Drinking age
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:59:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Drinking age
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Should the legal drinking age be lowered from 21 to 18 (or less)?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Drinking age  (Read 5580 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2005, 11:26:17 PM »

My parents did that (actually they went much further, they let me drink however much I wanted whenever I was home as long as I didn't leave the house),

That's exactly what I was thinking of. I remember this one kid in particular and, just like yourself, he is a waste. If you don't think you have problems then the Pope really isn't Catholic.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2005, 11:29:08 PM »

What's my problem? You probably do consider me an alcoholic or something, although if this were true I'd be getting trashed every day. I actually haven't had a sip of alcohol since Saturday and haven't gotten seriously drunk in more than 2 weeks.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2005, 11:57:06 PM »

any one else doa  apower hour?! cuz i sure have now!!1
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2005, 12:03:37 AM »

any one else doa  apower hour?! cuz i sure have now!!1

One of my un-responsible moments was a power hour followed by shots of Southern Comfort. Not a good night.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2005, 06:48:49 AM »

I think if I had kids, I would allow them to at least sample limited amounts of alcohol in my presence just to demystify it a little bit, and I would definitely talk to them about the downside of excessive drinking.  Still, they'd probably go crazy anyway.  That's just how a lot of kids are.

I don't accept that attitude. It's a "We surrender" way of thinking. I know kids that say their parents accept their drinking habits. Wonder how that started, dazzleman? Your "Eh, give them a few sips every so often" philosophy is in full effect today and we still have the drinking problems.

I don't propose accepting excessive drinking by kids.  If kids see parents drinking responsibly and in moderation, and are allowed to do it with their parents at an appropriate age, they can learn that having a glass of wine doesn't necessarily mean that you have to drink 2 bottles and get totally sloshed.  Too many parents today are too tolerant, but there are also some who are too tight.  It's best to find a happy medium, and thereby encourage kids to act responsibly while removing somewhat the allure of forbidden fruit and the mystification of alcohol.

Phil, you don't seem to have a lot of curiosity about, and desire for, doing what you know you are not supposed to.  That's great, but you're in the minority.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2005, 07:05:43 AM »

18 is still far too excessive for purchasing beer or wine, though it is just about tolerable for spirits.

Should be 16 for purchasing beer or wine at worst.

Consumption should be legal with (responsible) adult supervision in private residences or private parties from the age of 12.

Talk about a total mess if that happened here. I understand that it works in Europe but we have to accept the point that Europeans are more responsible with alcohol. I hate when people argue "Well if they can do it in Europe then we can do it here!"

well, Australia is a lot closer to America then France culturally, and we have an 'alcohol culture', if you want to call it that, but we are reasonable with our laws.

18, you can buy anything. 17, you can't.

With parental consent, you can drink from birth, basically. A sip of wine with dinner, for example. I personally didn't have any till I was 8 or 9, and I hated it, but still.

But, and this is the important part, in Australia you can't get your driver's licence until you are 18, and even then it's a probationary licence, and the main difference is that you have to have a blood alcohol reading of 0.00. If you are over, numerous harsh penalties can apply, including restarting the 3-year probationary period, suspension of licence, or inability to ever get a full licence.

The main cause of death amongst 18-21 from alcohol directly relates to cars. We still have these deaths, but our policy keeps them low I'd expect at about the level of the USA, and allows for more freedom for 18 year olds.

BTW, I went to the pub with some mates after my exam today, but they wouldn't serve me and kept an eagle eye ensuring no-one else bought one for me. Bastards, I'm only a month and a bit off Wink
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2005, 11:47:42 AM »

Yes it should be lowered back to 18.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2005, 01:36:56 PM »

Yes

Dave
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »

Phil, you don't seem to have a lot of curiosity about, and desire for, doing what you know you are not supposed to.  That's great, but you're in the minority.

Thank you for playing "Let's State The Obvious!"   Tongue

I've known that I'm in the minority (when compared to most of my peers) for years now, dazzleman.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2005, 06:56:31 PM »

Alcohol should be illegal to buy, sell, or consume at any age.

You're funny man.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2005, 08:31:11 AM »

I used to think the age should be lowered to 18...but I've definitely changed my mind.  If anything it should be raised.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2005, 09:15:05 AM »

Either lower the drinking age to 18, or raise the military age to 21. If youre old enough to fight, youre old enough to drink.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2005, 04:33:41 PM »

raise the military age to 21. If youre old enough to fight, youre old enough to drink.

A friend of mine recently presented that argument and I am now in agreement.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2005, 04:36:18 PM »

Alcohol should be illegal to buy, sell, or consume at any age.

Go back to the 1920s.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2005, 04:36:50 PM »

What does drinking have to do with fighting?

Obviously you're way more of a threat on your own drinking than fighting after having been trained in the military, and fighting under some officer's command.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2005, 04:45:59 PM »

What does drinking have to do with fighting?

Obviously you're way more of a threat on your own drinking than fighting after having been trained in the military, and fighting under some officer's command.

The voluntary military age isn't what bothers me; it's the selective service act, that says that you can be forced into involuntary servitude to your country before being allowed to consume alcohol, buy a cigarette, etc.

It's a question of a sliding scale.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2005, 09:27:35 PM »

raise the military age to 21. If youre old enough to fight, youre old enough to drink.

A friend of mine recently presented that argument and I am now in agreement.
Well, how fair is it to fight for freedoms you dont have?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2005, 09:34:11 PM »

How is it not fair? Or did you just say that because you thought it sounded good?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2005, 09:36:02 PM »

How is it not fair? Or did you just say that because you thought it sounded good?
How is it not fair? Youre going to die to portect freedoms youre not allowed to have? What kind of crap of that?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2005, 09:37:26 PM »

What does one thing have to do with the other? Protecting something doesn't become worth it because it's yours. You are clearly a really awful person.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2005, 11:31:26 PM »

Remove all age based restrictions on drinking liquor(this will prevent police from harassing underage drinkers at parties. They'lll need a real reason to break up parties instead of a flimsy pretex like finding a beer can). However, make the buying/selling age be 18 on a nationwide basis(can't trust the south/utah not to raise it or pass bullsh**t laws).
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2005, 11:46:21 PM »

You are clearly a really awful person.
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes lol whatever you say...Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies