Notre Dame is burning.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:51:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Notre Dame is burning.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Notre Dame is burning.  (Read 15348 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2019, 05:16:04 PM »

This is absolutely terrible, but it looks like it won't be as catastrophic as originally predicted. They seemed to be indicating they thought the whole structure would be lost just two hours ago. Losing the spires and the stain-glassed windows is a huge blow, though. Very sad, but thankfully the structure as a whole has survived.

I wonder if wouldn't it be better, due to impossibility of reconstructing the interior without it reeking artificiality, to turn the renovated cathedral into some sort of museum. Just a thought.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2019, 05:30:32 PM »

This is absolutely terrible, but it looks like it won't be as catastrophic as originally predicted. They seemed to be indicating they thought the whole structure would be lost just two hours ago. Losing the spires and the stain-glassed windows is a huge blow, though. Very sad, but thankfully the structure as a whole has survived.

I wonder if wouldn't it be better, due to impossibility of reconstructing the interior without it reeking artificiality, to turn the renovated cathedral into some sort of museum. Just a thought.
Why would it seem artificial? So many churches have burned down over the centuries and have been rebuilt perfectly and beautifully. Turning it into a museum means accepting to close the chapter on this church and, by extension, on Paris' and France's Christian identity. Which would seem completely unacceptable to me. In that case, it would not just be a metaphor for European civilization burning (fully expecting this to be deleted again) - it would literally be that.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2019, 05:31:17 PM »

Seeing from the TV images, it seems that the vaults of the cathedral have survived almost intact, although i'm not quite sure about that.    
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2019, 05:41:26 PM »

A Cathedral is a living building; there's no reason why it cannot be a restoration of a restoration (as it would be: and almost certainly will be). The memory, meaning and history lost won't be replaceable and it won't be as good - even if we ignore the difficulties of replicating techniques of the Middle Ages, even replicating those used in the great restoration of the 19th century will be hard going - but it will still be Notre-Dame, the great Cathedral of Paris. Consider the rebuilding of Reims Cathedral a century ago now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2019, 05:44:25 PM »

Anyway, the survival of the West End is, all things considered, something to be extraordinarily thankful for.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2019, 05:48:12 PM »

Seeing from the TV images, it seems that the vaults of the cathedral have survived almost intact, although i'm not quite sure about that.    
Some parts of the vaults have colapsed, but the majority seems intact.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »

If that is the full extent of the damages, that is a remarkable relief. Though I imagine the building must be greatly weakened.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2019, 05:51:58 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2019, 06:02:41 PM by Crumpets »

Wow. The altar survived? That's amazing! I'm not a religious person, but that absolutely warms my heart.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2019, 05:53:01 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2019, 06:09:03 PM by Keyboard Jacobinism »

A Cathedral is a living building; there's no reason why it cannot be a restoration of a restoration (as it would be: and almost certainly will be). The memory, meaning and history lost won't be replaceable and it won't be as good - even if we ignore the difficulties of replicating techniques of the Middle Ages, even replicating those used in the great restoration of the 19th century will be hard going - but it will still be Notre-Dame, the great Cathedral of Paris. Consider the rebuilding of Reims Cathedral a century ago now.

You're right. I posted this because I'm admittedly not very familiar with the business of reconstruction of really old and historically invaluable objects, items. I overlooked the spiritual factor too.

Now that you've mentioned all this, I'm reminded of people wondering whether there was any point of rebuilding Warsaw, or at least its historical parts. Not so long ago I actually had a conversation with an old man raised in pre-1944 Warsaw, who can't stand the reconstructed Old Town because it's artificial for him. But he too admitted it was a correct decision to rebuild. There were plans to just move capital to Łodź on a permanent basis and leave the rabbles as a reminder, but the rabbles were still Warsaw.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2019, 05:53:45 PM »

Wonderful! Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2019, 05:59:57 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2019, 06:15:02 PM by Keyboard Jacobinism »

Why would it seem artificial? So many churches have burned down over the centuries and have been rebuilt perfectly and beautifully. Turning it into a museum means accepting to close the chapter on this church and, by extension, on Paris' and France's Christian identity. Which would seem completely unacceptable to me. In that case, it would not just be a metaphor for European civilization burning (fully expecting this to be deleted again) - it would literally be that.

You're right. It's important for such symbols to endure. While writting this post I've been under the impression the interior is completely lost and forgot about long history of rebuilding ruined landmarks.

If the Warsaw Cathedral of St. John was destroyed (it already was destroyed once, in 1944), I most likely wouldn't entertain any other thought than rebuilding.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2019, 06:12:43 PM »

Donald Trump:

"The cause of the fire appears to be due to ...... RESTORATION.

Restoration....what's going on with that?"

The irony is that most of the restoration was funded by money from the USA.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2019, 06:23:24 PM »

Far more of the interior structure has survived than seemed plausible a couple of hours ago. Quite the credit to the original builders, and the 19th century restorers too.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2019, 06:32:45 PM »

Far more of the interior structure has survived than seemed plausible a couple of hours ago. Quite the credit to the original builders, and the 19th century restorers too.

It's crazy to think just hours ago most of us thing that even if the structure somehow holds, there's nothing left of the interior. A great relief.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2019, 06:39:07 PM »

Pretty sad when I first heard this fire I thought it was a fire in Notre Dame Indiana.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2019, 06:42:11 PM »

Am heading reports that the lower North rose window appears to have survived. Also sounds like it’s the only one that did.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »

With all the irreperable loss let's just be grateful the structure is saved. It would be absolutely heathwrenching to see Paris without Notre Dame.

Agreed, it's my favorite Parisian monument (and frankly the one real French people care about the most)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2019, 06:49:12 PM »

NO!
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »

Exactly, Notre Dame will not be the new Coventry!
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2019, 06:50:28 PM »

Exactly
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2019, 06:51:31 PM »

Anyway, the survival of the West End is, all things considered, something to be extraordinarily thankful for.

Yes, if there was a part of the cathedral that had to survive above all others, it was the West end.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2019, 06:52:32 PM »

Am heading reports that the lower North rose window appears to have survived. Also sounds like it’s the only one that did.

If true that could almost be called miraculous. North rose is/was actually the one with the most material from the Middle Ages.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2019, 07:17:25 PM »

Yes, if there was a part of the cathedral that had to survive above all others, it was the West end.

Good to see some heart muscle from our French compratiots.

Is the cathedral in Amiens built in a similar fashion, and a possibility that is will also eventually suffer a similar fate?

I was under the impression it was larger in size.

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2019, 08:14:11 PM »

You're right. It's important for such symbols to endure. While writting this post I've been under the impression the interior is completely lost and forgot about long history of rebuilding ruined landmarks.

If the Warsaw Cathedral of St. John was destroyed (it already was destroyed once, in 1944), I most likely wouldn't entertain any other thought than rebuilding.

Did the communist government of Poland drag their feet over rebuilding the Warsaw Cathedral of St. John?
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2019, 08:14:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies