State Legislature Special Election Megathread v3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:41:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State Legislature Special Election Megathread v3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 60
Author Topic: State Legislature Special Election Megathread v3  (Read 133977 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: February 28, 2023, 10:47:32 PM »

Three specials in Connecticut were held today.

The Dem won CT-100 by 37.7, when Biden won it by only 32.2
Duke of York

« Reply #1126 on: March 01, 2023, 11:17:06 AM »

Three specials in Connecticut were held today.

The Dem won CT-100 by 37.7, when Biden won it by only 32.2

They won the other two as well. CT-6 was a Democrat and independent.

CT 148 they underperformed by a few points.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1127 on: March 01, 2023, 07:51:18 PM »

Zabel won his last race by 30 points so the district is not in danger of flipping, but if he resigns it would result in the PA House being temporarily tied.
Kevinstat

« Reply #1128 on: March 05, 2023, 08:44:25 PM »

(Now former) Maine State Representative Clinton Collamore (D-House District 45) was indicted on January 24 for aggravated forgery and other charges stemming from his 2022 campaign (you can get public funding if you get enough people to give $5 contributions to the Maine Clean Election Fund "in honor of" your campaign (my own terminology there)), immediately called by State House Speaker of his own party to resign (and yes, some friendly media reporters may have asked the Speaker's office for a comment and put her call for Collamore to resign at the head of the story), and finally did so on February 16 when he was arraigned.

Special elections State Representative in Maine can't happen until municipal officials in a municipality in the district send a communication to the Governor asking for one, and apparently such notice didn't reach the Governor (or at least that news didn't reach the Secretary of State's Office) until Friday (I had gotten impatient and emailed them on Thursday; I don't live in that district but am always interested in special elections in Maine).  No press release about a special election was released on Friday, but I imagine there will be one tomorrow.

As for when the election will be held, it may depend on when towns in that district have elections already scheduled.  With the various requirements (including people overseas being able to cast UOCAVA ballots), the earliest the election could probably be held is in June.  The second Tuesday in June, which would be June 13 this year. is a common election day in Maine (that's when the congressional (both chambers), state and county office primaries are held in even years).  But I wouldn't completely rule out the election being scheduled for November 7, which will be a statewide election with multiple referendum questions.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1129 on: March 08, 2023, 01:42:23 PM »

State house special election incoming! This is a Biden +30 seat though, so no worries of it flipping

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1130 on: March 08, 2023, 04:35:57 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/matt-fariss-virginia-lawmaker-charged-hit-run-d465cac031f39294126feb978e9a996c

A Virginia state lawmaker charged in what authorities are calling a hit-and-run swerved his SUV toward a woman after they argued, striking her and leaving her with minor injuries, according to police and allegations outlined in court documents.

Del. Matt Fariss, a 54-year-old Republican who has represented part of central Virginia in the House of Delegates for over a decade, faces two felony charges — malicious wounding and being involved in a hit-and-run — plus misdemeanor reckless driving. Fariss has denied the allegations.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1131 on: March 17, 2023, 10:50:53 AM »

Possible Special Election in Connecticut as State Representative Robin Comey (HD-102) was arrested for DUI and has already been stripped of all committee assignments.

State Rep. Robin Comey was removed from all committee assignments Friday after being arrested on drunken driving charges following a car crash near the state Capitol in Hartford, officials said.

Comey had been driving her Honda with legislative plates with the number “102” that shows that she represents her hometown of Branford. The car flipped over and landed upside down on its roof Thursday night on Capitol Avenue between Lawrence and Babcock streets. She was handcuffed at the scene by Hartford police following a field sobriety test.

House Speaker Matt Ritter of Hartford said Friday that Comey, an assistant majority whip, had been removed from all leadership assignments until further notice.

“This was an extremely dangerous situation, and somebody could have been seriously injured, including Rep. Comey,” Ritter said. “My immediate reaction is to think about Rep. Comey’s next steps. I hope she focuses on her health and wellbeing, and I know that her friends and colleagues will support her in any way we can.”

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1132 on: March 21, 2023, 07:36:03 AM »

There's a special election in Georgia HD-75 today.  The district is Safe D; the previous occupant, Mike Glanton, won with 89% in 2022 (with slightly different boundaries).  Today's contest features two Democrats, Herman Andrews and Eric Bell II, and one Republican, Della Ashley.  If nobody gets a majority, a runoff will be held on April 18.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1133 on: March 22, 2023, 02:04:48 AM »

There's a special election in Georgia HD-75 today.  The district is Safe D; the previous occupant, Mike Glanton, won with 89% in 2022 (with slightly different boundaries).  Today's contest features two Democrats, Herman Andrews and Eric Bell II, and one Republican, Della Ashley.  If nobody gets a majority, a runoff will be held on April 18.

Update on this - Eric Bell cleared the 50% threshold by over ten points, and the two Ds combined for 89%.
Kevinstat

« Reply #1134 on: March 23, 2023, 11:00:51 PM »

(Now former) Maine State Representative Clinton Collamore (D-House District 45) was indicted on January 24 for aggravated forgery and other charges stemming from his 2022 campaign (you can get public funding if you get enough people to give $5 contributions to the Maine Clean Election Fund "in honor of" your campaign (my own terminology there)), immediately called by State House Speaker of his own party to resign (and yes, some friendly media reporters may have asked the Speaker's office for a comment and put her call for Collamore to resign at the head of the story), and finally did so on February 16 when he was arraigned.

Special elections State Representative in Maine can't happen until municipal officials in a municipality in the district send a communication to the Governor asking for one, and apparently such notice didn't reach the Governor (or at least that news didn't reach the Secretary of State's Office) until Friday (I had gotten impatient and emailed them on Thursday; I don't live in that district but am always interested in special elections in Maine).  No press release about a special election was released on Friday, but I imagine there will be one tomorrow.

As for when the election will be held, it may depend on when towns in that district have elections already scheduled.  With the various requirements (including people overseas being able to cast UOCAVA ballots), the earliest the election could probably be held is in June.  The second Tuesday in June, which would be June 13 this year. is a common election day in Maine (that's when the congressional (both chambers), state and county office primaries are held in even years).  But I wouldn't completely rule out the election being scheduled for November 7, which will be a statewide election with multiple referendum questions.
2 ex-lawmakers may face off in June for swing Maine House district along coast

The election is on June 13.  The caucus paperwork (for candidates of qualified parties) / filing (for Unenrolled ("Independent") candidates) deadline is March 31.  Presumably the write-in deadline is a week later, since it usually is for special elections.  But I've never seen a write-in declare for a special Legislative election.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1135 on: March 28, 2023, 09:38:27 PM »

Big overperformance in VA SD-09 (Rep. McClellan's vacant district) tonight:

theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1136 on: March 28, 2023, 10:32:04 PM »

Big overperformance in VA SD-09 (Rep. McClellan's vacant district) tonight:

I'm becoming pretty confidant about Protasiewicz's chances.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #1137 on: March 29, 2023, 07:09:04 AM »

SD-08 should be a flip based on WI Dems historically overperforming in special elections.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1138 on: March 31, 2023, 03:58:50 PM »

SD-08 should be a flip based on WI Dems historically overperforming in special elections.
It's historically republican so more republican downballot though
walleye26

« Reply #1139 on: April 01, 2023, 06:18:22 AM »

It's historically republican so more republican downballot though

Yeah, the seat is in all 3 WOW counties (and a little bit of northern MKE county), so it’ll be hard for Dems to win (it was Trump +5) but with recent trends towards the Democrats, this is a pickup possibility for them. I still think they fall about 2-3 points short though.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1140 on: April 03, 2023, 09:28:06 AM »

VA SD9 looks like it's done counting, the GOP has fallen below 10% there now.

Bagby (D) 89.84%
Imholt (R) 9.92%
Write-In 0.25%

Final result is pretty much D+80
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1141 on: April 04, 2023, 06:39:05 AM »

Thank God. The prospect of WI republicans having the numbers to impeach whoever they feel like for completely political reasons is gruesome. Can't wait for Janet to rule correctly on gerrymandering and make their undeserved majorities go bye bye.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1142 on: April 26, 2023, 04:27:52 PM »

Special election in New Hampshire upcoming, with Benjamin Bartlett's resignation.

The district, Rockingham 1, was one the closest in New Hampshire and in the entire country.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1143 on: May 06, 2023, 04:34:08 PM »

It looks like we will have an imminent special election in Texas HD-2, after a subcommittee recommended expelling State Rep. Bryan Slaton.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1144 on: May 13, 2023, 04:58:18 PM »

Resigned on the 8th, expelled on the 10th (without being expelled, he would have been paid until the special election under Texas law).
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1145 on: May 14, 2023, 09:19:52 AM »

DeSantis has tapped Republican State Rep. Fred Hawkins to be the next President of South Florida State College, setting up a special election in the competitive 35th State House District (Biden +5) that contains a small portion of Orlando, its western Orange County suburbs, and most of unincorporated Osceola County.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1146 on: May 14, 2023, 12:09:59 PM »

DeSantis has tapped Republican State Rep. Fred Hawkins to be the next President of South Florida State College, setting up a special election in the competitive 35th State House District (Biden +5) that contains a small portion of Orlando, its western Orange County suburbs, and most of unincorporated Osceola County.

I think you mean eastern.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1147 on: May 14, 2023, 03:41:00 PM »

I think you mean eastern.

Yes, thanks.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1148 on: May 14, 2023, 08:40:13 PM »

There will be a special election in Kentucky HD-93 after the incumbent, Lamin Swann died.

This is a suburban Lexington District. Swann won 53.8-46.2 in 2022.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1149 on: May 15, 2023, 04:01:32 PM »

Interested to see the margin in the Delco state house special election tomorrow. It was Biden 62-37 and Fetterman 64% I think but Dems have not taken it lightly - Shapiro cut a video, Biden released an endorsement, and Dems have spent $1M+ on their candidate (Rs have not spent anywhere close to that). The last two Dems in this seat were mired by scandal so I would assume it's more of a better be safe than sorry situation. But at the same time, PA Dems have also just been on their game - they put lots of money and resources into the Allegheny specials in February when they were all safe D seats too
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 60  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies