Why was New Hampshire so close?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:41:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why was New Hampshire so close?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
NH was a good fit for both candidates.
NH was a good fit for Clinton.
NH was a good fit for Trump.
NH was a bad fit for either candidate.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Why was New Hampshire so close?  (Read 3328 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »

Clinton won that state by only 2,736 votes or 0.37%. Every county swung towards Trump, and only the two "big" ones trended towards her.

The interesting thing about that race was the senatorial election held at the same time, which delivered an even closer result (with one more county going to the Democrat).
While New Hampshire swung heavily towards the GOP in the presidential election, each county swung away from the Republican incumbent Kelly Ayotte and even trended towards the Democratic contender Maggie Hassan.

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:31:41 PM »

Option 2.

Anyway, I’ve been asking myself this since Nov. 8, 2016. The Clintons are beloved in the state, Democrats did extremely will even in 2014, they consider Trump a misogynist, etc. When I realized how close it really was on election night, I knew Trump had already won the entire election.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 05:52:49 PM »

Option 2.

Anyway, I’ve been asking myself this since Nov. 8, 2016. The Clintons are beloved in the state, Democrats did extremely will even in 2014, they consider Trump a misogynist, etc. When I realized how close it really was on election night, I knew Trump had already won the entire election.

I'd rather say opt. 3 or 4.
Obama and Romney were both obviously perfect fits for that state, but Obama nevertheless won it by over 5%.
If there is an utterly one-sided swing, one may conclude that the candidate who has profited from the swing is the real deal, or both candidates put potential voters off.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »

Opt. 3

Trump's populist edge made him great for the rural areas, and his decidedly less Southern flavor made him workable in the Boston burbs.

Really, those factors combined should've put him over the top.

That and the state hasn't voted to the left of Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, or Michigan for like...ever. And if Michigan and Pennsylvania were supposed to go to Hillary by 2 or 3...

Factor that with Molly Kelly losing 2018, and it really doesn't make sense at all that he lost.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 07:25:35 PM »

Opt. 3

Trump's populist edge made him great for the rural areas, and his decidedly less Southern flavor made him workable in the Boston burbs.

Really, those factors combined should've put him over the top.

That and the state hasn't voted to the left of Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, or Michigan for like...ever. And if Michigan and Pennsylvania were supposed to go to Hillary by 2 or 3...

Factor that with Molly Kelly losing 2018, and it really doesn't make sense at all that he lost.

Keep in mind that gubernatorial elections ≠ federal elections. NH generally doesn’t vote against pro-choice Democratic white women for Senate or president, and even Sununu would have never been elected if he wasn’t pro-choice. The state is very liberal when it comes to social issues (and increasingly on economic issues as well).
Hydera

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 08:04:13 PM »

Option 2.

I have a feeling that New Hampshire being a college educated bastion who likes more respectable candidates was overstated. A lot of people in New Hampshire are middle class but on 2016 exit polls the amount of people who said the economy was not good+poor was 56%.

Plus a lot of suburbanites in the state came from Massachusetts to escape higher taxes there and were going to vote for trump just because of his promise to lower taxes even if they were college grads.

Plus the margin of those who said trump was untrustworthy was -26 but for hillary it was -28 meanwhile hassan had a favorable rating of +3 and ayotte was -4.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:48:05 PM »

New Hampshire is a small state that tries to function as a tax haven.  As such, it has a decent number of socially moderate to liberal types who are not receptive to high tax policies.

Never underestimate the power of a tax issue to motivate Republican voters, especially in a place like NH.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 10:40:45 PM »

New Hampshire is a small state that tries to function as a tax haven.  As such, it has a decent number of socially moderate to liberal types who are not receptive to high tax policies.

Never underestimate the power of a tax issue to motivate Republican voters, especially in a place like NH.

Around here, New Hampshire definitely has a reputation for being a place where you can buy stuff with fewer taxes because of their 0% sales tax (and also get recreational-use fireworks, which are banned in MA but legal in NH).
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 03:14:21 AM »

Out of the options in the poll, New Hampshire was just a bad fit for both and it was a battle on which one was less so
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 05:28:36 PM »

Anyone else remember Indy Rep telling us that it was so inelastic that even though it was so class, it had always been safe Clinton?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »

What's more interesting is Gore lost the state with roughly the same map.

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 02:02:47 PM »

In the 90s, New Hampshire was a “rust belt” state and a bastion of paleoconservatism. It was only in the 9/11 era that it became a blue state.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »

In the 90s, New Hampshire was a “rust belt” state and a bastion of paleoconservatism. It was only in the 9/11 era that it became a blue state.

How was it a bastion of paleoconservatism? Sure, it elected Bob Smith and Pat Buchanan did well there but was it really strong for that strain of thought beyond them?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies