How much of a help would Bill Clinton have been to Gore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:56:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How much of a help would Bill Clinton have been to Gore
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much of a help would Bill Clinton have been to Gore  (Read 1266 times)
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2019, 11:19:11 PM »
« edited: April 01, 2019, 11:25:49 PM by Da2017 »

If you read about why Al Gore lost one the reasons that cited is his distancing himself from Clinton. Hillary had Obama campaign for her overtime and that still didn't put her over the top. Obama like Clinton was reasonably at the end of his term.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 11:56:15 PM »

It seems that Gore had a higher favorability rating on Election Day 2000 than Hillary did on Election Day 2016. That suggests that Bill Clinton would probably have pulled Gore over the finish line by offering additional support.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 01:12:49 AM »

He would have at the very least won FL and maybe even AR with Clinton’s support

The Key in my opinion is you have to find the right balance between tying your self to the Semi popular or popular president of your own party but also being able to keep it clear that you would be your own person as well .

Bush in 1988 did that perfectly , he tied himself to Reagan while also making it clear he was his own man to make sure he didn’t undermine people’s belief that he would be qualified for the job .
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 01:17:16 AM »

I actually would argue with all the problems Clinton had been facing, it would have actually hurt him. I think Gore actually made the right choice by separating himself. Heck, I would even argue Bush would have won the popular vote had this happened.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 11:27:26 AM »

I actually would argue with all the problems Clinton had been facing, it would have actually hurt him. I think Gore actually made the right choice by separating himself. Heck, I would even argue Bush would have won the popular vote had this happened.

This.

People really forget the "context of the times". 1999 and 2019 are so different, mainly because people like a 20 yr old college student was a baby in diapers. It wasn't the same electorate we have today.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:11:31 AM »

Gun to my head, if Clinton were an active participant on the campaign trail, then he could've helped Gore win the popular vote by over a million votes, with Florida, New Hampshire, & maybe even Arkansas going to Gore.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »

In '88, Bush wanted to win on his own, but he NEVER distanced himself from Reagan, and always coattailed when the campaign was struggling.

In '00, Gore distanced himself completely, and it cost him the election. 

There's no doubt that Gore misread the political climate and the lack of care Americans had overall towards the Lewinksy scandal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies