State Legislature Special Election Megathread v3 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:59:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State Legislature Special Election Megathread v3 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State Legislature Special Election Megathread v3  (Read 133651 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 23, 2019, 10:02:10 PM »

The Tennessee seat ended up being much closer than initial counts suggested, giving a big swing towards the Democrat:

Democrats getting 44% in both of these districts is a very good performance to say the least.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 10:21:17 PM »

There are going to be two special elections for vacant Missouri House seats in November, 99 and 158, both Republican held.

99 is an interesting seat, stretching from one of the wealthiest areas of Missouri/St. Louis County, Manchester and Twin Oaks, down through more middle class Valley Park, which straddles the border with Jefferson County. The incumbent, Jean Evans, only won by 6 points last year and I would bet that Claire McCaskill carried the seat handily, while Trump won it only 49/44 against Romney's 55/43 victory. I imagine that Democrats are going to contest this seat heavily in their search for a way out of the super minority in the House. This seat covers terrain that has been moving towards the Democrats rapidly and is definitely one to watch.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »

The MO HD 99 is heating up for November. Both the Dems and GOP have recruited serious candidates and I got a call from the Dem group today asking me to canvass. Presumably the Republicans are mobilizing as well. Both candidates appear to be upper middle class professional wine moms which is pretty hilarious.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 06:43:02 PM »

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/st-louis-state-rep-bruce-franks-says-he-s-leaving/article_0ff62be2-8182-5a64-8cbd-8f48c51239e5.html

Representative Bruce Franks is resigning on the 31, currently represents a House district that covers most of Downtown St. Louis and some neighborhoods north. Heavily black and Democratic. Special election should be in November.

Hopefully the Hubbards don't manage to stage a come back here, one would think two seats on the Board of Aldermen would be enough.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »

It's crazy how many members have ditched the Missouri House of Reps. I knew things were bad but it must be a lot worse to serve than I thought.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »

Any pickup opportunities for either party?

MO-HD 99 is drawing a lot of resources from both parties. I would say Democrats are slightly favored to pick it up.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 11:48:21 AM »

Strap in everyone, we have special elections tonight:

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »

BIG pickup for Missouri Democrats in West County.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 10:17:02 PM »

Democrat leading in HD-28 against an extremely divided GOP field, think this heads to a runoff.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 01:23:33 AM »

WRONG, Republicans did not win HD-99 in Missouri.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 12:23:30 PM »

HD-99 contains Manchester, one of the tony suburbs in West St. Louis County notable for its strip malls which stretch for miles along Manchester as well as Valley Park, a more middle class Meramec River suburb that is protected by a big 'ole army corps of engineers levee. That it is now represented by a Democrat is frankly insane, but that's suburban trends for you.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »

I’m guessing Nicole Galloway won HD-99 last year since she crushed it pretty much everywhere in the suburbs, but does anyone know if McCaskill did as well?
Both did, yes. I believe by quite a bit as well, but I don't have the numbers on hand.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 04:05:47 PM »

Half of the Democrats in Senate seats in Kansas City are getting appointed to state jobs. Both Holsman and Curls are senior (Curls the most senior member of the Senate) and Holsman was known to have wanted to extend term limits so he could run again, as both of them were term limited this year. If they are confirmed and resign their seats, this should set up two special elections this summer to fill out the rest of their terms. Both seats are extremely Democratic: 7th: 67-27 Clinton; 80-17 Clinton. The real contest will be within the democratic committees in the senatorial district, who will decide who the Democratic nominee will be for each seat. As they were already term limited there are likely quite a few house members that were already looking to move up, so I expect fierce competition for the nominations.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 08:17:36 PM »

There really is a lot less attention on these special elections than the ones in 2017-2018. Democrats (and maybe Republicans as well) are a lot more focused on the Democratic primary and national politics.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies