Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:34:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 135
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 181268 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: December 31, 2020, 10:46:57 PM »

Michelle Rempel weighs in, allegedly on the Rod Phillips affair...doesn't take long for her to make it about herself, the media and Justin Trudeau:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddgzX5rUI-4&feature=emb_title
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #401 on: January 01, 2021, 12:43:30 AM »

Phillips has resigned from Cabinet.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #402 on: January 02, 2021, 01:04:17 AM »

UCP is worst with now four caught.  Kenney already tied with Pallister as least popular premier and likely having to make a lot of unpopular cuts, I actually I am thinking Notley is now favoured for 2023, but still a lot can happen.  Nike Ashton also get caught but was removed from critic role.  In her case it was to visit an ill relative in Greece, but still technically against advice.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #403 on: January 02, 2021, 01:24:06 AM »

The UCP has shades of Alison Redford's PC Party, who was also brought down by her jet-setting habit.

It's quite clear that Niki Ashton's trip to Greece was a good excuse to strip her of her critic roles. She's way too far left and had given the party unwanted attention.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #404 on: January 02, 2021, 03:26:10 AM »

Alberta has gotta have the worst provincial government in the country, hands down. I fear what Alberta might look like by 2023, & equally fear the UCP getting back in anyway. Bad times for Albertans.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #405 on: January 02, 2021, 12:57:24 PM »

Ashton's trip to see her dying grandmother seems a lot more warranted than all of the Tories getting caught travelling to the tropics. And the response to her was far more heavy handed than the rest. I suppose I can't argue with the response, though.

So, I'm not the biggest fan of Ashton's, but a lot of people are glad she was stripped of her roles for being too far left. I wonder if they hold the same criticisms for some of the new MPs like Leah Gazan or Matthew Green?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #406 on: January 04, 2021, 07:51:09 AM »

Two Liberal backbenchers have been stripped of their caucus duties as a result of travelling to the United States.

Ashton's trip to see her dying grandmother seems a lot more warranted than all of the Tories getting caught travelling to the tropics.

Agreed. That said, plenty of normal people weren't able to see their dying grandmothers in the same city over the past several months, so it would still be an awful look if she kept her job...

So, I'm not the biggest fan of Ashton's, but a lot of people are glad she was stripped of her roles for being too far left. I wonder if they hold the same criticisms for some of the new MPs like Leah Gazan or Matthew Green?

Honestly, they should have fired her over that CCP apologetics farce before this even came out. I think parties should have pretty broad tents, but appearing in propaganda for a government that is currently holding your citizens hostage?! *Cringe*

Can you fill me on on Gazan and Green?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #407 on: January 05, 2021, 06:09:19 PM »

Two Liberal backbenchers have been stripped of their caucus duties as a result of travelling to the United States.

Ashton's trip to see her dying grandmother seems a lot more warranted than all of the Tories getting caught travelling to the tropics.

Agreed. That said, plenty of normal people weren't able to see their dying grandmothers in the same city over the past several months, so it would still be an awful look if she kept her job...

Honestly, they should have fired her over that CCP apologetics farce before this even came out. I think parties should have pretty broad tents, but appearing in propaganda for a government that is currently holding your citizens hostage?! *Cringe*

Can you fill me on on Gazan and Green?

I have no criticisms of Gazan or Green, they seem to be doing a good job. But they are on the left of the party, so I imagine some people have an issue with them.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #408 on: January 11, 2021, 01:40:44 AM »

Anybody see recent Mainstreet poll in Alberta?  Shows NDP at 48%, UCP at 31% Wildrose Independence party at 10% so even combined right is trailing (https://www.westernstandardonline.com/2021/01/exclusive-new-poll-shows-ucp-collapse-as-ndp-wildrose-surge/).  Frank Graves tweeted Kenney's approval rating at 16%.  So I believe idea of Notley winning in 2023 is not far fetched but actually fairly likely although not certain.  Never mind if bad poll numbers persist I am guessing UCP dumps Kenney as leader which can change a lot. 

Still wondering, is this the end of conservative dominance of Alberta?  Not saying Tories won't win there in future, just think their lock on province is over and it will be more like BC, Ontario, and Manitoba sometimes voting for centre-right parties but not all the time.  Also be interesting if this spills over federally.  Hasn't happened yet, but considering Kenney endorsed O'Toole, I cannot help but that there is an opportunity for Liberals and NDP.  Only caveat is federal NDP far more anti-oil than provincial NDP who support O&G sector unlike federal counterparts.  And Trudeau still very unpopular, way more so than Notley.  Thoughts here>
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #409 on: January 11, 2021, 01:54:07 AM »

There's been some chatter about UCPA rank-and-file forcing a leadership review on Kenney. There will be more than enough time for the party to elect a new leader before 2023.

In other news, Ottawa is considering a demand by the NDP to add "The Proud Boys" onto its list of terrorist organizations.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #410 on: January 11, 2021, 07:15:08 AM »

As I said a bit ago, Saskatchewan is the new Alberta (and vice versa)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #411 on: January 11, 2021, 02:54:51 PM »

Agreed Saskatchewan is now most conservative province.  Not sure Alberta will see NDP dominance like once saw in Saskatchewan, but I think Alberta is now maybe new BC where centre-right option wins majority of time but not always, but its fairly competitive not a landslide.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #412 on: January 12, 2021, 05:36:44 AM »

Navdeep Bains is leaving cabinet, prompting a cabinet shuffle today. Champagne moves from Foreign Affairs to Bains' Industry job, Garneau from Transport to Foreign Affairs. Omar Alghabra gets Transport.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #413 on: January 12, 2021, 10:16:10 AM »

Agreed Saskatchewan is now most conservative province.  Not sure Alberta will see NDP dominance like once saw in Saskatchewan, but I think Alberta is now maybe new BC where centre-right option wins majority of time but not always, but its fairly competitive not a landslide.

Though that is of course complicated by the main right-leaning party in BC being the Liberals.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #414 on: January 12, 2021, 04:42:01 PM »

Though that is of course complicated by the main right-leaning party in BC being the Liberals.

And BC Liberals a much bigger tent too.  I know a few people who are BC Liberals and wouldn't go UCP if in Alberta, but still idea in terms of vote breakdown.  Its like comparing Tories to Republicans even though many Tories wouldn't vote Republican if they lived in US.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #415 on: January 12, 2021, 05:12:48 PM »

Anybody see recent Mainstreet poll in Alberta?  Shows NDP at 48%, UCP at 31% Wildrose Independence party at 10% so even combined right is trailing (https://www.westernstandardonline.com/2021/01/exclusive-new-poll-shows-ucp-collapse-as-ndp-wildrose-surge/).  Frank Graves tweeted Kenney's approval rating at 16%.  So I believe idea of Notley winning in 2023 is not far fetched but actually fairly likely although not certain.  Never mind if bad poll numbers persist I am guessing UCP dumps Kenney as leader which can change a lot. 

Still wondering, is this the end of conservative dominance of Alberta?  Not saying Tories won't win there in future, just think their lock on province is over and it will be more like BC, Ontario, and Manitoba sometimes voting for centre-right parties but not all the time.  Also be interesting if this spills over federally.  Hasn't happened yet, but considering Kenney endorsed O'Toole, I cannot help but that there is an opportunity for Liberals and NDP.  Only caveat is federal NDP far more anti-oil than provincial NDP who support O&G sector unlike federal counterparts.  And Trudeau still very unpopular, way more so than Notley.  Thoughts here>

Wil Calgary and Edmonton start voting more like big city residents and less as "Albertans"?  That happened in 2015, but then that pattern reverted with the hyper-regional voting took place in 2019. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #416 on: January 15, 2021, 02:12:22 PM »

Visible minority:

Liberals 53%
Conservatives 22%
NDP 20%
Greens 4%
BQ 0

https://twitter.com/DavidColetto/status/1350087616570523654
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #417 on: January 16, 2021, 07:06:45 AM »

Grr, Coletto doesnt have the full table in the link he provided. That's annoying.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #418 on: January 21, 2021, 12:55:00 PM »

Just putting this out here.

vimeo.com/88107752
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #419 on: January 21, 2021, 12:55:35 PM »

That guy is really good tho.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #420 on: January 21, 2021, 03:37:20 PM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #421 on: January 22, 2021, 10:09:23 AM »

Some details about Julie Payette's resignation.

ulie Payette, a former Canadian astronaut and the country's governor general since 2017, announced she would step down Thursday after she was accused by current and former employees of creating a "toxic" workplace environment.

In a detailed statement, Payette said that she took the allegations seriously -- although she did not formally apologize or admit to any misconduct in the workplace.

"While no formal complaints or official grievances were made during my tenure, which would have immediately triggered a detailed investigation as prescribed by law and the collective agreements in place, I still take these allegations very seriously," Payette said in the statement.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #422 on: January 22, 2021, 06:36:04 PM »

This guy is a clown.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #423 on: January 24, 2021, 12:56:34 AM »

This guy is a clown.

He is too worried about another fracture on the right as a loud right wing minority are claiming he is not right wing enough.  But they are only about 10% of population and mostly in rural ridings which will go UCP anyways so no worry if splits.  He is angering centrists and why trailing in polls.  Edmonton is gone and behind in Calgary.  He has wrongly assumed Alberta is far more right wing than it really is.  I do wonder if his unpopularity will allow Liberals or NDP federally to win a few seats in Edmonton or Calgary.  I don't see either beating Tories overall, but could see them taking 5-6 seats and over time wouldn't be surprised if Tories lose their grip on Alberta. 

Tories nationally are in a tight bind and risk being in opposition for years to come.  Moderate to appeal to swing voters thus have a chance federally and risk right flank splitting off thus another split on right.  Otherwise if you had someone like Michael Chong as leader, combined right would probably be in 40s, but likely a further right wing gets 10% thus making winning difficult.  Pander to more right wing elements and keep party united but ensure party remains stuck in the high 20s to low 30s and never wins.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #424 on: January 24, 2021, 01:00:33 AM »

That is devastating news for Tories.  Last time they did this bad amongst visible minorities was 2004.  And with Ontario and BC being even less white than then, they can kiss those provinces goodbye.  Still will win in Interior and rural Southern Ontario, but not 905 belt or Lower Mainland suburbs.  Also could be bad news in Alberta although I am guessing its a bit higher in Alberta while around 10% or lower in Quebec so two cancel each other out thus that in BC and Ontario. 

Funny thing is with white millennials being very progressive, I would argue Tories long term if they want to be successful need to win here.  Visible minorities are generally fairly centrists if not centre-right, just not crazy right wing so lots of potential, but again pandering too much to base and not enough to swing voters.  Similar to US as both African-Americans and Hispanics have lots who lean right and would vote GOP if they weren't so racist, but thanks to that they don't thus why instead of being the dominant they are weaker party.  Tories seem to want to follow same path.

By contrast Ford and Kenney both did well amongst visible minorities and down under, both National and L/NP in Australia did quite well amongst non-whites.  In fact in New Zealand, I believe Chinese community was the only group National Party won in most recent election.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 135  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies