Libya: Haftar goes for Tripoli
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:28:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Libya: Haftar goes for Tripoli
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Libya: Haftar goes for Tripoli  (Read 1229 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »

Strongman Khalifa Haftar has launched an operation to take Tripoli. It looks like his Libyan National Army had been making some pretty substantial progress, and I wouldn't be surprised if the city falls soon.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:53:35 AM »

The Libyan National army took the Tripoli International Airport. This could bring an end to Libya’s 2nd civil war this decade in a short amount of time, as the LNA has control of most of Libya, excluding small parts of the Mediterranean coast and the southwest of the country.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 01:13:12 PM »

Is Haftar still considered the relatively culturally liberal/secular choice in Libya or have I fallen behind the news?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 02:37:02 PM »

Is Haftar still considered the relatively culturally liberal/secular choice in Libya or have I fallen behind the news?

Haftar is what ever he wants to be in a given day.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 07:00:00 PM »

No, and he never was.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 06:15:34 AM »

Haftar is what ever he wants to be in a given day.

Reminds me somewhat of a previous Libyan ruler, name escapes me for the moment.......
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 08:04:02 AM »

No, and he never was.

I mean, he is modestly secular by Libya standards, but he is absolutely not liberal by any stretch of the imagination.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 08:55:21 AM »

No, and he never was.

I mean, he is modestly secular by Libya standards, but he is absolutely not liberal by any stretch of the imagination.

But then nor was Napoleon, yet in the context of the liberalisation of the French state he was a key part of it, all things considered (I'm not going into his foreign expeditions). Haftar can at least play that role more effectively the Egyptian and the Algerian army leaders have done in the past.

At this point the country needs a government Europe can make deals with with a reasonably secular codified legal structure. It can go back to tribal divisions when the migration flows stabilise. 
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 09:03:46 AM »

No, and he never was.

But then nor was Napoleon, yet in the context of the liberalisation of the French state he was a key part of it, all things considered (I'm not going into his foreign expeditions). Haftar can at least play that role more effectively the Egyptian and the Algerian army leaders have done in the past.

At this point the country needs a government Europe can make deals with with a reasonably secular codified legal structure. It can go back to tribal divisions when the migration flows stabilise. 
He won’t do any of that, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he tries to form a Junta government with sham elections. It is fact at this point that military men never behave any different from the last regime, like ever.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 09:08:25 AM »

No, and he never was.

He won’t do any of that, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he tries to form a Junta government with sham elections. It is fact at this point that military men never behave any different from the last regime, like ever.

I'm not discounting that, I'm saying that there's more likely a chance that he advances Libya towards modern statehood than similar military regimes around them ever did. Hence the whole "Haftar is the secular voice" Schtick that the media is coming out with. They're oversimplifying but the alternative to Haftar is unsustainable.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »

No, and he never was.

Most of the world isn't liberal.  In much of the world outside the West, the leftists would be considered socially conservative by our standards.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 09:37:16 AM »

No, and he never was.

Most of the world isn't liberal.  In much of the world outside the West, the leftists would be considered socially conservative by our standards.

So, eastern Libya is economically conservative while western Libya is socially conservative?
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »

No, and he never was.

So, eastern Libya is economically conservative while western Libya is socially conservative?

No, I'm saying most of the world is socially conservative, and only "the West" is fairly socially liberal. 
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 10:04:14 AM »

No, and he never was.

Most of the world isn't liberal.  In much of the world outside the West, the leftists would be considered socially conservative by our standards.

No, I'm saying most of the world is socially conservative, and only "the West" is fairly socially liberal.  

Social liberalism is not what "liberalism" means in this context, though. When we say Haftar is illiberal, we mean that he will likely not adhere to small-d democratic norms, that he represses freedom of expression and criticism, and that he will likely not seek to integrate Libya into the global community of nations.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 10:56:02 AM »

[/quote]

Social liberalism is not what "liberalism" means in this context, though. When we say Haftar is illiberal, we mean that he will likely not adhere to small-d democratic norms, that he represses freedom of expression and criticism, and that he will likely not seek to integrate Libya into the global community of nations.
[/quote]

Liberalism and "liberalism" are fairly tied together though.  You wouldn't use conservative as a synonym for illiberal in this case, would you?
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 02:12:16 PM »

Some of his best fighters these days are salaifis so make of that what you will. But he is probably still more secular than the militias that spend most of their time fighting each other in Tripoli.
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.67, S: -2.92

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 02:53:10 PM »

People's Front of Judea vs. Judean People's Front.

Detached part of the Maghreb vs. detached part of Egypt. really. I guess the "Tripoli" vision of Libya is somewhat more compatible with Western ideals than the "Benghazi" vision, but see Sirte (and Mosul, fwiw - Sunni Iraqis used to be fairly secular) - sometimes it's just a vote with the middle finger.
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 08:43:44 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2019, 09:08:59 PM by HenryWallaceVP »

Interestingly, Italy is supporting the National Accord Government, while France is supporting Haftar. As much as I hate the current Italian government, they're on the right side in this case.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 12:10:44 AM »

Lets go Haftar! Secular Stability!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies