Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:45:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105 ... 135
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 181270 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2475 on: May 18, 2022, 10:23:43 PM »

Rachel Notley must be the happiest woman alive.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2476 on: May 18, 2022, 10:26:21 PM »

She would be happier with Kenney still in office. With the most unpopular premier in Canada gone and a new one coming in, there is the potential for UCP  recovery with a change of image.
Independents for George Santos
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #2477 on: May 18, 2022, 10:29:00 PM »

That factoid is cheating a tad since Klein was elected what, four times before ultimately retiring? Still a surprising note if a little misleading.

I think Notley was the favourite against Kenney since his caucus (and party membership, evidently) was bound to revolt, but I wouldn't be quite so fast to annoint her even if a Wildroser is due to be Kenney's replacement. I'm hardly well versed in Alberta politics but surely the UCP has somebody competent enough to hold their coalition together?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2478 on: May 18, 2022, 10:53:50 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2022, 10:15:23 AM by brucejoel99 »

She would be happier with Kenney still in office. With the most unpopular premier in Canada gone and a new one coming in, there is the potential for UCP  recovery with a change of image.

I think Notley was the favourite against Kenney since his caucus (and party membership, evidently) was bound to revolt, but I wouldn't be quite so fast to annoint her even if a Wildroser is due to be Kenney's replacement. I'm hardly well versed in Alberta politics but surely the UCP has somebody competent enough to hold their coalition together?

I see the conditions for the NDP sweeping Calgary/Edmonton as present no matter what happens in the UCP leadership race since, whoever wins, be it Jean, Danielle Smith, etc., is guaranteed to be to Kenney's right, a fact which is just gonna give Notley even more room to appeal to swing voters in general &, really, 2008 Alberta Liberal-2012 PC-2015 NDP-2019 non-NDP voters in particular; polling already shows the NDP leading in Calgary, the Kingmaker of Alberta, no matter the UCP leader.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #2479 on: May 19, 2022, 10:10:36 PM »

She would be happier with Kenney still in office. With the most unpopular premier in Canada gone and a new one coming in, there is the potential for UCP  recovery with a change of image.

I see the conditions for the NDP sweeping Calgary/Edmonton as present no matter what happens in the UCP leadership race since, whoever wins, be it Jean, Danielle Smith, etc., is guaranteed to be to Kenney's right, a fact which is just gonna give Notley even more room to appeal to swing voters in general &, really, 2009 Alberta Liberal-2012 PC-2015 NDP-2019 non-NDP voters in particular; polling already shows the NDP leading in Calgary, the Kingmaker of Alberta, no matter the UCP leader.

Without making a prediction for the ultimate election outcome, as a Calgarian in an inner suburban riding that the NDP likely needs to win in order to form government, I have seen them organizing here on a scale that dwarfs the 2015 and 2019 elections. This was a riding that the NDP struggled to get 5% of the vote in before 2015, and now we had a contested NDP nomination featuring lawn signs and everything.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2480 on: May 19, 2022, 11:58:08 PM »

The last time Albertans elected a conservative government whose premier served a full term was 2001. That's absolutely incredible. The Alberta NDP would be killing themselves if they didn't declare themselves as the party of stability, in contrast to the circular firing squad on the right.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2481 on: May 21, 2022, 01:38:42 AM »

I see the conditions for the NDP sweeping Calgary/Edmonton as present no matter what happens in the UCP leadership race since, whoever wins, be it Jean, Danielle Smith, etc., is guaranteed to be to Kenney's right, a fact which is just gonna give Notley even more room to appeal to swing voters in general &, really, 2008 Alberta Liberal-2012 PC-2015 NDP-2019 non-NDP voters in particular; polling already shows the NDP leading in Calgary, the Kingmaker of Alberta, no matter the UCP leader.

The urban/rural gap is growing in Alberta.  Calgary isn't really the "Cowtown" or bastion of reactionary suburban conservatism it was a generation ago.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2482 on: May 21, 2022, 08:22:02 AM »

The urban/rural gap is growing in Alberta.  Calgary isn't really the "Cowtown" or bastion of reactionary suburban conservatism it was a generation ago.

And both Jean (Fort McMurray) and Smith (High River) are from ''rural'' areas.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2483 on: May 21, 2022, 10:04:00 AM »

And both Jean (Fort McMurray) and Smith (High River) are from ''rural'' areas.

The UCP line a year from now: "Rachel Notley personally burned down Brian Jean's home."
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2484 on: May 22, 2022, 01:02:06 AM »

Interesting Twitter thread:  Albertans are a bit more conservative than the Canadian general population, but not dramatically so.

https://twitter.com/parkinac/status/1528033478490705922
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2485 on: May 23, 2022, 05:07:10 PM »

Politics 101 final exam

Please answer one of the two with similarities and differences between the two (separate) pairs:

A.Jason Kenney and Pierre Polievre

or
B.Francois Leguault and Benjamin Netanyahu
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2486 on: May 30, 2022, 07:20:01 PM »

Justin Treudeau announces bill to "freeze" handgun market in Canada.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday announced the introduction of a bill that would place a national freeze on handgun ownership across Canada.

"What this means is that it will no longer be possible to buy, sell, transfer or import handguns anywhere in Canada," Trudeau said in a news conference.

"In other words we're capping the market," he added.

If passed, the new anti-gun legislation will fine gun smuggling and trafficking "by increasing maximum criminal penalties and providing more tools for law enforcement to investigate firearm crimes," Trudeau said.

The new legislation would also require that long gun magazines "can never" hold more than five rounds.
"Gun violence is a complex problem, but at the end of the day the math is really quite simple: The fewer the guns in our communities, the safer everyone will be," the Prime Minister said.

Trudeau added that while most gun owners use their handguns safely and in accordance with the law, "we don't need assault style weapons that were designed to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time."
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2487 on: May 30, 2022, 07:33:42 PM »

Another Liberal gun law that doesn't deal with the guns coming in from our southern neighbour *sigh*
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2488 on: June 02, 2022, 12:23:18 AM »

I too think Notley is likely to win.  Not certain as Alberta does have a conservative tilt although much less so than stereotype.  Strong economy and healthy surplus do help governing party but also allows NDP to implement more of their spending without running up big deficits or big tax hikes (beyond usual tax hike on rich and large corporations).  Perhaps will try to paint her as to close to Trudeau but not sure that will work.  Trudeau and Singh not popular in Alberta, but not hated to degree some on right think.

When one considers demographics of Calgary, diverse, young, and fairly educated, it should be a fairly progressive city.  Two main things standing in way are high incomes and energy industry.  Former is less relevant than in past while on latter, Notley is much more friendlier to it than Trudeau or Singh.

UCP could win if they accepted Alberta isn't that conservative and were moderate.  Problem is too many live in a delusional world believing Alberta is like your typical red state in US when it is not.  Ontario tomorrow is about to elect a PC majority (quite possibly larger than 2018) and Legault should coast to easy victory this fall in Quebec.  Both provinces more progressive than Alberta, but conservatives in both recognize this and are far more pragmatic.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2489 on: June 02, 2022, 11:30:58 PM »

With Doug Ford secure until 2026, how will this affect the next federal election, when it comes? Of course, there's Ontarians' habit of electing different parties at both levels. But, how will Doug Ford's seemingly moderate stance this time affect the CPC leadership rate??
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2490 on: June 02, 2022, 11:55:52 PM »

UCP could win if they accepted Alberta isn't that conservative and were moderate.  Problem is too many live in a delusional world believing Alberta is like your typical red state in US when it is not.  Ontario tomorrow is about to elect a PC majority (quite possibly larger than 2018) and Legault should coast to easy victory this fall in Quebec.  Both provinces more progressive than Alberta, but conservatives in both recognize this and are far more pragmatic.

A big factor that allowed Doug Ford to cruise to a second term was that the anti-vaxxer and far-right crazies within the PCPO broke away themselves, and saved him from having to please them. These crazies want to think they're indispensable to the PCPO, but they were proven wrong tonight.

The crazies within the UCPA were the ones who defenestrated Jason Kenney, and now it's an open question whether the UCPA can survive intact.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2491 on: June 05, 2022, 02:49:39 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2022, 02:54:58 AM by OCPD Frank »

These are the 14 pro freedom and pro life Liberal M.Ps who voted for NDP M.P Gord John's private members bill to decriminalize illicit drugs.  Of course, outright legalization (and regulation) is the most pro freedom and pro life approach, but decriminalization would be a start.  Every Conservative M.P present showed themselves as the pro-death authoritarians that they are.

1.Jenica Atwin
2.Julie Dabrusin
3.Julie Dzerowicz
4.Nathaniel Erskine-Smith
5.Andy Filmore
6.Brendan Hanley
7.Joel Lightbound
8.Wayne Long
9.Heath MacDonald
10.Soraya Martinez-Ferrada
11.Ron McKinnon
12.Michael McLeod
13.Michael Coteau
14.Marc Garneau

Kevin Vuong also voted for freedom and life.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2492 on: June 05, 2022, 06:50:33 AM »

Did an airport run yesterday and completely forgot that there's still a mask mandate in federally regulated institutions. What a silly rule.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2493 on: June 05, 2022, 06:12:13 PM »

Did an airport run yesterday and completely forgot that there's still a mask mandate in federally regulated institutions. What a silly rule.

The federal government absolutely loves utterly useless Covid legacy rules - the mask mandate is probably the least silly of all, when you consider things like ArriveCAN (the lack of which apparently forced a fully-vaccinated couple returning from a day trip to Plattsburgh to quarantine!) and the random arrival testing which is costing over $1 billion now.

My personal favourite, which they quietly dropped a month or so ago, was the apparent requirement that all travellers returning to Canada needed to wear a mask in public spaces for 14 days after their return.

I'm going to France in a bit over a month so I look forward to dealing with our federal government's incompetence at the airports.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2494 on: June 05, 2022, 08:13:49 PM »

The federal government absolutely loves utterly useless Covid legacy rules - the mask mandate is probably the least silly of all, when you consider things like ArriveCAN (the lack of which apparently forced a fully-vaccinated couple returning from a day trip to Plattsburgh to quarantine!) and the random arrival testing which is costing over $1 billion now.

My personal favourite, which they quietly dropped a month or so ago, was the apparent requirement that all travellers returning to Canada needed to wear a mask in public spaces for 14 days after their return.

I'm going to France in a bit over a month so I look forward to dealing with our federal government's incompetence at the airports.

I arrived from Cuba last week, and the lineup at YYZ Terminal 3 was completely insane. The customs staff were, thankfully, more interested in how much rum I bought, rather than anything virus-related. I was randomly selected for an antigen test, though it was clearly done for show. It's time to scrap all travel measures, aside from masks on board.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2495 on: June 28, 2022, 04:03:36 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2496 on: June 28, 2022, 05:02:41 PM »

An understandable decision; one that's obviously sad to hear about, but his health must come first. Now, your go, BCNDP...
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2497 on: July 02, 2022, 12:06:27 AM »

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2022/06/28/university-of-toronto-launches-new-degree-in-black-health.html

lol.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2498 on: July 25, 2022, 08:03:48 PM »

Disclaimer: Lurid
It is quite disappointing nobody has broached the complicity of Hockey Canada, a federally funded institution until this all came out, in the sexual abuse scandal coming out of the '03 and '18 worlds teams. Relevant as they were until recently received federal funds. I played thru bantam down in the States before concussions got the better of me and unfortunately can only vouch for the misogyny rampant in the sport's culture. And oh yeah, your tax dollars and junior hockey dues might've helped cover it up.

First, Beaverton with the best take here as usual

Global News’s run down of the 2018 allegations:
Jan. 5, 2018 _ Canada’s world junior hockey team defeats Sweden in the gold-medal final in Buffalo, N.Y.

June 18, 2018 _ Hockey Canada Foundation Gala & Golf event begins in London.

June 19, 2018 _ A woman’s stepfather informs Hockey Canada she alleges she was sexually assaulted by eight players, including members of the world junior team, while intoxicated the previous night following the event. Hockey Canada says it spoke with its insurance provider and then informed London police, which opened an investigation. Hockey Canada subsequently opened its own third-party investigation using a Toronto law firm.

June 22, 2002 _ The House of Commons unanimously approves a Bloc Quebecois motion to pursue an independent investigation that will look into how Hockey Canada dealt with the allegations.

June 28, 2022 _ Scotiabank announces it is pausing sponsorship of Hockey Canada until the financial institution is confident the right steps are taken to improve the culture within the sport. Retail giant Canadian Tire and telecommunications company Telus follow suit later in the day, withdrawing support from the pandemic-delayed world junior hockey championship in August.

June 29, 2022 _ Tim Hortons and Imperial Oil, under its Esso brand, join a growing list of companies to pull sponsorship dollars.

July 14, 2022 _ Hockey Canada says in an open letter to Canadians it is reopening a third-party investigation into the alleged 2018 assault. The sport’s national federation adds participation by the players in question will be mandatory, and that anyone who declines will be banned from all activities and programs. Hockey Canada says it now requires players, coaches, team staff and volunteers associated with its high-performance program to participate in mandatory sexual violence and consent training. It will also conduct a third-party review of the organization’s governance, and commits to become a full signatory to the Office of the Integrity Commissioner. Hockey Canada adds it will also create an “independent and confidential complaint mechanism” to provide victims and survivors tools and support to come forward.

July 18, 2022 _ The Canadian Press is first to report Hockey Canada has maintained a fund that draws on minor hockey membership fees to pay for uninsured liabilities, including sexual abuse claims. The detail is included in a July 2021 affidavit sworn by Glen McCurdie, who was then Hockey Canada’s vice-president of insurance and risk management, as part of a lawsuit launched by an injured player in Ontario.

July 20, 2022 _ Hockey Canada says it will no longer use its “National Equity Fund” to settle sexual assault claims.

As for the 2003 case, TSN revealed they have seen video of the 03 Worlds team gang raping and dehumanizing a woman in turns.

TSN reports that a source contacted Nater and described a video of the alleged sexual assault to the MP. TSN spoke to the source and two others who have watched the video and all three corroborate that it shows approximately SIX PLAYERS FROM CANADA'S JUNIOR HOCKEY TEAM RAPING A WOMAN WHO WAS FACE-UP AND NON-RESPONSIVE ON A TABLE.

One of the three sources told TSN that one of the players from the 2003 team had borrowed their video camera during the tournament in Halifax and the graphic recording was still on the camera when it was returned to them. That person said they were pressured by the players to delete the video and that they never reported it to police.

Many victims of sexual assault, predominantly female, suffer PTSD and other mental disorder through no fault of their own. In fact, a few feel so dehumanized they take their own lives. I only hope the poor woman described in this blurb is alive and will eventually take solace in her tormentors seeing the cold cell they deserve.

Tl;dr: There is credible evidence both the 2003 and 2018 Hockey Canada junior worlds teams gang raped for their own pleasure. Statistically speaking, one of these incidents may have driven another human being to suicide. Your tax dollars and the junior hockey dues of the OHL, WHL, and Q financed the depravity of these adolescents. Most of all, it's time to have a bigger discussion of misogyny in hockey. The sport itself is an expression of violence and grace nearly unparalleled, it is a way of life for many Canadians to earn their blades around the time they start walking. And if I'm disgusted, you should feel disgusted. For God's sake, we were saying Puck Bunnies and Puck S1uts in bantam, maybe it's a good thing I got K.O.ed when I did.

Last but not least, my Flyers' Carter Hart earned the privilege of starting for that team after setting the WHL shutout record for the Silvertips. Former Flyer and Stanley Cup champ w/the Blues Scottie Upshall is implicated in the 2003 investigation. Hart is already expected to shoulder a lot of games started as the Russians kidnapped our backup goalie. And yet, they need to terminate his contract on the spot if he is indicted. It is a moral imperative.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2499 on: July 28, 2022, 07:42:51 PM »

Seems the Greens have a new leadership candidate. Elizabeth May.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2022/07/28/elizabeth-may-set-to-join-green-party-leadership-race-sources-say.html
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105 ... 135  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies