Modi’s popularity near peak levels
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:06:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Modi’s popularity near peak levels
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Modi’s popularity near peak levels  (Read 1102 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2019, 10:01:50 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/elections/news/modis-popularity-back-to-peak-levels-after-air-strike-survey-says/amp_articleshow/68755760.cms

Great news but hope he uses it to reduce the power of the   bureaucratic state and liberalize the economy and become India’s Reagan and Thatcher
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 10:07:55 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/elections/news/modis-popularity-back-to-peak-levels-after-air-strike-survey-says/amp_articleshow/68755760.cms

Great news but hope he uses it to reduce the power of the   bureaucratic state and liberalize the economy and become India’s Reagan and Thatcher
That would cause a collapse of the Indian economy. The Indian elite aren't in the same situation as in America, they need more developed institutions and stability before finding the limit for austerity.

Anyway terrible news. I expect more communal tensions and revisionism that would start bringing in hurt down the line.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 11:05:11 PM »

>Peak Popularity
>43% Approval Rating
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 11:30:21 PM »

In India that’s a pretty high approval rating , and Is considered good in many nations as well .

If BJP gets 40% they will win big again.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 08:16:47 AM »

Great news!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 08:39:41 AM »

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 09:57:25 AM »

The usual suspects supporting another racist bigot, then.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »

The BJP will lose seats because Congress is a bit less dysfunctional than it was five years ago but it's certainly not going to lose power.

You're better than this, Cathcon.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 01:16:04 AM »

Ewww.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 03:08:10 AM »

Computer, after the last five years, you can't genuinely believe that Modi's interested in 'liberalizing the economy' or 'decreasing India's bureaucratic state' right? Literally in the article you just posted, it says that Modi's increased popularity might be coming from a 10% quota for the economically weak and cash handouts for farmers. Like do you have any reason to believe any of the stuff you're saying other than 'Rahul Gandhi sucks'?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 03:19:39 AM »

Computer, after the last five years, you can't genuinely believe that Modi's interested in 'liberalizing the economy' or 'decreasing India's bureaucratic state' right? Literally in the article you just posted, it says that Modi's increased popularity might be coming from a 10% quota for the economically weak and cash handouts for farmers. Like do you have any reason to believe any of the stuff you're saying other than 'Rahul Gandhi sucks'?

The main reason why his popularity increased is due to his decisive response against Pakistani Terrorists, and it makes sense as it is the job for a leader to respond strongly against terrorism especially when a foreign government may have had a role in that attack.

Also another article I posted gave reasons why people who aren't nationalists or even liberals can like him and why almost even every Indian-American Bernie supporter I know supports Modi as well.

For the reasons I like him well he has done a great job on infrastructure, has done a good job responding to terrorist attacks, he has done a better job than almost every leader in the world right now(To be fair that isnt saying much at all given the state of world leadership today, and the fact that Gujarat Economy did well during his tenure as chief minister.

Now I  like the CDN Tories more than the BJP and I like the Non Trumpist GOP better as well so if we had a leader from one of those parties become President/CDN PM they would become my favorite world leader
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 10:23:37 AM »

Imagine supporting Modi.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 05:33:34 PM »

My entire family, all of my friends along with my parents friends support Modi and many of them are pretty liberal as well. Like I have many friends who are Sanders supporters and they all support Modi as well. Compared to the vast majority of them I wouldnt be considered a Modi supporter.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 01:57:40 PM »

So what excuse do you have for this...
Modi's party chief vows to throw illegal immigrants in India into Bay of Bengal
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) President Amit Shah referred such illegal immigrants as “termites”, a description he also used last September, when he drew condemnation from rights groups. The U.S. State Department also noted the remark in its annual human rights report.

“Infiltrators are like termites in the soil of Bengal,” Shah said on Thursday at a rally in the eastern state of West Bengal, as voting in India’s 39-day general election started.

“A Bharatiya Janata Party government will pick up infiltrators one by one and throw them into the Bay of Bengal,” he said, referring to illegal immigrants from neighboring Muslim-majority Bangladesh.

SInNYC

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 09:12:59 AM »

My entire family, all of my friends along with my parents friends support Modi and many of them are pretty liberal as well. Like I have many friends who are Sanders supporters and they all support Modi as well. Compared to the vast majority of them I wouldnt be considered a Modi supporter.

It is quite common for people to be conservative/nationalist in their original country and liberal in their adopted country. You mention Indians, presumably Hindus. Lots of recent immigrants from the middle east are hard right on social issues or wear hijabs (unlike liberal seculars in their home country) but vote D. Lots of Jews are liberal in the US but support Likud and don't support any rights for Palestinians. Plenty of Latinos who support right wing anti-worker authoritarians in their original country vote D. And  Americans who live in other countries tend D even though they may come from R demographics. And then there is the case of people bringing old world battles with them (Cubans, Vietnamese, etc.).

Conservatism is often about majoritarianism, not about any fundamental ideological beliefs, and conversely for liberalism. Once you perceive yourself in the minority, you vote liberal. And then you get absorbed a few generations down the line (if you don't look too different) and become conservative against the new minority.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »

It is quite common for people to be conservative/nationalist in their original country and liberal in their adopted country. You mention Indians, presumably Hindus. Lots of recent immigrants from the middle east are hard right on social issues or wear hijabs (unlike liberal seculars in their home country) but vote D. Lots of Jews are liberal in the US but support Likud and don't support any rights for Palestinians. Plenty of Latinos who support right wing anti-worker authoritarians in their original country vote D. And  Americans who live in other countries tend D even though they may come from R demographics. And then there is the case of people bringing old world battles with them (Cubans, Vietnamese, etc.).

Conservatism is often about majoritarianism, not about any fundamental ideological beliefs, and conversely for liberalism. Once you perceive yourself in the minority, you vote liberal. And then you get absorbed a few generations down the line (if you don't look too different) and become conservative against the new minority.

That would be understandable for Hillary/Modi supporters but not so much Bernie/Modi supporters .
Almost all of them despise SJW as well though , and even on immigration are not really liberal either .

The friends who we have who are  Bernie/Modi supporters are mainly Democratic cause of environmental issues or they are very liberal on economic issues . The Hillary/Modi supporters we know are mainly Dem cause of the GOP being too much of a religious right party and then liking Bill Clinton .

It’s not for the reasons many think it would be
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »

I'm ethnic Indian, and I can tell you that my family views the INC as a corrupt party and consistently mocks their party leaders, and some of them are die-hard Democrats. But, Modi probably could lose, if his opposition was as not as tainted as the INC. I think from what I've heard, Indians view him as cleaning up corruption and reforming the country, personally I'm not too big of a fan of him, and get skewered for saying that, but he is probably better than the INC
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies