WikiLeaks' Julian Assange has been arrested.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 06:38:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WikiLeaks' Julian Assange has been arrested.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: WikiLeaks' Julian Assange has been arrested.  (Read 4653 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »

First off, Wikileaks is not the press and neither is Julian Assange. I hope he rots in a filthy cell in misery for the rest of his life and feels every bit of it. With that said, hacking is not legal and you cannot justify breaking the law to get a story. Hacking should be illegal, because you have no constitutional right to break into anywhere to access information. It's no different than breaking into someone's office or home to dig up dirt on them.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2019, 10:35:41 AM »

First off, Wikileaks is not the press and neither is Julian Assange. I hope he rots in a filthy cell in misery for the rest of his life and feels every bit of it. With that said, hacking is not legal and you cannot justify breaking the law to get a story. Hacking should be illegal, because you have no constitutional right to break into anywhere to access information. It's no different than breaking into someone's office or home to dig up dirt on them.

You act like the government (NSA, etc) hasn't done this themselves forever.  That's what the Snowden leak was all about!

Drop the double standard.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2019, 10:36:33 AM »

The reality is that most people on Atlas would consider Assange a hero for the information he released about the US government.  They only hate him because of the information he released about Hillary Clinton and the Democratic National Committee.

Assange's big crime, his ONLY crime in the minds of most people here, is that he disclosed information that proved beneficial to Donald Trump.

I don't like hackers, so I'm not a fan of Assange.  As for his charges in the UK, we'll see.  But most of the outrage at Assange here is all about the fact that what he did helped Trump.  Let's get real; there's little principled outrage.
Both the outrage on the right for him embarrassing the US and on the left for helping Trump are pathetic and as I mentioned on the other threat, revealing the same imperialistic
worldview.

Another reason the left has lost me: This shows the rise of actual fascism when people are arrested for releasing facts.  You want to talk about freedom of the press?  Well, here it was.
He wasn't arrested for releasing the info. He was indicted for the actual hacking. This is not a "freedom of the press" case.
Except there isn't any evidence that he participated in hacking and what he is actually accuse of conspiracy, a charge well known for being as vague and broad as possible.

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2019, 10:41:14 AM »

The reality is that most people on Atlas would consider Assange a hero for the information he released about the US government.  They only hate him because of the information he released about Hillary Clinton and the Democratic National Committee.

Assange's big crime, his ONLY crime in the minds of most people here, is that he disclosed information that proved beneficial to Donald Trump.

I don't like hackers, so I'm not a fan of Assange.  As for his charges in the UK, we'll see.  But most of the outrage at Assange here is all about the fact that what he did helped Trump.  Let's get real; there's little principled outrage.
Both the outrage on the right for him embarrassing the US and on the left for helping Trump are pathetic and as I mentioned on the other threat, revealing the same imperialistic
worldview.

Another reason the left has lost me: This shows the rise of actual fascism when people are arrested for releasing facts.  You want to talk about freedom of the press?  Well, here it was.
He wasn't arrested for releasing the info. He was indicted for the actual hacking. This is not a "freedom of the press" case.
Except there isn't any evidence that he participated in hacking and what he is actually accuse of conspiracy, a charge well known for being as vague and broad as possible.
*Yawn*
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2019, 10:43:32 AM »

You act like the government (NSA, etc) hasn't done this themselves forever.  That's what the Snowden leak was all about!

Whatever the government has done isn't the subject here. Everyone knows the government has done plenty, but the topic is about Julian Assange and the fact that he broke the law. You made the silly assertion that he was arrested for "releasing facts" and "freedom of the press" when that is just not true. YOU LIED!
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2019, 10:45:40 AM »

worldview.

Hitler didn't personally kill any Jews, is he off the hook?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2019, 10:46:01 AM »

Good. I hope he never sees the light of day again. If there is any justice he'll be locked in a dark, solitary cell 24 hours a day and allowed no visitors or phone calls. He needs to pay dearly.

Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2019, 10:47:10 AM »

Whatever the government has done isn't the subject here. Everyone knows the government has done plenty, but the topic is about Julian Assange and the fact that he broke the law. You made the silly assertion that he was arrested for "releasing facts" and "freedom of the press" when that is just not true. YOU LIED!

Then arrest the government agents too. Shut down the NSA. 

You can be sure Obama would've hit Assange with those charges, and that they will come into play in these hearings.  But I'll let you win your technicality if you makes you feel better.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »

Funny how quickly the majority of the forum went from mocking Assange for being delusional for thinking the US government was after him to exulting about his impending imprisonment by the US government.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2019, 10:55:09 AM »

Funny how quickly the majority of the forum went from mocking Assange for being delusional for thinking the US government was after him to exulting about his impending imprisonment by the US government.

I mean, news broke that the US govt had indictments prepared against him early-mid 2018 or earlier. And it never should have been a delusional idea to think that they would do that, either. Although not sure how many posters here actually thought, up to this day, that this was all conspiratorial thinking.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2019, 10:57:32 AM »

Good. I hope he never sees the light of day again. If there is any justice he'll be locked in a dark, solitary cell 24 hours a day and allowed no visitors or phone calls. He needs to pay dearly.

And? He's a criminal and he needs to pay.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2019, 11:01:45 AM »

Then arrest the government agents too. Shut down the NSA. 

You can be sure Obama would've hit Assange with those charges, and that they will come into play in these hearings.  But I'll let you win your technicality if you makes you feel better.

This isn't about winning anything, it's about the fact that you made an argument that Assange was arrested because of fascism, releasing facts and freedom of the press. That is not true.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2019, 11:12:52 AM »

I'm not feeling well so I slept in late, plus Minneapolis is under an epic snowstorm NOW.

And then I wake up to this. What a great thing to turn it around!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2019, 11:15:55 AM »

Assange is always a weird one for me. I always leaned a bit more favorable to Snowden versus him, as Assange is much more concerned with spinning everything in a certain way and trying to build a favorable narrative for one country through... well, questionably legal means.

One thing is clear to me, though. Unlike Snowden with his initial NSA-related leaks, I cannot assume altruistic intentions from Assange. He’s a political agent trying to promote a specific country’s agenda. I actually don’t dislike the idea of Wikileaks on its own - and often the publication of the information revealed through there is a net positive - but the way it’s been curated to only include leaks damaging to certain target groups feels dishonest to me.

So yeah, I really don’t know with Assange.

(Also, aside from all this, doesn’t he also face rape charges in Sweden? Or am I thinking of someone else?)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »

Hard to argue with this:

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2019, 11:50:17 AM »

Assange is always a weird one for me. I always leaned a bit more favorable to Snowden versus him, as Assange is much more concerned with spinning everything in a certain way and trying to build a favorable narrative for one country through... well, questionably legal means.

One thing is clear to me, though. Unlike Snowden with his initial NSA-related leaks, I cannot assume altruistic intentions from Assange. He’s a political agent trying to promote a specific country’s agenda. I actually don’t dislike the idea of Wikileaks on its own - and often the publication of the information revealed through there is a net positive - but the way it’s been curated to only include leaks damaging to certain target groups feels dishonest to me.

(Also, aside from all this, doesn’t he also face rape charges in Sweden? Or am I thinking of someone else?)
The rape charges were probably faked on Washington’s orders.
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2019, 12:11:05 PM »

This Putin's agent should be taken to court and sentenced to life imprisonment.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2019, 12:11:58 PM »

Have you guys seen the video of him being dragged-out of the embassy?
They had to pick him up by holding his entire body in the air, including his legs.
And I read that in the Ecuadorian Embassy, in the room he was staying-in, had (his) feces all over the walls.
What a gross man.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2019, 12:13:26 PM »

The rape charges were probably faked on Washington’s orders.

If not mistaken, rape charges (Sweden) happened a long time ago, way before the US had real problems with him. So there is not a connection.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2019, 12:19:06 PM »

They had to pick him up by holding his entire body in the air, including his legs.
And I read that in the Ecuadorian Embassy, in the room he was staying-in, had (his) feces all over the walls.
What a gross man.

Clearly he thinks he's Bobby Sands.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2019, 12:39:25 PM »

Hopefully he gets locked up for quite some time.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2019, 12:47:25 PM »

Another reason the left has lost me: This shows the rise of actual fascism when people are arrested for releasing facts.  You want to talk about freedom of the press?  Well, here it was.

Would you be OK with you or your child being doxed?

I know this question wasn't meant for me, but it reflects poorly on you as a person if somebody you know has done something that is terrible but legal and you are against somebody else exposing it.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2019, 01:01:10 PM »

What a gross man.

So were they holding him up to get a good huff of the jenkem? 

Keep believing this nonsense, just like the "pee-tape".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2019, 01:01:50 PM »

MY KING IS ALIVE
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23