UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 10:55:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 36
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2019 and onwards, The End of May  (Read 65863 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: April 03, 2019, 11:38:25 AM »

I think they should leave on No Deal. That’s what the people voted for.

But then a General election is needed cause clearly there is no confidence in the Government.

This is the Tories putting their party ahead of the country... this is harder to do in our system,
one reason I don’t like the Parliament system that Canada and the UK have.

Your idiotic, ignorant and completely clueless comments are really not welcome. This is serious, a really serious issue that could potential cause serious damage to the lives of a lot of people, not a fycking game.

I have to admit a part of me wants a hard Brexit to happen just so people will see how such stuff ends, especially idiots ruling certain countries. But then I force myself to think about the people who will potentially die, or at the very least suffer, from this. In any case pro-Brexit idiots, especially those who lied to people about this being so easy, played and continue to play with fire getting rapidly out of control.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #376 on: April 03, 2019, 12:15:51 PM »

I think they should leave on No Deal. That’s what the people voted for.

Welcome to Atlas, Mr. Farage. It's an honor to have such a distinguished person in our midst.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #377 on: April 03, 2019, 12:25:32 PM »

Quote from: Reuters
VIENNA (Reuters) - There is currently “absolutely no reason” for another extension to Brexit because the situation in Britain’s parliament has not fundamentally changed, Austria’s Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said on Wednesday.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-austria-extension/austria-sees-absolutely-no-reason-for-brexit-extension-idUKKCN1RF10Q

Under Article 50 rules, one member state opposing would be enough to deny the UK an extension. In practice, I doubt that such a big decision would be made in that way in the European Council.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #378 on: April 03, 2019, 12:37:06 PM »

Quote from: Reuters
VIENNA (Reuters) - There is currently “absolutely no reason” for another extension to Brexit because the situation in Britain’s parliament has not fundamentally changed, Austria’s Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said on Wednesday.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-austria-extension/austria-sees-absolutely-no-reason-for-brexit-extension-idUKKCN1RF10Q

Under Article 50 rules, one member state opposing would be enough to deny the UK an extension. In practice, I doubt that such a big decision would be made in that way in the European Council.

Both Macron and Kurz are hardline. Just shows that this fantasy second extension that May wants it’s happening under these circumstances.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #379 on: April 03, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »

It's worth remembering that EU leaders say things for domestic audiences just as much as any politician.

The problem is that there is no reasonable prospect of Britain sorting itself out by 12 April and forcing No Deal won't fix that either...
Omega21

« Reply #380 on: April 03, 2019, 02:11:01 PM »

Why the hell hasn't anyone linked this before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9uj2GY1MHQ
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #381 on: April 03, 2019, 02:46:14 PM »

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #382 on: April 03, 2019, 02:49:15 PM »

I certainly wouldn't. It doesn't give us anything it couldn't do as part of Ireland.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #383 on: April 03, 2019, 04:24:36 PM »

That poll says more about little the average citizen in Great Britain thinks or cares about NI, rather than actual support for reunification.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #384 on: April 03, 2019, 04:53:15 PM »

That poll says more about little the average citizen in Great Britain thinks or cares about NI, rather than actual support for reunification.

I didn't say otherwise. 36% not care and 9% not sure adds up to a whopping 45% plurality for shrugging.

It can't be heartening to the DUP to  place so much identity on a union to a power which doesn't remotely care about you.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #385 on: April 03, 2019, 05:00:49 PM »

91 Tory MPs voted against a Government-backed amendment to not limit the powers of the Brexit Secretary in negotiating Brexit Day i.e. can change the date without a positive commons vote. With a defeat of 180, that's the second biggest Government defeat in history... the first being MV1.

Mostly ERG, which some are taking as the manifestation of a threatened backbencher strike.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #386 on: April 03, 2019, 05:22:56 PM »

I wonder if the queen would have dissolved the government by now if it was't for the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #387 on: April 03, 2019, 05:29:50 PM »

I wonder if the queen would have dissolved the government by now if it was't for the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act.

Nope. The Queen won't be getting involved in this at all.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2019, 06:13:17 PM »

Cooper amendment passes its third reading by a single vote.

Now the Lords.......
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #389 on: April 03, 2019, 06:30:55 PM »

Cooper amendment passes its third reading by a single vote.

Now the Lords.......

Looks like the government is gonna let it sail through in the Lords; tomorrow's whipping arrangements for Conservative peers is apparently "come if convenient"... that's not *quite* the language of a government preparing for a voting war, now is it? Of course, Tory Brexiteers are still gonna submit a lot of amendments & filibuster to the max, though the expectation is that after a long time & a lot of votes & amendments, there are overwhelming numbers in the Lords to get the Cooper bill passed (at least, after a very long night).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #390 on: April 04, 2019, 09:31:49 AM »

Commons sitting suspended for the day after the roof starts leaking
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #391 on: April 04, 2019, 11:32:21 AM »

A YouGov poll has no deal Brexit at 51% when the choice is between that or remaining in the EU:

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #392 on: April 04, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »

A YouGov poll has no deal Brexit at 51% when the choice is between that or remaining in the EU:

No it doesn't.  The actual poll data can be found at
https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ojewuniikg/Internal_190401_BrexitTrackers_w.pdf

The question that Leavers are cherry-picking is "And if Britain has not agreed a deal by April 12th
and the European Union refused to grant a further extension, what do you think should happen?" to which the answer was No Deal 44%, Remain 42%, Don't Know 13%.  Note that this is in the context of the EU refusing to grant an extension.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #393 on: April 04, 2019, 11:42:37 AM »

So, somehow I'm able to watch the House of Lords on a channel 1384 and it's a trip.  Content? Not Content?  WTF.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #394 on: April 04, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »

The question that Leavers are cherry-picking is "And if Britain has not agreed a deal by April 12th
and the European Union refused to grant a further extension, what do you think should happen?" to which the answer was No Deal 44%, Remain 42%, Don't Know 13%.  Note that this is in the context of the EU refusing to grant an extension.

Replying with "don't know" is the equivalent of not voting; i.e. those people don't count.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #395 on: April 04, 2019, 12:00:18 PM »

Replying with "don't know" is the equivalent of not voting; i.e. those people don't count.

Except it’s reasonable to say they *will* vote. And, in the other side of things, dishonest to claim there’s an absolute majority of the electorate in favor of No Deal.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #396 on: April 04, 2019, 12:15:24 PM »

That isn't my objection.  My objection is to the fact that people who are making a fuss about this are ignoring the framing and the context of the question; this is Opinion Polling 101: these things matter.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #397 on: April 04, 2019, 12:28:26 PM »

So...six days Parliament is in session between now and the deadline. What is even left to try at this point?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #398 on: April 04, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »

Except it’s reasonable to say they *will* vote. And, in the other side of things, dishonest to claim there’s an absolute majority of the electorate in favor of No Deal.

In fact, trying to estimate how the people who voted "don't know" will actually vote (or turn out in the first place) is one of the most important things when making a poll.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #399 on: April 04, 2019, 02:42:00 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies