If there was a 269-269 tie and the vote went to the house... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:19:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  If there was a 269-269 tie and the vote went to the house... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If there was a 269-269 tie and the vote went to the house...  (Read 3784 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: April 09, 2019, 12:10:17 PM »

In a 269-269 electoral tie, one elector would defect to the national popular vote winner to give him/her a majority when the electoral college convenes.

You really think so? These electors are picked by their party.

I'm struggling to imagine a GOP elector choosing to vote for the Democratic nominee if the Dems were to win the popular vote. And imagining a Democratic elector voting for Trump is almost impossible.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 01:45:41 PM »

In a 269-269 electoral tie, one elector would defect to the national popular vote winner to give him/her a majority when the electoral college convenes.

I'm struggling to imagine a GOP elector choosing to vote for the Democratic nominee if the Dems were to win the popular vote. And imagining a Democratic elector voting for Trump is almost impossible.
Fitzpatrick in PA maybe. If the Dem is moderate enough.

I meant this in reference to the actual presidential electors, not House members. Though house members in this situation may be a little more pliable
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:31:10 AM »

Clinton lost 5 electors (232 -> 227) and Trump lost 2 (306 -> 304) by the time the EC convened and actually voted - and that wasn't even a situation where a constitutional crisis could unfold. Of course, none of these 7 actually voted for the other major party nominee.

I think the only question in a 269-269 scenario would be whether the defections would benefit either candidate in net terms.

But those faithless electors voted for other candidates. The scenario posed here is an elector voting for the popular vote winner. A Republican elector could potentially vote for a random candidate, but they are not going to cast a ballot for the Democratic nominee (and all the villification from the right that would ensue)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies