Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:08:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY  (Read 165705 times)
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« on: April 02, 2019, 10:20:57 PM »

I am done with this state and WI politics. Now we have an anti-LGBT SCOTUS who supports conversion therapy and created a school firing LGBT teachers and students. On top of that, Evers won't be able to undo any of the mess Walker has made.

My question is WHY were Republicans so motivated to vote this year?
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 10:24:54 PM »

I promise you, Atlas, you will be seeing a different state next to my username in the next six months.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 10:26:30 PM »

The weird thing is in this day in and age this is for sure a winning map in WI.

Yeah, but Hagedorn really overperformed in the Milwaukee suburbs/WOW counties + Dem underperformance in Milwaukee County.

Pretty typical for a spring election without an incumbent. Milwaukee doesn't care unless you make them care.

I still don’t get how Hagedorn was able to win this when Rebecca Dallet won her race in a blowout.
increased republican turnout. democrats held what dallet got for the most part

Yeah, Motivated to get out and vote for a religious and very anti-LGBT bigot? What is wrong with Wisconsin?
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 10:33:15 PM »

I am sick to my stomach that Hagedorn MIGHT have won. I guess outside of Milwaukee and Dane, Wisconsin really is a truly backward and bigoted state.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 10:50:00 PM »

I reckon Atlas will be seeing a "D-Minnesota" tagline under my username in the next 5-6 months if Hagedorn wins! My faith in the future for WI Dems has officially been tainted.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 11:00:17 PM »

I reckon Atlas will be seeing a "D-Minnesota" tagline under my username in the next 5-6 months if Hagedorn wins! My faith in the future for WI Dems has officially been tainted.

Once I'm done with my degree, I'm officially out for sure. WI voters can keep their state backwards if they want.

Fortunately, I'll be graduating with my MA degree from Edgewood College in Madison next month. After that, I can easily leave Wisconsin.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 11:23:29 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2019, 11:31:50 PM by Scottholes 2.0 »

The bleakest part of the night is that WI is going to be ground zero in 2020, the D nominee campaign is going to call Arch and that "Scottie" guy getting their MA degree for GOTV, and they'll say they moved out of the state because D's lost some judge race in 2019.

Yeah guys, at least wait until 2020 to see if Trump carries it again before giving up on Wisconsin. We might need those 2 votes! Tongue

Dane can't offset the loss of two of our votes, as evidenced by this election, so I suppose you're right. I'll see where my future is headed once I graduate. Smiley
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »
« Edited: April 03, 2019, 11:04:30 AM by Scottholes 2.0 »

It is comical for anyone to regard Wisconsin as "Safe R" based on an election with higher Republican enthusiasm and turnout. I am a firm believer that WI has more Democrats than Republicans, but this election merely reinforced the idea that when Milwaukee and Dane Dems fail to match the Republican enthusiasm and turnout seen across the state, then WI becomes a Lean R state. Contrary to what others think on here, even Dane County could have produced at least 10k more votes to save the Dems.

However, this election does make me fear for 2020 because I just don't trust Milwaukee to turnout even when the DNC gets held there. Thanks, Milwaukee! Now the GOP maintains a majority in the state supreme court, (and even if 2020 goes the other way, they will still maintain the 5-4 lead) this likely means there will be no legal THC for the state, and no meaningful redistricting/anti-gerrymandering reform, and probably zero sound environmental policies probably for at least another decade. We just turned WI backward....AGAIN.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 08:32:50 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2019, 08:36:14 PM by Scottholes 2.0 »

Ozaukee County seems to be divorcing Waukesha and Washington Counties. It voted 63% Republican last night just like in 2018. I guess Ozaukee County now votes R in the low 60s. I know Waukesha County is trending D, but not fast enough! There are still too many hypocritical wealthy college-educated white Republicans left in that crazy county! Believe it or not, though, there are a lot of Democrats in Waukesha County that could've voted. I am so saddened for my state and the WI Democratic Party. Hatred truly won last night!
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 12:18:02 AM »

Can someone explain how dems got 79% in Dane? Sure Dane is trending D and turnout was exceptionally high but 79%?. Is this likely to remain in 2020? Will Dane still be 79% D when Wisconsin is won by under 1 point in 2020?

How? Dane continues to prove that it is the sanest part of the state. Waukesha County (aka Walkersha County) is full of college-educated far right-wingers who need to wake up!
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 11:25:05 PM »

Hagedorn's lead has grown. I am very disappointed in Wisconsin Democrats. The next maps will be rigged in the GOP's favor again.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 11:25:58 AM »

I'm sorry, but after last week's SCOTUS race, I doubt there will be fair redistricting in Wisconsin for at least another decade.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 10:59:50 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2019, 11:06:58 PM by Scottholes 2.0 »

The latest MU Law School poll in WI shows that 46 percent of registered voters approve of President Trump (a 2 percent increase since January), while 52 percent disapprove of him. Scott Walker lost re-election with a 48 percent approval rating, so let's hope Trump's approval rating stays stagnant until November 2020.

Moreover, Evers' approval rating is 47 percent while 37 percent disapprove of him and 15 percent don't have an opinion of him.

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 11:14:44 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2019, 11:20:15 PM by Scottholes 2.0 »

^That’s a lot better than his national average. Regardless of whether Trump wins the state again or not (in a close race, I’d be surprised if he didn’t), it’s pretty clear that WI will vote to the right of the nation as a whole and have an R PVI after 2020.

Frankly, I'm shocked it's even that high. I expect Trump to do worse in WOW than Walker and underperform his winning margin in that region in 2016. He must be consolidating support in the rural parts of the state or the Fox Valley. Either way, my state is unpredictable. WI has clearly reverted back to its pre-Obama years when presidential elections were dead heats. It's sad to know that another Democratic presidential candidate may not be as popular as Obama was in WI.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 12:23:40 AM »

It looks like Milwaukee County lost population last year, even more than Wayne County. Hopefully, Dane can continue to offset that loss for Democrats: https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/census-dane-county-leads-state-in-population-growth-more-than/article_3ae7268e-8f02-52e3-a599-8787064dcf60.html

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/04/18/metro-detroit-grand-rapids-michigan-population-growth/3495025002/
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 01:31:38 PM »

As of now Milwaukee has lost about 1/3 of an Assembly Seat. Dane County has gained almost 3/4s of an Assembly District. No other county saw a change more than 1/5 of a district.

Thank goodness for Dane!
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 08:01:18 PM »

Honestly, not when stuff like this keeps happening: https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-supreme-court-restores-all-scott-walker-appointees/article_7937bbd9-4285-5123-89f5-65919673e297.html?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wisconsin+state+journal&fbclid=IwAR2KtjmWph-DnxbTiwYcHH7xa_m7OwwZmFN2U2GQwGskqjGEuRUzhiBhJEo

I am still very disappointed in WI Dems for sitting out on the SC Race. This is exactly why the Supreme court election was so critically important. Now we are stuck for decades with a far right court who will keep ruling against anything Democrats try to do.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 12:03:48 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2019, 12:07:31 AM by Scottholes 2.0 »

I'm so sick of living in this state.

https://www.wpr.org/wisconsin-supreme-court-temporarily-restores-most-lame-duck-laws
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/republicans-might-not-return-until-october-if-tony-evers-vetoes/article_ad88d9e2-ce7c-5300-80ba-e6ef7661ef9a.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »

Shockingly there are now 6 Assembly Republicans that now support legislation to implement Iowa style redistricting reform.

Well, that's good!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies