Notre Dame is burning. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:24:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Notre Dame is burning. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Notre Dame is burning.  (Read 15332 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« on: April 15, 2019, 12:57:37 PM »

'Luckily' it's a 19th century replacement I think. But the roof is completely gutted.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »

Glasgow's number one historical building burned down...twice (second time during the restoration). Having said that, the first time the Mackintosh Library was gutted they were able to recover a great deal of metalwork and glasswork from the fire.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 02:41:44 PM »

I do wonder if the vaulted ceiling offered protection. If so, the damage might be contained.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 03:14:46 AM »

Told you the stone vaulted ceiling would offer protection Cheesy The fire was clearly ripping through the ceiling void and the wood. The fire service doused it with the right intensity to not bring it down further but no doubt the whole stone vault will need to be secured internally if it's been warped by the heat.

It's still a five year plus restoration at least but much less damage than was feared.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 03:32:32 AM »

And, outing myself further as an architectural geek, while the stained glass has been saved it may have internally shattered as happened with York Minster, so they'll need to check that out first and secure it with adhesive plastic before removal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies