Mississippi 2003
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:51:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mississippi 2003
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Mississippi 2003  (Read 28681 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2004, 10:01:12 AM »

I know that a lot of Black people vote Democrat by reflex, and that a lot of White people vote Republican because of that.
Both of these things really irritate me.
I realize that Memphis is very bad for racial voting, but look on the bright side, it's better than Birmingham, AL...

Over here it's true that most old mining communities would vote for a donkey if it promised to kick in the right direction, but the only party that actually fights for the old mining communities is Labour(although the Liberal M.P for Ludlow does as well)

However certain Tories have been exploiting racial tensions worse than Barbour did in MS.
Look at Bradford West or Bethnal Green and Bow.
NHPolitico

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2004, 07:29:58 PM »

It's the African American voter who votes more on party than ideology. They've done polling on things like vouchers and Social Security partial privatization. They do well with black voters-- until you tell them that those are "Republican" ideas.  

I have statistics that show that blacks are receptive to some Republican ideas, if you don't connect it to the party itself. I don't disagree with you, but if it's true that blacks vote on party moreso than ideology, why are most black congresspeople strongly liberal?

I think because they are anti-Republican more than strongly liberal. The liberals are the most anti-Republican in their speeches and that's what black voters want to hear.  It's not especially about ideology.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2004, 11:02:59 PM »

FYI, I actually meant to write "I have SEEN statistics that show that blacks are receptive to some Republican ideas, if you don't connect it to the party itself."

rather than

"I have statistics that show..."
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »

FYI, I actually meant to write "I have SEEN statistics that show that blacks are receptive to some Republican ideas, if you don't connect it to the party itself."

rather than

Yeah, I was wondering about that, it did look a little weird... Wink

Thanks for clearing it up! Smiley
NHPolitico

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2004, 01:49:53 PM »

rather than

I interpreted it that way.  Regardless, it's interesting that this bloc of voters vote in an almost totally reactionary way.   It would be interesting to have a national black candidate who could get votes from only black voters so we could really see what pro-active things they'd want in policy.  I don't think we get that with blacks in black CDs.
jravnsbo

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2004, 02:11:17 PM »

Gov Haley Barbor as of today!
jravnsbo

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2004, 11:22:56 AM »

Saw Barbour's inaugeral on C-span.  Very down home and easy going I liked it alot, his style I mean.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies