I'd like to know what people think might have happened
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:27:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  I'd like to know what people think might have happened
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I'd like to know what people think might have happened  (Read 1895 times)
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2005, 05:46:03 PM »

in the 2000 election if the candidates for the Democratic side had been reversed. I.e Liberman was the presidential canidate and Gore the vice presidential candidate
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 06:29:49 PM »

It would have been a quick and decisive Bush victory. Lieberman is just a bad National office candidate. Gore did all he could, and won. (arguably Wink) Leiberman could have done everything and more and still easily lost.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 09:03:02 PM »

What about switching both candidates: Cheney vs. Lieberman. Both less charismatic but arguably more intelligent and rational then the presidential candidates. My mom, after watching the Vice-Presidential Debate in 2000, told me that both Cheney and Lieberman were both more intelligent and more courteous then Bush or Gore during the Presidential Debates. I didn't watch, but from what I've seen since, I believe her.

I would say, in that case, narrow Cheney Victory, but either way it would surely beat a Gore presidency. Even if I do dislike Lieberman's domestic policies strongly.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 10:26:20 PM »

As to the original question, Bush v Lieberman, a big win for Bush. 

Bush would have seen his already substantial margins in the south increase, and would have won Florida comfortably.  The Bush vote outside the south would as well increase, with the possible exception of New England.

Bush would add the very close states of Minnesota, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin to his electoral vote count.

Lieberman, although a personable individual and an effective Senator, would not be an effective Presidential nominee.

IMHO

Bush/Cheney            334
Lieberman/Gore        204   

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 10:09:08 AM »

winfield, i disagree with your assessment.

at the very least, i think leiberman would have an excellent chance in florida.  he was the big reason why gore came so close to winning the state.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 10:30:06 AM »

winfield, i disagree with your assessment.

at the very least, i think leiberman would have an excellent chance in florida.  he was the big reason why gore came so close to winning the state.

You could be right about Florida, although there are two schools of thought on that.  The African American vote and the Jewish vote are overwhelmingly Democrat, and would have gone to Gore regardless, IMHO.  I agree with you, if this is in fact what you are referring to, that Lieberman did have the effect of increasing Jewish turnout in Florida,  making the state extremely close.

In this election, Bush v Lieberman, however, even without Florida, I believe Bush would win over 300 EV.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies