Was Hillary Clinton a victim of sexism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:34:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Was Hillary Clinton a victim of sexism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Was Hillary Clinton a victim of sexism  (Read 99132 times)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 04:12:10 PM »

I doubt it. Is there any evidence for that?

Sure, some men (and women?) are sexist and hence probably didn't vote for her. But you can argue that there are women (and men?) that voted for her because they felt it was time for woman to become a president (so basically the case of a positive discrimination) even though all other things being equal they would vote for Trump.

So the question remains: is there any evidence that the negative discrimination outweighed the positive one? As I said, I doubt it. I think the difference was insignificant.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »

There may have been an element of it, but to pin her loss on sexism is ignoring many of her flaws as a candidate.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 11:40:48 PM »

Yes, and it's the fundamental reason she lost.

Obviously, and almost all women are. All the leftists here saying otherwise because they hate $hillary are either just dishonest or terrible progressives.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2019, 03:13:34 PM »

Obviously. To what extent it impacted the results is up for debate, but the fact that it existed is an objective fact.
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2019, 03:48:32 PM »

No, she was a victim of her own bad campaign. Why would people vote for someone when she calls them a basket of deplorables?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2019, 04:36:55 PM »

No, she was a victim of her own bad campaign. Why would people vote for someone when she calls them a basket of deplorables?

This, plus there are more female voters than male voters.

It's a little hard to consider someone a victim of "sexism" when a mere 18 years earlier, she was facilitating a whispering campaign against women accusing her husband of all sorts of sexual misconduct as a combination of "nuts and sluts".  It makes it a little hard when, 18 years later, you come out with a statement of how all women presenting themselves as victims should be believed, and believed pretty much unconditionally.  It didn't help Hillary when people actually brought this up during the campaign.

As Hillary Clinton is less able to take responsibility for her own shortcomings than Donald Trump is (and that's really saying something), her snatching defeat from the jaws of victory shouldn't shock anyone.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2019, 11:32:01 PM »

Women can also participate in sexism.

It's a little hard to consider someone a victim of "sexism" when a mere 18 years earlier, she was facilitating a whispering campaign against women accusing her husband of all sorts of sexual misconduct as a combination of "nuts and sluts".  It makes it a little hard when, 18 years later, you come out with a statement of how all women presenting themselves as victims should be believed, and believed pretty much unconditionally.  It didn't help Hillary when people actually brought this up during the campaign.

This has nothing to do with the original question of "was Hillary a victim of sexism." History isn't zero sum.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2019, 05:59:58 AM »

Women can also participate in sexism.

This has nothing to do with the original question of "was Hillary a victim of sexism." History isn't zero sum.

Hillary's being female was a plus.  An unqualfied plus.  And she squandered it with her own persona, which is rather nauseating and self-absorbed. 

"Buh my Trump!"  Trump was seen as giving up benefits to himself for the sake of his country by running for President.  How true this is can certainly be debated, but that narrative has some credibility and certainly got some traction.  Hillary's self-absorption is a fact of her life; it's always about HER in her mind, and it's always HER turn.  This is a narrative that she fostered, consciously and unconsciously, and it's not something that has helped her.  People don't care that it's HER turn; they wonder when THEIR turn is coming. 
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2019, 09:39:09 AM »

Yes, although there are MANY other, more significant reasons for why she lost.

I also don't think it's any coincidence in 2018 that two female Senators from red states lost re-election (Heitkamp and Air Claire) while two male Senators from red states won by a few points (Tractor Jon and Manchin)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2019, 02:57:09 PM »

Hillary's being female was a plus.  An unqualfied plus. 

Citation needed.

And she squandered it with her own persona, which is rather nauseating and self-absorbed.

"Buh my Trump!"  Trump was seen as giving up benefits to himself for the sake of his country by running for President.  How true this is can certainly be debated, but that narrative has some credibility and certainly got some traction. Hillary's self-absorption is a fact of her life; it's always about HER in her mind, and it's always HER turn.  This is a narrative that she fostered, consciously and unconsciously, and it's not something that has helped her.  People don't care that it's HER turn; they wonder when THEIR turn is coming. 

Penalizing women and rewarding men for trying to fulfill personal ambition (i.e., embracing a "persona") is such a well documented misogynistic phenomenon that at this point it's basically a trope. Good god Fuzzy you're proving the point and you're not even realizing it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2019, 03:07:10 PM »

Citation needed.

And she squandered it with her own persona, which is rather nauseating and self-absorbed.

"Buh my Trump!"  Trump was seen as giving up benefits to himself for the sake of his country by running for President.  How true this is can certainly be debated, but that narrative has some credibility and certainly got some traction. Hillary's self-absorption is a fact of her life; it's always about HER in her mind, and it's always HER turn.  This is a narrative that she fostered, consciously and unconsciously, and it's not something that has helped her.  People don't care that it's HER turn; they wonder when THEIR turn is coming. 

Penalizing women and rewarding men for trying to fulfill personal ambition (i.e., embracing a "persona") is such a well documented misogynistic phenomenon that at this point it's basically a trope. Good god Fuzzy you're proving the point and you're not even realizing it.

Whatever Trump said, or didn't say, in the 2016 campaign, he didn't say "It's my turn!".  That's an appeal that is repulsive to most Americans when it comes to their political leaders because it smacks of monarchy and not a republican form of government. 

Sexism didn't do Hillary in.  Elitism did.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2019, 03:25:09 PM »

Citation needed.

Whatever Trump said, or didn't say, in the 2016 campaign, he didn't say "It's my turn!".  That's an appeal that is repulsive to most Americans when it comes to their political leaders because it smacks of monarchy and not a republican form of government. 

Hillary was never running on "it's my turn!" That's a smear that was able to stick because society, at large, still does not know how to process a woman seeking higher leadership positions and not administering to a caretaker/supporter role. It wasn't substantiated by anything other than people's pre-existing conceptions of her. Nobody is arguing that Bernie Sanders or Joe Biden is running a 2020 platform based on "it's my turn," despite being in very similar positions.

I think there is real merit to the argument that (perceived) elitism was what did Hillary in. But denying any influence of misogyny is laughable.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2019, 03:54:37 PM »

Citation needed.

Hillary was never running on "it's my turn!" That's a smear that was able to stick because society, at large, still does not know how to process a woman seeking higher leadership positions and not administering to a caretaker/supporter role. It wasn't substantiated by anything other than people's pre-existing conceptions of her. Nobody is arguing that Bernie Sanders or Joe Biden is running a 2020 platform based on "it's my turn," despite being in very similar positions.

I think there is real merit to the argument that (perceived) elitism was what did Hillary in. But denying any influence of misogyny is laughable.

Is it "misogyny" to suggest that her "Girl Power" campaign (e. g. the "Fight Song" ad) was poorly received?  That her constant references to "the condition of women and girls" was insulting to the parents of boys (not to mention that the condition of boys in America has deteriorated significantly but seems to never get a peep of interest from, truthfully, either major party)?
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2019, 12:14:55 AM »

Is it "misogyny" to suggest that her "Girl Power" campaign (e. g. the "Fight Song" ad) was poorly received?

Maybe? I don't remember this being an issue at all. Either way a single instance of criticism not being misogynistic does not disprove the larger point.

That her constant references to "the condition of women and girls" was insulting to the parents of boys (not to mention that the condition of boys in America has deteriorated significantly but seems to never get a peep of interest from, truthfully, either major party)?

Not sure what the point you are trying to make here is. Gender criticism is not so zero sum that highlighting the (very real and contemporary) issues women face is obviously not of direct detriment to men. Constant references to "the condition of women and girls" IS a pervasive issue that needs to be addressed - it being unfamiliar to you is perhaps more of a commentary on the political discourse you are used to hearing than it is on Clinton's campaign.

And yes before I get bombarded with anecdotes I am a straight cis male who suffers from very real depression and inhabits a work environment that is 2/3 female and gender inequality is still a very real issue. Occasionally you hear a complaint that is dumb and unfounded but on the whole despite my condition I can acknowledge that these concerns are real without it being at the expense of my own well being.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2019, 11:18:22 AM »

Was Lil' Marco a victim of hyperhidrosisphobia?

It is probably was a bigger factor for Rubio's loss  than mythological sexism towards Clinton  Pacman
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2019, 02:47:10 PM »

Here's a question: if Biden wins in 2020 (primary and general) will you guys admit Hillary was a victim of sexism? This question is mainly targeted at Sanders supporters.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2019, 03:30:33 PM »

Here's a question: if Biden wins in 2020 (primary and general) will you guys admit Hillary was a victim of sexism? This question is mainly targeted at Sanders supporters.

How would that prove shlt with an unpopular Trump?
SInNYC

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »

How the heck would that prove anything? By just about every single source, Biden was consistently to Hillary's left during Obama's presidency (especially on foreign policy), which *should* make him less objectionable to Sanders supporters.

And there's also the fact that Hillary's campaign assumed they would win and was perceived as saying 'we dont need your vote anyway'. People aren't going to assume a Trump loss this time.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 11:04:51 AM »

Yes.

Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 01:07:29 PM »

Trump was unpopular in 2016 as well
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »

Trump was unpopular in 2016 as well

Was he more popular than he was now?  I would wager an incumbent Trump is actually at more of a disadvantage than an "outsider" Trump running against a Democrat after 8 years of Democratic rule.  Hillary was pretty unpopular, herself, and it was not just because she was a woman.
VeniceItaly
Rookie
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 03:42:46 PM »

If Hillary was a straight white male and Trump was a black transgender pansexual, I'd still support Trump over Hillary and a lot of people feel the same way. Sexism is just an excuse for a terrible candidate who ran a terrible campaign 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »

If Hillary was a straight white male and Trump was a black transgender pansexual, I'd still support Trump over Hillary and a lot of people feel the same way. Sexism is just an excuse for a terrible candidate who ran a terrible campaign 

Lol, you and your cohort would never support a black transgender pansexual, and to suggest otherwise is totally disingenuous.
VeniceItaly
Rookie
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2019, 11:12:17 PM »

Lol, you and your cohort would never support a black transgender pansexual, and to suggest otherwise is totally disingenuous.
Stop acting like you know me. I am part of the LGBT community and half-black. I have gotten more hate from liberals for my views then hate from Republicans for me being bi-sexual or black and I know a lot of conservatives that would vote for a gay conservative/ black conservative etc..   
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 03:50:28 AM »

With this attitude, you'll keep losing the support of people you could otherwise have. Sad! You seem to treat anyone with a non-red (or right wing) avatar as someone who must be sexist/racist/homophobic/whateverphobic. Do you say this type of stuff to those with differing views IRL? Or do you surround yourself with only those that agree with you politically?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies