Notre Dame is burning. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:01:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Notre Dame is burning. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Notre Dame is burning.  (Read 15323 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« on: April 15, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »

The God Emperor has some advise

I'm sure the men and women fighting to save this cultural treasures are well aware if the tools available to them and are conducting the heart-rending job of balancing the damage being done by the flames, the damage that will be done by the various means to try and fight it, and the need to save as much as possible. I'm equally confident Little Donnie is incapable of understanding that. Perhaps his babysitters could get him a model cathedral and some plastic aircraft to play with as a distraction, before he says something even more unfortunate?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:35:22 PM »

Appalling. I don't know what else I can say about this.

I was trying to figure out what in the United States would be remotely comparable and the closest I could come up with was if the National Cathedral, the Lincoln Memorial, and more than one of the really old Puritan->Congregationalist->UCC/UU churches in Eastern Massachusetts all went out at once. Even that might not be as scarring.

Probably something like the Statue of Liberty burning.

The equivalent in America would not even be a church. Notre Dame for the French and Parisians would be like the White House or Capitol for Americans. Its not a religion thing, its a national symbol.

Yes, but a national symbol without any functional (governmental) purpose, unlike the White House or Capitol.

Statue of Liberty is probably still the best analog. 

More like Statue of Liberty + Smithsonian or Library of Congress. We don't store a lot of unique history at the Statue of Ljberty.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies