Where did you stand on the lockdowns?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:00:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Where did you stand on the lockdowns?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: When COVID was getting started, were you for or against lockdowns?
Supported the lockdowns

Against the lockdowns

No true opinion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Where did you stand on the lockdowns?  (Read 1864 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2021, 03:45:45 PM »

I was supportive in March, reluctantly supportive in December. Unconstrained spread of a virus with the severity of Covid in a virgin population would have been, and in the places where it occurred would was, a catastrophe, and sacrificing a month or two of the entire populations lives (and it is important to be clear that is what lockdown means, life without interaction is a form of low level torture) to dampen and ameliorate that spread was the least bad option.

But now we're in August, in almost every western country any adult who wishes to can and mostly have availed themselves of vaccines that are more than 95% effective for a virus with a death rate of about 1% and I wonder if I was too naive. We have open talk of doing this all again in the winter to alleviate seasonal strain on the health service, we have politicians mandating that pupils, who are at almost no risk of complications themselves, wear a mask all day in school at untold cost to their education, we have a life that is far less accountable (it is almost impossible now, for instance, to book a GP appointment) as each professions seize on this chance to make their own jobs easier. I worry that a turbo charging of what happened after 9/11 is under way, where public health bureaucrats take advantage of the populations statistical innumeracy to win the peace, in spite of their demonstrable failure in the heat of crisis, and are empowered to inflict immense pain on the public, most of all those on the margins, the lonely and the young.

I have never understood the people who think there is a major, organized conspiracy from the public health bureaucrats to continue lockdown as long as possible. Are they on the extreme of the lockdown debate due to their overcautious nature? Yeah. Is there an active, provable conspiracy on the same scale as the military-industrial complex? Show. It. To. Me. Bush Jr, Haliburton, and the oil companies all did it in broad daylight. Meanwhile you guys are saying there is a big conspiracy amongst the public health bureaucrats because they somehow profit from this situation. Apart from public visibility they don't, and that public visibility makes them potentially hated by a majority of the population watching!

Show me the bread trail and I'll take the conspiracy seriously.

....OK?

I did not say and do not think that the public health people operate some shadowy cabal where they try to manipulate the public into doing their bidding, they are merely responding to the same incentives in the same way.  But it is naive to think that they don't profit from this situation because their profit is obvious. Over the course of the pandemic they were suddenly given unprecedented prominence, respect a platform and to some extent power- its difficult to walk away from that and a lot of people can't, you only have to look at  the actions of politicians or celebrities whose careers are on a downward trajectory to see that.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2021, 04:21:36 PM »

I was supportive in March, reluctantly supportive in December. Unconstrained spread of a virus with the severity of Covid in a virgin population would have been, and in the places where it occurred would was, a catastrophe, and sacrificing a month or two of the entire populations lives (and it is important to be clear that is what lockdown means, life without interaction is a form of low level torture) to dampen and ameliorate that spread was the least bad option.

But now we're in August, in almost every western country any adult who wishes to can and mostly have availed themselves of vaccines that are more than 95% effective for a virus with a death rate of about 1% and I wonder if I was too naive. We have open talk of doing this all again in the winter to alleviate seasonal strain on the health service, we have politicians mandating that pupils, who are at almost no risk of complications themselves, wear a mask all day in school at untold cost to their education, we have a life that is far less accountable (it is almost impossible now, for instance, to book a GP appointment) as each professions seize on this chance to make their own jobs easier. I worry that a turbo charging of what happened after 9/11 is under way, where public health bureaucrats take advantage of the populations statistical innumeracy to win the peace, in spite of their demonstrable failure in the heat of crisis, and are empowered to inflict immense pain on the public, most of all those on the margins, the lonely and the young.

I have never understood the people who think there is a major, organized conspiracy from the public health bureaucrats to continue lockdown as long as possible. Are they on the extreme of the lockdown debate due to their overcautious nature? Yeah. Is there an active, provable conspiracy on the same scale as the military-industrial complex? Show. It. To. Me. Bush Jr, Haliburton, and the oil companies all did it in broad daylight. Meanwhile you guys are saying there is a big conspiracy amongst the public health bureaucrats because they somehow profit from this situation. Apart from public visibility they don't, and that public visibility makes them potentially hated by a majority of the population watching!

....OK?

I did not say and do not think that the public health people operate some shadowy cabal where they try to manipulate the public into doing their bidding, they are merely responding to the same incentives in the same way.  But it is naive to think that they don't profit from this situation because their profit is obvious. Over the course of the pandemic they were suddenly given unprecedented prominence, respect a platform and to some extent power- its difficult to walk away from that and a lot of people can't, you only have to look at  the actions of politicians or celebrities whose careers are on a downward trajectory to see that.

And that was hardly election-winning or celeb popularity was it? In Belgium a Public Health "dictator" was forced to go into hiding with his family as he was hunted down by a fascist maniac, armed to the teeth. But yeah he is accused of wanting to hug the limelight because he has a twitter account and loves to troll his detractors. In other countries like the UK you've seen public officials have their private lives exposed or step down due to burnout.

The idea that they are obsessed with the limelight and lick their lips at a new lockdown so that they can re-occupy your TV screen is actually an insult and it just drives the rhetoric up that puts their lives quite literally in danger. But it became a PIPING HOT TAKE as people tried to realise there was NO SIMPLE SOLUTION to a wicked problem and looked for someone to blame.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2021, 05:11:12 PM »

....OK?

And that was hardly election-winning or celeb popularity was it? In Belgium a Public Health "dictator" was forced to go into hiding with his family as he was hunted down by a fascist maniac, armed to the teeth. But yeah he is accused of wanting to hug the limelight because he has a twitter account and loves to troll his detractors. In other countries like the UK you've seen public officials have their private lives exposed or step down due to burnout.

The idea that they are obsessed with the limelight and lick their lips at a new lockdown so that they can re-occupy your TV screen is actually an insult and it just drives the rhetoric up that puts their lives quite literally in danger. But it became a PIPING HOT TAKE as people tried to realise there was NO SIMPLE SOLUTION to a wicked problem and looked for someone to blame.

If you think that I'm inciting violence then there's not really much point in continuing this conversation because you're not operating in good faith. You may wish to reflect on the fact that this
embarrassing screed would apply equally to any of the dozens of posts a day on this site criticising politicians.

To be crystal clear though, by new found respect I doesn't just mean access to the media, though that is certainly a motivator for some of them. I mean the way their bosses, their friends and family and colleagues treat them. Its not a unique slander on public health bureaucrats. Professionals, almost irrespective of which field they are in, love to tell outsiders how hard their job is, how necessary their expertise is. Hell, I have done this in my own work. A lot of time we're right. But hell, a lot of time our 'its more complicated than that' is just self aggrandizement.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2021, 05:39:21 PM »

....OK?

I did not say and do not think that the public health people operate some shadowy cabal where they try to manipulate the public into doing their bidding, they are merely responding to the same incentives in the same way.  But it is naive to think that they don't profit from this situation because their profit is obvious. Over the course of the pandemic they were suddenly given unprecedented prominence, respect a platform and to some extent power- its difficult to walk away from that and a lot of people can't, you only have to look at  the actions of politicians or celebrities whose careers are on a downward trajectory to see that.

If you think that I'm inciting violence then there's not really much point in continuing this conversation because you're not operating in good faith. You may wish to reflect on the fact that this
embarrassing screed would apply equally to any of the dozens of posts a day on this site criticising politicians.

Not directly, but this whole #discourse on Public Health Bureaucrats installing, either willingly or by accident, a "Sanitary Dictatorship" definitely opens the door to acts of violence, just like the tone Farage and the Brexiteers used with "breaking point" can be linked to Jo Cox (without directly engaging in incitement to violence).  

To be crystal clear though, by new found respect I doesn't just mean access to the media, though that is certainly a motivator for some of them. I mean the way their bosses, their friends and family and colleagues treat them. Its not a unique slander on public health bureaucrats. Professionals, almost irrespective of which field they are in, love to tell outsiders how hard their job is, how necessary their expertise is. Hell, I have done this in my own work. A lot of time we're right. But hell, a lot of time our 'its more complicated than that' is just self aggrandizement.

Well, is that really such a big problem in the grand scheme of things, during a world wide pandemic? They now get to toot their horn that their work over years has allowed them to react to a pandemic, and make precise policy recommendations (emphasis on the last word because the politician ultimately decides these measures).

There are honestly a whole swathes of civil servants and politicians who hug the limelight much more and whose work is far less valuable that Public Health experts.

There's also the "policy window" phenomenon. Sure they want to push through things like healthy living and whatnot during the pandemic, making for example the case that obesity was a genuine issue in tackling this pandemic. That isn't as nakedly cynical as say, the policy window opening after a terrorist attack and immediately the intelligence services trying to get their snouts in the trough.

Overall, the abuse these people are getting for trying to control a wicked problem is just trying to find some human scapegoat. Its an incredibly difficult virus (due to a combination of it being extremely contagious, but not deadly enough scare some, yet still deadly enough to cripple a Western country's medical infrastructure). The way it could have been limited from a human perspective lies solely in the initial phases when the local Chinese bureaucrats lied and the WHO failed to maintain objectivity. The subsequent national policy responses have saved lives.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2021, 06:04:38 PM »

Not directly, but this whole #discourse on Public Health Bureaucrats installing, either willingly or by accident, a "Sanitary Dictatorship" definitely opens the door to acts of violence, just like the tone Farage and the Brexiteers used with "breaking point" can be linked to Jo Cox (without directly engaging in incitement to violence). 

This is absolutely vile stuff. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Well, is that really such a big problem in the grand scheme of things, during a world wide pandemic? They now get to toot their horn that their work over years has allowed them to react to a pandemic, and make precise policy recommendations (emphasis on the last word because the politician ultimately decides these measures).

There are honestly a whole swathes of civil servants and politicians who hug the limelight much more and whose work is far less valuable that Public Health experts.

There's also the "policy window" phenomenon. Sure they want to push through things like healthy living and whatnot during the pandemic, making for example the case that obesity was a genuine issue in tackling this pandemic. That isn't as nakedly cynical as say, the policy window opening after a terrorist attack and immediately the intelligence services trying to get their snouts in the trough.

Overall, the abuse these people are getting for trying to control a wicked problem is just trying to find some human scapegoat. Its an incredibly difficult virus (due to a combination of it being extremely contagious, but not deadly enough scare some, yet still deadly enough to cripple a Western country's medical infrastructure). The way it could have been limited from a human perspective lies solely in the initial phases when the local Chinese bureaucrats lied and the WHO failed to maintain objectivity. The subsequent national policy responses have saved lives.

It's odd to be so patronised by someone who hasn't actually read what I've written. I'm not litigating, and have not really criticised the public health response from March 2020 to March 2021. I in fact explicitly have said that I acceded to the argument for lockdowns then. Your impassioned defence of their actions is completely unnecessary, because I recognise that it really was a wicked problem.

My posts in this thread have all been about the situation as it is today. And today it is no longer a wicked problem. We have an incredibly effective vaccine that is available to everyone who wants it, but a large proportion of the public health industry are trying to pretend it is, and that can not be allowed to happen.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2021, 06:14:35 PM »

It's odd to be so patronised by someone who hasn't actually read what I've written. I'm not litigating, and have not really criticised the public health response from March 2020 to March 2021. I in fact explicitly have said that I acceded to the argument for lockdowns then. Your impassioned defence of their actions is completely unnecessary, because I recognise that it really was a wicked problem.

My posts in this thread have all been about the situation as it is today. And today it is no longer a wicked problem. We have an incredibly effective vaccine that is available to everyone who wants it, but a large proportion of the public health industry are trying to pretend it is, and that can not be allowed to happen.

The title of this thread is in the past tense.

what serious public health expert is advocating a 2020 style lockdown next winter in the UK or other heavily vaccinated countries?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2021, 06:16:17 PM »

You compared public health experts and their non-existant power grab to events after 9/11.

When a virologist ends up being shot dead you and the other so called progressive professional thinkers who badger the anti-expert discourse are the ones who will be ashamed.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2021, 07:49:01 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2021, 08:44:31 AM by afleitch »

We have an incredibly effective vaccine that is available to everyone who wants it, but a large proportion of the public health industry are trying to pretend it is, and that can not be allowed to happen.

Who in the public health industry has any legitimacy in Boris' government?

I'd say there is 'sway' at Holyrood (and this was the case before covid), but our restrictions are only a half step behind rUK which doesn't seem to indicate the level of power misuse you seem to be alluding to.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2021, 11:19:48 AM »

We have an incredibly effective vaccine that is available to everyone who wants it, but a large proportion of the public health industry are trying to pretend it is, and that can not be allowed to happen.

Who in the public health industry has any legitimacy in Boris' government?

I'd say there is 'sway' at Holyrood (and this was the case before covid), but our restrictions are only a half step behind rUK which doesn't seem to indicate the level of power misuse you seem to be alluding to.

With the possible exception of Hancock, who in any case is now out of the game, you're right that the tories in government have been instinctively hostile to SAGE since the first lockdown. But being mates with the cabinet is not a prerequisite for influencing policy, and there have been multiple instances where leaking and briefing to the press has bounced the government into changing strategy. To be clear, that leaking, coming as it did pre vaccine, no doubt saved thousands of lives. But that doesn't mean that those same means can't be put effectively to different ends now.

In a specific scottish context I suppose I might seem paranoid, after all almost all restrictions are indeed going to be lifted on monday. What I'd say to this is that relaxation now is what I would expect even within the worst case scenario. Because of the seasonality of the virus and of others like it I am not worried about lockdowns and restrictions persisting in the summer - that would clearly be a bridge too far for the electorate. My concern is that they will become a normalised tool used by public health and NHS managers, to be imposed over the winter indefinitely as a way of managing healthcare capacity. We will need to wait a few months to see if this will pan out, and I'd love nothing more than to be wrong. But I was very perturbed when Sturgeon kept the mask mandate for secondary students in schools (she said until a review in 6 weeks, but we all know how often this has been said over the last 18 months). Not only is this horrifically unjust on its own terms, given it places the most onerous remaining restriction on the section of society that are not allowed to get vaccinated, that have suffered the most from the restrictions and have gained the least, its a real statement of intent. Unlike with the mask mandates more generally it is not a trivial demand- there is no comparison at all between wearing one for 5 minutes in a shop and for 8 hours at work. If the SNP are willing to enforce that now, why would they not pull the other levers when the winter approaches and the beds fill up?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2021, 11:30:32 AM »

Totally opposed to lockdowns.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2021, 11:53:47 AM »

In favor up until the vaccine became widespread (so maybe two months ago?)  There were always people that seemed to go overboard and imply we should basically become hermits last year and I opposed that as well.  Stay away from others and wear masks, yes, but we don't need to hide from the world while doing so.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2021, 12:12:04 PM »

I was never a fan, but I accepted the idea when it was just three weeks to slow the spread. Time passed and the goalposts kept moving though. Eventually three weeks became over a year. I still believe that lockdowns are okay when employed in a strict and limited sense, but governments have demonstrated that they cannot be trusted to use the lockdowns in this manner.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2021, 05:19:11 PM »

I was pro-lockdown until early May 2020, when I switched to being pro-lockdown for the vulnerable.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2021, 10:53:33 PM »

the bureaucrats and politicians who implemented them deserve speedy trials and capital punishment
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies