Notre Dame is burning.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:21:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Notre Dame is burning.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Notre Dame is burning.  (Read 15191 times)
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 01:53:02 PM »

Just horrifying that such an important part of French history and culture is being destroyed. Awful, awful stuff. Sad
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 01:53:32 PM »

I literally feel sick hearing and watching this occur. I can't believe an "accident" like this could happen in 2019. Hearing that they are basically giving up on saving the structure is heartbreaking.

Also I think of this happening after the tragic shootings Paris has had over the past decade, it just brings a tear to my eye for the city of Paris.

I went to Paris a number of years ago with my now wife, and every single morning we were in Paris we went to daily mass at the Cathedral. It was a series of moments that really felt life changing. It is really saddening to know that Notre Dame will never exist as we knew it ever again.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »

This is absolutely gut-wrenching. They can and will rebuild. Notre Dame has many scars from throughout its history and it has survived a lot. I truly hope and believe this won't be the end of Notre Dame as we know it, even if it takes decades to rebuild.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 02:00:24 PM »

Just thought about it ...

I have been in there as well in 2005, while Interrailing through Europe with my girlfriend.

Will look for my old harddrive and dig out the pics from 14 years ago ... Sad
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 02:01:39 PM »

Accidentally I've been just re-reading Victor Hugo, thinking I must go and see the Notre Dame when I have a chance.

Heartbreaking. Sad day.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 02:05:16 PM »

Appalling. I don't know what else I can say about this.

I was trying to figure out what in the United States would be remotely comparable and the closest I could come up with was if the National Cathedral, the Lincoln Memorial, and more than one of the really old Puritan->Congregationalist->UCC/UU churches in Eastern Massachusetts all went out at once. Even that might not be as scarring.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 02:05:55 PM »

The God Emperor has some advise

I'm sure the men and women fighting to save this cultural treasures are well aware if the tools available to them and are conducting the heart-rending job of balancing the damage being done by the flames, the damage that will be done by the various means to try and fight it, and the need to save as much as possible. I'm equally confident Little Donnie is incapable of understanding that. Perhaps his babysitters could get him a model cathedral and some plastic aircraft to play with as a distraction, before he says something even more unfortunate?

They think that the pressure of the water drop could have buckled the walls.  However, nearly everyone was asking the same question. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 02:08:38 PM »

I was trying to figure out what in the United States would be remotely comparable and the closest I could come up with was if the National Cathedral, the Lincoln Memorial, and more than one of the really old Puritan->Congregationalist->UCC/UU churches in Eastern Massachusetts all went out at once. Even that might not be as scarring.

Probably something like the Statue of Liberty burning.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:52 PM »

hmm, I'm supposed to be going from Gare de Lyon to Montparnasse on Wednesday.

Might get out and have a closer look.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:54 PM »

The flying buttresses have counterweights on them; some of are on the roof.   The buttresses could fail, meaning the walls could collapse.

The right tower seems to be on fire now.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 02:11:30 PM »

The equivalent in America would not even be a church. Notre Dame for the French and Parisians would be like the White House or Capitol for Americans. Its not a religion thing, its a national symbol.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »

The equivalent in America would not even be a church. Notre Dame for the French and Parisians would be like the White House or Capitol for Americans. Its not a religion thing, its a national symbol.

Yes, but a national symbol without any functional (governmental) purpose, unlike the White House or Capitol.

Statue of Liberty is probably still the best analog. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 02:14:17 PM »

Apparently, the firefighters were stuck in a traffic jam and could only start with the work 30 minutes after the alert ...
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »

Yes, but a national symbol without any functional (governmental) purpose, unlike the White House or Capitol.

Yeah, that’s really the only apt comparison I could think of.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2019, 02:20:41 PM »

The American analogy would have to be St Patrick's (NY), the National Cathedral (DC), the Moron Tabernacle (UT) and Independence Hall (PA) all burnt at the same time.   
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2019, 02:22:09 PM »

Boobs
HCP

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 02:24:12 PM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47941794

A spokesman for the cathedral said the whole structure was "burning".
"There will be nothing left," he said. "It remains to be seen whether the vault, which protects the cathedral, will be affected or not."
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2019, 02:28:13 PM »

The American analogy would have to be St Patrick's (NY), the National Cathedral (DC), the Moron Tabernacle (UT) and Independence Hall (PA) all burnt at the same time.   

St Patricks, the National Cathedral and Mormon Tabernacle have no national significance to the vast majority of Americans.  Independence Hall probably isn't even recognizable by most Americans, much less internationally recognizable.

Notre Dame burning is eliciting such a strong reaction in France and around the world because it's probably the second most internationally-recognizable symbol of France, not (except for a small minority) for its religious significance.  The Statue of Liberty is perhaps the only similarly recognizable symbol of the United States. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2019, 02:29:23 PM »

Like Rockhound would say in „Armageddon“:

This is all like a Greek tragedy.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2019, 02:35:22 PM »

More like Statue of Liberty + Smithsonian or Library of Congress. We don't store a lot of unique history at the Statue of Ljberty.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2019, 02:41:33 PM »

It would probably have to be something akin to the Statue of Liberty collapsing.

EDIT: I see theres consensus
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 02:41:44 PM »

I do wonder if the vaulted ceiling offered protection. If so, the damage might be contained.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »

This is very sad. The Cathedral of Our Lady of Paris has a rich history like the coronation of King Henry VI, King Louis XIV, Mary Stuart, the coronation of Napoleon, Nazi occupation of France, the liberation of France, and more. A symbol of Paris, a symbol of France, and a symbol of Gothic architecture. My condolences to the French people.

C'est très triste. La Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris a une histoire riche comme le couronnement du roi Henri VI, du roi Louis XIV, de Marie Stuart, le couronnement de Napoléon, l'occupation nazie de la France, la libération de la France, et plus encore. Un symbole de Paris, un symbole de la France, et un symbole de l'architecture Gothique. Mes condoléances au peuple français.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2019, 03:04:21 PM »

French Interior Ministry: saving Notre Dame is not certain.
The firefighters fear that the fire could reach and destroy the North Tower.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies