Article 13 passes European Parliament
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:36:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Article 13 passes European Parliament
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Article 13 passes European Parliament  (Read 1416 times)
Lourdes
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2019, 02:02:17 PM »

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/eu-article-13-vote-article-17

European politicians have voted to pass Article 13 and Article 11 as part of sweeping changes to regulation around online copyright. The European Parliament passed the legislation by 348 votes to 274.

Opponents had hoped for last-minute amendments to be made to the legislation, but failed to garner enough votes. Julia Reda, a German MEP representing the Pirate Party who opposes the copyright directive, said it was a “dark day for internet freedom”. Margrethe Vestager, European Commissioner for Competition, said the result was “great news”.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 02:48:51 PM »

Awful decision by the European Parliament.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »

European governments are fascists when it comes to the internet. News at 11.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 03:02:02 PM »

Will the Pirate Party receive seats from the backlash against the ruling across Europe?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 03:13:27 PM »

Terrible ruling that will make the internet less free. Hopefully the courts do something about it or at least upload filters are being prevented. Let's see what kind of laws the national governments enact.

Will the Pirate Party receive seats from the backlash against the ruling across Europe?

LOL no. They're essentially a dead thing. The hype was in 2011/12 and is long over.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »

Time to bring in bootleg memes!

Now seriously, this is a horrible law that will only harm the internet. I can only hope the implementation is done in the least harmful possible way, which will still be very harmful
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 05:01:11 PM »

Terrible ruling that will make the internet less free. Hopefully the courts do something about it or at least upload filters are being prevented. Let's see what kind of laws the national governments enact.

LOL no. They're essentially a dead thing. The hype was in 2011/12 and is long over.
Okay fine, will they at least regionally get a bump back? How about getting backlash from other rising and/or establishment parties.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 05:03:50 PM »

Okay fine, will they at least regionally get a bump back? How about getting backlash from other rising and/or establishment parties.

Worth noting that while the German Pirates are almost dead (a shame, as their MEP was by far the most vocal opponent and she did a lot to try and stop this), other pirate parties are performing better.

I think the Czech pirates will definitely benefit from this, though they might be the only pirate party left.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 05:05:48 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2019, 05:12:49 PM by parochial boy »

Looks like a perfect storm is brewing for the Green parties.

Add in a nice hot easter and we're done

(Tbh I doubt most people are even aware of the bill. A quick scan of various media outlets seems to suggest only the German language media is interested. The Franvophones are more interested in Bouteflika and the English in Brexit...)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 06:25:26 PM »

I'm glad to see you all are on the right side here.  It seems like the last time we did this there were still dummies on the other side.  Or maybe I'm confusing this with the equally as stupid "right to be forgotten"?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 07:11:06 PM »

European governments are fascists when it comes to the internet. News at 11.

As are nearly all other governments tbf.

The ignorance of most politicians when it comes to the web is genuinely shocking.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 11:50:12 PM »

And the long game of the ruling class to transform in the internet into Cable TV 2.0 continues...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 01:19:05 AM »

And piece of sh**t Emanuel Marcon got it made even worse. Only small websites less than 3 years old are exempt from the upload filter. I'm sure Dave Leip will be thrilled that extorted for not filtering thanks to Marcon.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 01:35:24 AM »

And piece of sh**t Emanuel Marcon got it made even worse. Only small websites less than 3 years old are exempt from the upload filter. I'm sure Dave Leip will be thrilled that extorted for not filtering thanks to Marcon.
he could block all the EU domains from accessing the site...I hope that's what all websites do.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 05:40:45 AM »

he could block all the EU domains from accessing the site...I hope that's what all websites do.

Well, in that case it was nice meeting you all!

Now seriously, I imagine Dave will simply lock out EU users without images like guests without an account; but not out of the forum alltogether
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 07:19:40 AM »

Even funnier: The only German Pirate in the European Parliament, Julia Reda, has just left her party, and furthermore called upon her supporters to not vote for the Pirates in May because No. 2 on the party list, Gilles Bordelais, has been accused of sexual harassment.
The party list leader is nevertheless likely to enter the EP due to the missing 5% threshold, and that will probably be the last time that that party will enter any parliament (beyond Berlin- Kreuzberg's regional parliament) as the threshold will be re-introduced for th 2024 European elections.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 07:25:30 AM »

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/eu-article-13-vote-article-17

European politicians have voted to pass Article 13 and Article 11 as part of sweeping changes to regulation around online copyright. The European Parliament passed the legislation by 348 votes to 274.

Opponents had hoped for last-minute amendments to be made to the legislation, but failed to garner enough votes. Julia Reda, a German MEP representing the Pirate Party who opposes the copyright directive, said it was a “dark day for internet freedom”. Margrethe Vestager, European Commissioner for Competition, said the result was “great news”.

One question: Is Article 13 a hot topic in the US? Briton James Cordon made a joke about the Directive on Copyright on his American late night show, but the audience didn't even seem to understand the gag.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 08:49:33 AM »

This is a bad law, but I can't help but feel that - similar to the arguments around net neutrality - activists overegg their case with the "memes are going to be banned!" stuff. All it means is that when the law is introduced and the internet doesn't literally collapse, everyone will just ignore the issue while the law just festers.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 08:23:17 PM »

This is a bad law, but I can't help but feel that - similar to the arguments around net neutrality - activists overegg their case with the "memes are going to be banned!" stuff. All it means is that when the law is introduced and the internet doesn't literally collapse, everyone will just ignore the issue while the law just festers.
I fear this is way more dangerous to the health of the internet than ending Net Neutrality was, but I suppose time will tell.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 09:42:17 PM »

Is there anyone who actually supports this?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 09:40:25 PM »

Funny I guess, but based on a misleading narrative which benefits the worst kind of Euroskeptics and ultranationalists.

I think you're doing all those protestors and net activists wrong. Did you know that over 200,000 (mainly young) people went on dozens of participate in demonstrations against the directive on copyright law in the last weeks? That's because myriads of YouTubers worry about their means of incomes and therefore about their future life plans. Furthermore, many woke people dread the prospect of being censored by upload filters. Did you know that Wikipedia blackened their German site for a whole day in protest over the politicians' denigration of the activists' fears.
Germany's most eminent entertainment lawyer Christian Solmecke, a staunch AfD opponent, produced dozens of elaborate, informative, educational videos about this topic that have also been recommended by the mainstream media. Plus, the meme in my signatured was produced by extra 3, a very left-wing, tax-funded satire show.

Do these demonstrators look like "Euroskeptics" and "ultranationalists"?

By the way, those heated debates, discussions and demonstrations were sparked by the ungracious and defamatory tone of Christian Democrat Axel Voss (see the meme above), who is a member of the judiciary committee of the European Parliament. He called the protestors "bots", "paid for" and a "mob". Furthermore, another CDU politician, Heribert Hirte (member of the Bundestag), countered the criticism of a tweeter by saying "I have more followers than you", and proceeded to be dissed by one of Germany's biggest YouTubers, Gronkh, who countered: "If that's your killer argument, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring"Tears of joy
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »

Well, technically speaking, the law hasn't become effective before it has been approved by the European Council, the caucus of the heads of state or government of the EU member states.
However, French Culture Minister Franck Riester has announced the start of of a pilot experiment in order to promote content recognizing technologies. The state authority HADOPI, which is competent to enforce copyright on the Internet and block websites, and the national center for cinema and audiovisual media shall be involved in it.

But also the German governemtn has betrayed its citizens: As part of the adoption of the EU Copyright Amendment, there appeared to be a deal between Germany and France related to the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline. According to FAZ research, Minister of Economics Peter Altmaier offered France a clause stating that companies with a turnover of less than 20 million € should be exempted from the amendment. In return, France approved in the main of the controversial gas pipeline.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 10:31:03 PM »

Not opposition to Article 13 in general, but the specific disingenuous implication that it is a 'meme ban'.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 10:59:44 AM »

nothing new here, but I just stumbled upon this and wondered how we missed it

Article 13 will wreck the internet because Swedish MEPs accidentally pushed the wrong voting button
In the EU, if a Member of the Parliament presses the wrong button on a vote, they can have the record amended to show what their true intention was, but the vote is binding.

Today, the European Parliament voted to pass the whole Copyright Directive without a debate on Articles 11 and 13 by a margin of five votes.

But actually, a group of Swedish MEPs have revealed that they pressed the wrong button, and have asked to have the record corrected. They have issued a statement saying they'd intended to open a debate on amendments to the Directive so they could help vote down Articles 11 and 13.
come on Sweden...you're better than this Smiley

Also, why are the votes instantly binding?  That seems a bit goofy, no?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies