2008 Mock Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:14:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  About this Site
  The Atlas
  2008 Mock Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008 Mock Election  (Read 554 times)
Republican_Carpetbagger
Evan_Winkler
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »

I suspect that this topic has already been done before, but how did John McCain win this site’s 2008 mock presidential election? Considering the left-leaning character of this site, Barack Obama’s near-landslide victory in the actual election, and the overall anti-neocon/anti-Bush/anti-evangelical sympathies that I imagine that most Internet forum posters circa 2008 had, I initially expected Obama to win overwhelmingly. Did the Atlas’s politically savvy users dislike Obama’s attitude (which many found to be irreverent or irresponsible)? Were they drawn to McCain’s professionalism, experience, and moderate politics? Was the character of the Atlas just more right-wing in 2008 than it is now (The hard-right was also arguably a mainstay in the early days of Internet forums)? It’s probably a combination of these if not one that includes other factors that I forgot to mention.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 06:35:38 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2019, 07:31:40 PM by Gravelanche »

First of all, I don't think this forum was nearly as tilted towards the left/Dems then as it is now; a lot of the current alignment comes from 2016 and Trump-era joiners, and even more from circa 2012.  Also, a lot more longtime posters seemingly have shifted left than shifted right. Obviously I'm not the most qualified to fill in the details, but the forum's political leans weren't always this obtuse.

Well nvm I was wrong lol
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 06:42:15 PM »

Basically, (a) voting in mock elections is limited to registered members of Dave Leip's U.S. Election Atlas, and (b) that is not the same thing as being a poster on Atlas Forum (though there is obviously some overlap). In 2008 IIRC, the mock election was flooded by non-forumites who joined Atlas specifically to vote for McCain.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »

I think it got Freeped. Just like the 2012 one got Daily Paul'd.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »

I think it got Freeped. Just like the 2012 one got Daily Paul'd.

This. We got a shoutout from partisan sites both times.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 08:12:26 PM »

Atlas lol may just have a tradition of supporting the losing candidates
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »

First of all, I don't think this forum was nearly as tilted towards the left/Dems then as it is now; a lot of the current alignment comes from 2016 and Trump-era joiners, and even more from circa 2012.  Also, a lot more longtime posters seemingly have shifted left than shifted right. Obviously I'm not the most qualified to fill in the details, but the forum's political leans weren't always this obtuse.

Well nvm I was wrong lol

Nope its true I did an interactive TL in 2016 and the results of every election was super close every time and Republicans won many times as well(I believe mine went from 1988-2012) . It happened on many Interactive TL's as well.

Then I did a similar one in 2017 and Democrats won every time

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies