Death penalty supporters only: what crimes should be punishable to death?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:22:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Death penalty supporters only: what crimes should be punishable to death?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Death penalty supporters only: what crimes should be punishable to death?  (Read 2976 times)
Red Velvet
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2021, 05:04:56 PM »

War crimes and nothing else.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2021, 06:26:54 PM »

Only absolutely extreme cases like Hitler or Bin Laden - though I would not expect people in this position to be taken alive.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 09:16:56 PM »

Posting cringe
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2021, 07:35:58 AM »
« Edited: April 03, 2021, 08:13:57 AM by MarkD »

Here's one particularly good answer so far:
- First-degree murder (i.e., any intentional murder that is willful and premeditated with malice aforethought)
 - Felony murder (i.e., murder in the commission of another felony, such as robbery, kidnapping or carjacking)
 - Terrorism (i.e., premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets, or providing material support to accomplish such)
 - High treason (i.e., levying war against the US, or adhering to their enemies)

I would add as well the act of murdering a police officer (when the killer knew their victim was an officer).(Thank you, Law & Order, Season 6, Episode 3, entitled "Savages," which portrayed the prosecution of a cop-killer shortly after the state of New York re-instated the death penalty. Jack McCoy supported imposing the death penalty on a person who knowingly killed an undercover cop while his assistant, Claire Kincaid, was absolutely opposed to the death penalty, and they had a couple of fascinating little debates about whether the death penalty is morally correct.)

A few posters have said that rape and child molestation should be the basis of the death penalty as well. The SCOTUS has already said no to both of those -- they said no to the death penalty for rape in 1977, the case of Coker v. Georgia, and they said no to the death penalty for child molestation in 2008, the case of Kennedy v. Louisiana. I have no objection to either of those rulings. It makes sense to me that imposing the death penalty for non-lethal sex crimes, even as heinous as molesting children, is too severe of a form of punishment. I would like to castrate rapists and child molesters, though!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2021, 10:48:13 AM »

- First-degree murder (i.e., any intentional murder that is willful and premeditated with malice aforethought)
- Felony murder (i.e., murder in the commission of another felony, such as robbery, kidnapping or carjacking)
- Terrorism (i.e., premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets, or providing material support to accomplish such)

^^^^^^

This.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2021, 08:04:14 PM »

^^^^^^

This.

I agree. I also think cases of rape would qualify, especially if the rape was on a child.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 10:44:29 PM »

^^^^^^

This.

I agree. I also think cases of rape would qualify, especially if the rape was on a child.

If that rape ultimately resulted in death, certainly I would agree.  Otherwise, I would leave his fate to the prison guards and/or his fellow inmates.... 
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 10:50:18 PM »

^^^^^^

This.

If that rape ultimately resulted in death, certainly I would agree.  Otherwise, I would leave his fate to the prison guards and/or his fellow inmates.... 

Fair.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 11:30:19 PM »

1st degree murder, Terrorism, and Treason.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2021, 06:56:52 PM »

1st Degree Murder and above (aggravated, multiple)(and only with more proof than usual).
Child rape.
Treason to an enemy country.
Sex trafficking (no low-ranking people, just the leaders)

Military only:

War Crimes (where an innocent civilian who was not near combatants and not carrying a weapon is killed)
Desertion (wartime only, and draftees are exempt).
Defection to an enemy or neutral country.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2021, 10:27:40 PM »

First Degree Murder
Rape
Child Molestation
Terrorism
Treason

Given the events of January 6th, I'd also like to add sedition and insurrection.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2021, 10:48:08 PM »

First Degree Murder
Rape
Child Molestation
Terrorism
Treason

Given the events of January 6th, I'd also like to add sedition and insurrection.
I was the only one to mention sedition before. Smiley But I am still inclined to say the death penalty for sedition should be reserved for military use only.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2021, 11:20:57 PM »

Multiple Instances of First Degree Murder
High Treason
Genocide abetting
Sex trafficking [leading]
Terrorism

The rest would be better served for either rehabilitation or the cruel mercy of life without parole, solitary confinement.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 09:35:26 AM »

The only ones I can think of are:

1st Degree Murder
Sexual Battery (Victim <12, Defendant >18)
Selling or Buying of Minors into Human Trafficking

Other charges, like war crimes or terrorism, are unnecessary as they could be prosecuted as above.  Prosecuting those cases specially as war crimes or terrorism instead of for murder is just introducing additional elements for the government to prove. And terrorism or war crimes that don't result in the above shouldn't be capital crimes.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 11:28:20 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2021, 11:32:09 AM by West_Midlander »

Murder (some cases, especially very brutal murders)*
Mass murder or serial murder
Rape
Child molestation
Terrorism
Treason
Organizing/leading in sex-trafficking

*Depending on the facts of a case, I think a prison sentence up to and including life could be appropriate for single-murder murderers (in some cases).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2021, 04:31:27 PM »

A case-by-case basis is key, but definitely muder, r*pe, high treason, and a few others.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2021, 08:17:10 AM »

What trimesters should it be allowed in? Should there be any procedural requirements, funding restrictions, or special safety regulations?
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2021, 01:05:11 PM »

most petty street crime with really loose evidentiary standards for deciding guilt too
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2021, 05:17:13 PM »

Murder and rape
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2021, 09:37:06 PM »

Murder, rape, kidnapping, treason
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2021, 08:45:55 AM »

Murder, mutilation, treason, breaches of the public trust, and financial crimes.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2021, 09:24:03 AM »

Murder, mutilation, treason, breaches of the public trust, and financial crimes.

Why would the last two require the death penalty?
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2021, 03:13:51 PM »

Why would the last two require the death penalty?
I believe the death penalty, if it should be used, and I am not sure of that, should be applied in cases where the perpetrator has been deemed unfit to live in society following their crime.

In the latter cases I am referring to things like a US Senator engaging in twenty years of skimming money from campaign funds, not a no-name representative lying about having a mistress.  This is more aimed at elected officials, not a DMV desk clerk that does a little wrong.

In the second case, I believe large-scale scammers have shown themselves unfit to live in society as their scams hurt many people and have left people with nothing.  Again, this is not meant to catch a cashier that takes $5 out of the register, but more people like Bernie Madoff or Enron.

I'd also be fine with corporal punishment for more minor offenses along these lines.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies