Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:18:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 128
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v3: GOP in MASSIVE DISARRAY  (Read 165688 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: April 06, 2020, 06:28:24 PM »

The governor should staff the polling stations with members of the National Guard if necessary.  Elections should not be affected by illness.  The state has resources at its disposal to solve the staffing shortages.  We're not a banana republic, moving the elections would be unconscionable.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #401 on: April 06, 2020, 06:35:38 PM »

Holy crap.  If there's a controversy this fall, they're going to 5/4 let the state legislatures assign electors to their preferred candidate (results in an automatic Trump reelection if governors can't veto),  aren't they? 

EDIT: To be clear, I don't like the last minute rule change and would favor moving the whole thing to a different, safer time but holding it under the same rules as before.

I wouldn't rule out some states trying this. Based on how the economy is going, Republicans could get wiped out if we hold fair elections. With redistricting coming up, the stakes have never been higher for them in recent memory.

If you think about it, this catastrophe really gives Republicans some opportunities to play dirty. They can first try and use the pandemic to shut down polling places in Democratic-leaning areas, and if that causes issues with the courts, they can then say the election results are not reliable and use their power to assign the electoral votes themselves. Not hard to see this happening in many of the states expected to be competitive (or on the edge of competitiveness) this cycle - GA, NC, AZ, FL, WI, etc.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #402 on: April 06, 2020, 06:50:06 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2020, 06:58:39 PM by Comrade Funk »

There are barely any polling stations in Milwaukee. The Wisconsin Supreme Court and SCOTUS are gonna kill people to help their sh**t good 'ole boy friend win the race. Can't have them city folk (blacks) vote safely now! Gotta keep gerrymandering in place to help the good rural citizens (whites) keep power.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #403 on: April 06, 2020, 06:59:03 PM »

Holy crap.  If there's a controversy this fall, they're going to 5/4 let the state legislatures assign electors to their preferred candidate (results in an automatic Trump reelection if governors can't veto),  aren't they? 

EDIT: To be clear, I don't like the last minute rule change and would favor moving the whole thing to a different, safer time but holding it under the same rules as before.

I wouldn't rule out some states trying this. Based on how the economy is going, Republicans could get wiped out if we hold fair elections. With redistricting coming up, the stakes have never been higher for them in recent memory.

If you think about it, this catastrophe really gives Republicans some opportunities to play dirty. They can first try and use the pandemic to shut down polling places in Democratic-leaning areas, and if that causes issues with the courts, they can then say the election results are not reliable and use their power to assign the electoral votes themselves. Not hard to see this happening in many of the states expected to be competitive (or on the edge of competitiveness) this cycle - GA, NC, AZ, FL, WI, etc.

I deleted this because after I read portions of the opinion, I no longer agree with it.  They were dealing narrowly with the change the rules at the last minute issue and came down against it.  If anything, that would make them less amenable to allowing legislatures to just assign EV after planning to hold a statewide popular vote.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #404 on: April 06, 2020, 07:19:10 PM »

I deleted this because after I read portions of the opinion, I no longer agree with it.  They were dealing narrowly with the change the rules at the last minute issue and came down against it.  If anything, that would make them less amenable to allowing legislatures to just assign EV after planning to hold a statewide popular vote.

I'm thinking worst case scenarios, but the way this has played out, it's not looking good. I'd like to see if and how SCOTUS weighs in on a challenge to the legitimacy of the results in an election where Milwaukee/Madison/etc will have few if any polling stations open - a decision made very recently, giving voters little to no time to even try and vote another way. Not sure how it could be constitutional when so many voters are not given the means to actually vote.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #405 on: April 06, 2020, 07:22:49 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2020, 06:11:42 AM by Marxist-Cornpopist Thought »

Heil Vos.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #406 on: April 06, 2020, 07:23:43 PM »

lmao, this state has fallen to complete crap.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #407 on: April 06, 2020, 07:32:38 PM »

I now 100% support packing the courts. Add 100 new Justices for all I care.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #408 on: April 06, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »

Thanks again Bernie nuts.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #409 on: April 06, 2020, 07:35:34 PM »

The State Supreme Court, Milwaukee races, and others would still have to happen at some point.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #410 on: April 06, 2020, 07:37:50 PM »

Yep! Steal Steal Steal. That's the Republican brand nowadays. I hope Kelly loses on top of all this. It would be at least some form of poetic justice.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #411 on: April 06, 2020, 07:45:38 PM »

Also WI Republicans: WhY r YunG pe0pl3 LeaVinG th3 StaTe!!!??!?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #412 on: April 06, 2020, 07:58:26 PM »

Now do you see why it’s time to bring back Choppy boi?
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #413 on: April 06, 2020, 08:00:53 PM »

The State Supreme Court, Milwaukee races, and others would still have to happen at some point.
I was talking to the ones that didn't hold their nose and vote for her in '16.

5-4
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #414 on: April 06, 2020, 08:10:52 PM »

You want a banana republic.  Good to know.

Why don't you read the decision and say what you actually disagree with.  Sometimes the law doesn't work out in your favor.

The Governor does not have the legal authority to postpone the election.  He's been saying that himself all along until this about-face.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #415 on: April 06, 2020, 09:41:08 PM »

Both political parties play the political gerrymandering game.

Democrats and Republicans want to continue in power. News at 11.

Republicans want only Republicans to vote, Democrats want only Democrats to vote.

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #416 on: April 06, 2020, 09:53:56 PM »

Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #417 on: April 06, 2020, 10:02:13 PM »

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #418 on: April 06, 2020, 10:03:45 PM »

Why don't you read the decision and say what you actually disagree with.  Sometimes the law doesn't work out in your favor.

The Governor does not have the legal authority to postpone the election.  He's been saying that himself all along until this about-face.

My reaction was to the illegitimate US Supreme Court ruling overturning the the extension to get absentee ballots in. Also there is nothing against the law or unconstitutional to adding more Justices. Sometimes the law doesn't work out in your favor.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #419 on: April 06, 2020, 10:06:35 PM »

My reaction was to the illegitimate US Supreme Court ruling overturning the the extension to get absentee ballots in. Also there is nothing against the law or unconstitutional to adding more Justices. Sometimes the law doesn't work out in your favor.

Sure it was.  Very mature response when I'm asking you to simply cite what about the ruling you disagree with.  Too much to ask I guess.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #420 on: April 06, 2020, 10:16:34 PM »

Sure it was.  Very mature response when I'm asking you to simply cite what about the ruling you disagree with.  Too much to ask I guess.

The Wisconsin Supreme Court didn't release a ruling with their decision, it was just a statement saying that they overturned the Governor's executive order and that a ruling would come later.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2020, 10:20:28 PM »

The Wisconsin Supreme Court didn't release a ruling with their decision, it was just a statement saying that they overturned the Governor's executive order and that a ruling would come later.

So then why exactly are you calling for packing the courts?

Why was Evers saying until this weekend that he didn't have the legal authority to postpone?  Was he lying then, or now?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #422 on: April 06, 2020, 10:33:09 PM »

So then why exactly are you calling for packing the courts?

Why was Evers saying until this weekend that he didn't have the legal authority to postpone?  Was he lying then, or now?

Again, my packing the courts claim was towards the illegitimate U.S. Supreme Court and their decision to overturn a lower court's decision to give absentee ballots to the 13th to be submitted. Around 11,000 absentee requests had yet to be sent out to voters due to the backlog in requests and about 43% of absentees that were sent out has yet to be returned. All of those folks were told one thing and now have the choice of either being disenfranchised or venture to an understaffed/potentially packed polling place during the middle of a pandemic.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #423 on: April 06, 2020, 10:40:07 PM »

Welcome to the light side. Playing "fair","by the rules" and respecting "historical norms and traditions" is a suicide pact for Dems, especially when republicans have no respect for such things when they stand between them and total, unchecked, minority rule. The modern day republican party is an organized crime syndicate, and the only way to thoroughly defeat them is to take away their illegitimate SCOTUS majority, which acts as a friendly backstop to green light any illegal action they like and stop any legitimate law or rule passed by Democrats they don't like.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #424 on: April 06, 2020, 10:54:53 PM »

I think it's clear that the Republicans have already turned the judiciary into partisan hacks. So the argument that packing the courts would politicize the judiciary and undermine its legitimacy, because this has already taken place. However, I would prefer structural reforms that make the judiciary less partisan-but I'm not sure how these would work (and a big problem is that the judiciary has so much power and on both sides there are lots of activist judges who have no qualms about legislating from the bench).
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 128  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies