2024 watch: Pompeo visiting Iowa (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:10:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2024 watch: Pompeo visiting Iowa (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2024 watch: Pompeo visiting Iowa  (Read 3802 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 12, 2019, 04:11:40 PM »

It's still too early for a "Who is running in 2024?" thread, but just flagging the fact that Pompeo just did an Iowa trip, and people in his orbit say he wants to be president one day:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/politics/pompeo-domestic-travel/index.html

Those who know Pompeo well, however, say that he has political ambitions that extend beyond just the titles of CIA director and Secretary of State: He would also like to be Secretary of Defense and President of the United States.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:13:48 AM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/434445-pompeo-open-to-future-senate-run-the-lord-will-get-me-to-the-right-place

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has signaled that he's open to a future bid for office, telling The Wichita Eagle that he's not ruling anything out.

“I try to just avoid ruling things out when there’s others who are in control,” Pompeo told the newspaper in a story published Sunday. “The Lord will get me to the right place.”

The newspaper noted that Pompeo could run for Senate or Kansas governor in 2022, if not for president in 2024. Pompeo represented the Kansas's 4th District in the House before joining the Trump administration.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »

More Pompeo 2024 watch: He might run for US Senate in Kansas as a stepping stone to a presidential run:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/25/mike-pompeo-senate-kansas-trump-1378323

For Pompeo, a Senate run could be a prelude to a presidential run in 2024. At the least, a spot in the Senate would keep him politically relevant regardless of Trump’s fate in 2020. Still, some senators said privately that the gravitas of the secretary of State post would position him better for a White House run than if he were one of the most junior senators in the building.

Pompeo himself has spoken privately about the prospect of a presidential run. He and his friend Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) attended a private dinner at the American Enterprise Institute’s annual retreat in Sea Island, Ga., this spring.

Asked whether he’s considered running for president, Pompeo responded, “I have,” and then pointed at Cotton and joked: “And I might be running against that guy,” according to one attendee.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 09:01:47 AM »

Pompeo says no to Senate but maybe to president:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies