FT 10-27: Resolution on the Autonomy of Regional Elections (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:57:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 10-27: Resolution on the Autonomy of Regional Elections (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 10-27: Resolution on the Autonomy of Regional Elections (Passed)  (Read 541 times)
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
« edited: April 12, 2019, 07:21:30 PM by Esteemed Speaker Jimmy7812 »

A RESOLUTION
to sustain the autonomy of regional elections against federal overreach

WHEREAS, the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia secures to the Regions, and to they alone, the right to regulate all their elections, including the election of their representatives to the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia; and

WHEREAS, that right necessarily includes the power, unmitigated by federal intrusion, of prescribing the manner and time for conducting their elections, and the electorate by which their several officers and representatives may be chosen; and

WHEREAS, any federal provision, or amendment, prescribing the manner in which elections for a regional office, or an office elected by the regions, may or must be carried out, is therefore a rescission of the rights granted the Regions and a violation of the autonomy of their elections; and

WHEREAS, the Senate may not be truly said to represent the Regions, but if its members are chosen by them, according to their own rules and methods;

RESOLVED, THEREFORE, the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Frémont condemns the Recall of Senators Amendment proposed in the Senate and calls on the Senators for Frémont to oppose its ratification by the Congress.

Parliament of the Commonwealth of Fremont
Passed

Sponsor: Harry S Truman
Designation: FT 10-27
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:32:27 PM »

FT 10-27 is now on the floor. Debate on this legislation has begun and shall last for no less than 72 hours.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 04:35:53 PM »

I am in strong and strident support of this resolution. The Senate is the body of the regions, and the regions must have the sole power to prescribe their autonomy.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 06:16:48 PM »

Lol, this is the 2nd resolution in the Fremont parliament against a bill proposed by me. Tongue

Either way, message received. Unlike the train bill this is still in the Senate, so if this resolution passes, I will motion to table the ammendment in the Senate.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 06:22:42 PM »

Lol, this is the 2nd resolution in the Fremont parliament against a bill proposed by me. Tongue

Either way, message received. Unlike the train bill this is still in the Senate, so if this resolution passes, I will motion to table the ammendment in the Senate.

No. We do not necessarily call for the bill to be tabled. Rather we oppose the current wording, and call for a return to the original wording, to allow the regions to administer recalls themselves.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 06:24:36 PM »

A RESOLUTION

WHEREAS, the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia secures to the Regions, and to they alone, the right to regulate all their elections, including the election of their representatives to the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia; and

WHEREAS, that right necessarily includes the power, unmitigated by federal intrusion, of prescribing the manner and time for conducting their elections, and the electorate by which their several officers and representatives may be chosen; and

WHEREAS, any federal provision, or amendment, prescribing the manner in which elections for a regional office, or an office elected by the regions, may or must be carried out, is therefore a rescission of the rights granted the Regions and a violation of the autonomy of their elections; and

WHEREAS, the Senate may not be truly said to represent the Regions, but if its members are chosen by them, according to their own rules and methods;

RESOLVED, THEREFORE, the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Frémont condemns the Recall of Senators Amendment proposed in the Senate and calls on the Senators for Frémont to oppose its ratification by the Congress.

FURTHER RESOLVED, THEREFORE, the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Frémont calls for the Senate to amend the Recall of Senators Amendment to revert it to its original wording, to allow the regions to continue to govern their Senators themselves as they see fit.

Pending

Amendment to make our position crystal clear.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 06:53:39 PM »

Condemnation resolutions are low energy.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »

Well it's been rather effective, given a senator just sponsored an amendment to allay all of our concerns.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 02:13:11 PM »

I'd like to suggest an amendment for clarity/syntax

WHEREAS, any federal provision, or amendment, prescribing the manner in which elections for a regional office, or an office elected by the regions, may or must be carried out, is therefore constitutes a rescission of the rights granted the Regions and a violation of the autonomy of their elections; and

WHEREAS, the Senate may not be truly said to represent the Regions, but if its members are chosen by them, unless its members be chosen by them according to their own rules and methods;

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 04:37:01 PM »

WHEREAS, any federal provision, or amendment, prescribing the manner in which elections for a regional office, or an office elected by the regions, may or must be carried out, is therefore constitutes a rescission of the rights granted the Regions and a violation of the autonomy of their elections; and

WHEREAS, the Senate may not be truly said to represent the Regions, but if its members are chosen by them, unless its members be chosen by them according to their own rules and methods;

Firstly, of course, unless an MP sponsors this amendment it isn't valid.
Secondly, this amendment vastly degrades both the syntax and tone of this resolution, and I oppose it. The resolution at current is worded in a most agreeable manner by Truman, and I see no reason to spoil it. The resolution is already crystal clear, and does not need to be degraded in quality of wording in the pursuit of clarity and simplicity.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 11:29:14 PM »

Secondly, this amendment vastly degrades both the syntax and tone of this resolution, and I oppose it. The resolution at current is worded in a most agreeable manner by Truman, and I see no reason to spoil it. The resolution is already crystal clear, and does not need to be degraded in quality of wording in the pursuit of clarity and simplicity.

If you want to use "therefore" without a formal antecedent, and the unusual construction of "but if" to mean "unless," go ahead.  It doesn't matter one way or another in the grand scheme of things, especially as it's not going to be actionable as law.   I'm sorry I brought it up.   I get the message loud and clear:  you aren't interested in citizens' suggestions on legislation.  That's a shame, but so be it.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 11:39:53 PM »

If you want to use "therefore" without a formal antecedent, and the unusual construction of "but if" to mean "unless," go ahead.  It doesn't matter one way or another in the grand scheme of things, especially as it's not going to be actionable as law.   I'm sorry I brought it up.   I get the message loud and clear:  you aren't interested in citizens' suggestions on legislation.  That's a shame, but so be it.

No, far from it, I am most pleased that you as a citizen have given us a suggested amendment, I'm extremely impressed and do deeply wish more people were like you. This is absolutely fantastic. And you should have brought it up, because you as a citizen should be involved in the legislative process.

However I do feel that I should respond to any suggestion from any citizen with regards to legislation, possibly a bit bluntly but that's my personality. Personally I really like the language used in this resolution, and I don't particularly like the wording you've used. But that doesn't mean I feel you shouldn't have brought it up. You most certainly should have. And indeed it would be nice if other MPs would weigh in with regards to this.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 12:03:02 AM »

No, far from it, I am most pleased that you as a citizen have given us a suggested amendment, I'm extremely impressed and do deeply wish more people were like you. This is absolutely fantastic. And you should have brought it up, because you as a citizen should be involved in the legislative process.

However I do feel that I should respond to any suggestion from any citizen with regards to legislation, possibly a bit bluntly but that's my personality. Personally I really like the language used in this resolution, and I don't particularly like the wording you've used. But that doesn't mean I feel you shouldn't have brought it up. You most certainly should have. And indeed it would be nice if other MPs would weigh in with regards to this.

Alright then, that's good to hear.   I'm sure the language is fine as it is; I just found myself having to translate it in my own head in order for it to make sense to me.  I had no expectation of my suggestion being a valid amendment without an MP officially putting it forward; it was just easier to format it as an amendment.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 06:47:31 PM »

I move for a final vote. 24 hours for objections.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »

I move for a final vote. 24 hours for objections.

Members have 24 hours for objections.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 06:27:31 PM »

A final vote has started on FT 10-27, which shall last for 48 hours or until the whole membership has voted.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »

Aye
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 06:29:10 PM »

Aye
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 06:30:46 PM »

Aye.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 06:50:41 PM »

Aye
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 09:41:01 PM »

Aye
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 01:51:44 AM »

Aye
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 07:21:09 PM »

FT 10-27 has passed by a vote of 6-0-0-1.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »

Sorry for missing this.

A RESOLUTION

FURTHER RESOLVED, THEREFORE, the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Frémont calls for the Senate to amend the Recall of Senators Amendment to revert it to its original wording, to allow the regions to continue to govern their Senators themselves as they see fit.

Passed

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies