2024 republicans if Trump loses? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:30:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2024 republicans if Trump loses? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2024 republicans if Trump loses?  (Read 2280 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: April 01, 2019, 01:13:43 PM »
« edited: April 01, 2019, 02:38:37 PM by RINO Tom »

Literally no one knows Tom Cotton and I see no reason for him to stand out from the crowd of obscure senators. How is he so special that everyone seems to hype him up.

Jalawest thinks Cotton is horrible, therefore he needs no further reasoning why he will be the GOP nominee.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »

Literally no one knows Tom Cotton and I see no reason for him to stand out from the crowd of obscure senators. How is he so special that everyone seems to hype him up.

Jalawest thinks Cotton is horrible, therefore he needs no further reasoning why he will be the GOP nominee.

Cotton is a popular boogeyman in far-left circles (i.e. "Elect Bernie in 2020 or get Tom Cotton in 2024"), but precisely because he holds such a particularly terrible views, I have a hard time seeing him win a national election, or even the Republican primary: he combines George W. Bush's foreign policy circa 2003 with Trump's stances on racism and immigration and Ted Cruz & Mike Pence's views on gay issues.

Exactly ... say what you want about the GOP, you still need a coalition to win the nomination.  Republican voters are loyally behind Trump now (to a sickening degree), but they did not have this loyalty at first and he had to patch together an awkward coalition to win a fractured field.  He combined more populist, first-time GOP primary voters with more nativist immigration voters with catch-all "sick of the establishment" voters (which ranged from "working class" voters sick of "Country Club Republians" to my very "Country Club Republican" father who was also sick of said establishment because they never made headway on a budget).  Whoever just tries to copy Trump's shtick will fail, IMO; you need to stand out, as he did, and Cotton does in all the wrong ways.  #Realignment2016 aside, a relatively similar group of people nominated Mitt Romney AND Donald Trump.  Tom Cotton is not noteworthy enough in EITHER way that McCain, Romney or Trump were.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies