SENATE BILL: Atlasia Territorial Statehood Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:38:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlasia Territorial Statehood Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlasia Territorial Statehood Act (Passed)  (Read 4154 times)
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 08:08:06 PM »

It's done, I assume, to distribute them equally. It's the same as how we don't put all of the UK in Lincoln, or how pre-reset Canada was split between all 5 regions with the maritime regions being in the Southeast, despite it not being contiguous.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 08:11:03 PM »

Have these territories expressed that they want statehood?
Reiterating this again. It was my understanding that at least some of these territories have been pushing for more INDEPENDENCE from the United States IRL. Has it been shown to be different in-game? Right out of the gate, I would be hesitant to get on board with this without vocalized support from each territory that statehood is what they want. This change would also require a constitutional amendment.

As Deputy GM, I will confirm that the situation in Atlasia regarding these territories' opinions about statehood is the same as it is IRL.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 08:11:54 PM »

It's done, I assume, to distribute them equally. It's the same as how we don't put all of the UK in Lincoln, or how pre-reset Canada was split between all 5 regions with the maritime regions being in the Southeast, despite it not being contiguous.

Does that really matter though? It's not like we have tons of posters who are from those states IRL. At least with pre re-set Canada, it made more sense to distribute them evenly because we have actual Canadian posters on this forum.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 09:07:12 PM »

Have these territories expressed that they want statehood?
Reiterating this again. It was my understanding that at least some of these territories have been pushing for more INDEPENDENCE from the United States IRL. Has it been shown to be different in-game? Right out of the gate, I would be hesitant to get on board with this without vocalized support from each territory that statehood is what they want. This change would also require a constitutional amendment.
Much of the movement towards greater autonomy stems from a lack of action from Atlasia regarding concerns of the residents in these territories.

In Guam, for example, the Chamorro people had vast tracts of their property confiscated during the Second World War. They were only offered meager compensation in the 1980's. Many requests for compensation were also denied due to the lack of written documentation of land ownership.

These territories would benefit from actual representation in the Congress and their people deserve to be American citizens at the very least. This legislation accomplishes just that.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »

OK, I just came back from dinner. I'll address these things one at a time:

1) Ninja is correct with regards to my intent on putting the Virgin Islands into Lincoln.

2) For Guam's statehood, I found this poll from 2016 showing 56% of Guam supports statehood. That would be pretty solid. Atlasian Samoa (American Samoa IRL) has explored statehood in 2005 and 2017. The Virgin Islands explored statehood in 1984 as well.

3) Admitting these states into the union would not require a Constitutional amendment. Under Article VII, Section 2 of the Constitution:
New states may be admitted by the Congress into this Union, and apportioned among the several Regions as may be appropriate; but no new state shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the Regions concerned as well as of the Congress.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 06:40:51 AM »

Maybe we should simulate a new referendum.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 11:18:46 AM »

I stand corrected regarding constitutional amendment, thank you for pointing out that clause, Senator ONProgressive.

I think this is the first step. A referendum and also cost calculations from the GM office. I would suggest tabling the bill until that occurs.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 12:10:28 PM »

I stand corrected regarding constitutional amendment, thank you for pointing out that clause, Senator ONProgressive.

I think this is the first step. A referendum and also cost calculations from the GM office. I would suggest tabling the bill until that occurs.

We can go ahead and do a cost estimate. It might still be worthwhile to mandate the referendum just to make sure the territories do it.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »

Ontario was this friendly or Hostile? I don't see where you clearly answered.

Quote from: Amendment 17:02 by Maineiac
SENATE BILL
To provide statehood to the territories of the Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Atlasian Samoa

Be it Enacted in Both Houses of Congress Assembled,

Section 1: Title
1. This act shall be titled the “Atlasia Territorial Statehood Act”

Section 2: Granting Statehood
1. The territory of the Virgin Islands shall be granted statehood on October 1st, 2019
2. The state of the Virgin Islands shall be located within the Lincoln Region
3. The territories of Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands shall be granted statehood on October 1st, 2019
4. The territory of Atlasian Samoa shall be granted statehood on October 1st, 2019
5. The states of Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Atlasian Samoa shall be located within the Fremont Region

Section 3: Granting Citizenship
1. All Atlasian nationals within the territories of Guam, Atlasian Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Virgin Islands shall be granted citizenship
2. Any person born in the territory of Guam, Atlasian Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, or the Virgin Islands shall be granted citizenship

Section 4: Implementation
1. This act shall go into effect immediately

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor Feedback: None Given
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »

Ontario was this friendly or Hostile? I don't see where you clearly answered.

SENATE BILL
To provide statehood to the territories of the Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Atlasian Samoa

1. The territory of the Virgin Islands shall be granted statehood on October 1st, 2019
3. The territories of Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands shall be granted statehood on October 1st, 2019
4. The territory of Atlasian Samoa shall be granted statehood on October 1st, 2019
5. The states of Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and Atlasian Samoa shall be located within the Fremont Region

1. All Atlasian nationals within the territories of Guam, Atlasian Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Virgin Islands shall be granted citizenship
2. Any person born in the territory of Guam, Atlasian Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, or the Virgin Islands shall be granted citizenship

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor Feedback: None Given

Friendly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2019, 07:27:37 PM »

SENATE BILL

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 06:11:35 PM »

The amendment has been adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 05:40:05 AM »

So what now?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2019, 08:02:43 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2019, 08:06:02 AM by tack50 »

I don't think there is much else to debate, the bill seems quite straightforward.

I do not agree with the bill and plan on opposing it, but I motion for a final vote
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2019, 10:19:44 AM »

I will veto the bill in it's present form. As the GM suggested, I would urge Congress to request referendums from each territory first, and then based on those results, we could consider moving forward with statehood.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2019, 11:03:34 AM »

Since the president will veto the bill in its current form, I'm rescinding the motion for a final vote in order to wait for the GM to conduct simulated referendums.

I am still opposed to the bill for reasons I've stated earlier mind you, though I guess I might think about it depending on the referendum results.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »

Since the president will veto the bill in its current form, I'm rescinding the motion for a final vote in order to wait for the GM to conduct simulated referendums.

I am still opposed to the bill for reasons I've stated earlier mind you, though I guess I might think about it depending on the referendum results.

Well, before the GM department does anything, first you need to mandate referendums in each territory.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2019, 01:04:09 PM »

Well, before the GM department does anything, first you need to mandate referendums in each territory.

I imagine the referendums would require an Act of Congress right? (as opposed to an executive order)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2019, 05:21:59 PM »

We could amend the underlying bill into a text that mandates such referendums.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2019, 09:23:14 PM »

It seems the Senate's mind is made up, but for the record, as I believe I am the first person to advocate for admitting these territories to the Union post-reset, I fail to see how a referendum is remotely useful from a gameplay perspective. Because there are no players currently registered in these territories (and presumably no-one could legally register there, at least not without losing their right to vote in Atlasian elections), such a poll would be simulated entirely by the GM—which from my standpoint at least, strays a little too far towards giving the GM a vote on political questions.

Frankly, the arguments against this bill all strike me as very poor, but then I don't know what I was expecting. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2019, 12:41:17 AM »

It seems the Senate's mind is made up, but for the record, as I believe I am the first person to advocate for admitting these territories to the Union post-reset, I fail to see how a referendum is remotely useful from a gameplay perspective. Because there are no players currently registered in these territories (and presumably no-one could legally register there, at least not without losing their right to vote in Atlasian elections), such a poll would be simulated entirely by the GM—which from my standpoint at least, strays a little too far towards giving the GM a vote on political questions.

Frankly, the arguments against this bill all strike me as very poor, but then I don't know what I was expecting. Tongue

Never presume anything to be case in terms of Senate support. Tongue
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2019, 10:45:24 AM »

I think it's fine to give the GM department the right to conduct the referendums. After all, since no one can move to the territories, it would only be NPCs voting.

I imagine American Samoa will reject statehood while everyone else would accept?

In any case, I now wonder whether the referendums can be introduced here or need a separate bill. And if we have them here, will we vote for their final statehood in the future?

I personally support the referendums but oppose their statehood (this last position might change depending on results; I would be opposed to a 51-49 result but in favour if it's 97-3)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2019, 01:07:55 PM »

My 2 cents.

If entrusted to simulate elections I intend to see results as reflective of reality as possible from the standpoint on the NPCs after some research. Its sort of hard to reconcile some aspects of political mergers in game with reality. Frankly, I still dont understand whatever this quasi union thing we have with the UK is. Its probably the least realistic (and goofiest) part of the lore, it makes no sense, a realistic UK would never have agreed to it, and if I wasn't trying to preserve earlier GM stories al a stare decisis I'd probably nullify it for being so nonsensical. So if I simulate the elections I intend to base them off research into how the citizens of the territories would actually vote, rather than adopting the previous mentality of everyone everywhere will always merge with us as well as my own mentality which is statehood is unnecessary.

So referendums may call for statehood or they may not; they may or may not be uniform answers. I honestly cant project at this point without research. But I do intend to divorce my political views from whatever outcome results if I am asked to simulate elections. Part of the fun of being GM is getting into the headspace of the NPCs and predicting what they'd want.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2019, 07:37:13 PM »

My 2 cents.

If entrusted to simulate elections I intend to see results as reflective of reality as possible from the standpoint on the NPCs after some research. Its sort of hard to reconcile some aspects of political mergers in game with reality. Frankly, I still dont understand whatever this quasi union thing we have with the UK is. Its probably the least realistic (and goofiest) part of the lore, it makes no sense, a realistic UK would never have agreed to it, and if I wasn't trying to preserve earlier GM stories al a stare decisis I'd probably nullify it for being so nonsensical. So if I simulate the elections I intend to base them off research into how the citizens of the territories would actually vote, rather than adopting the previous mentality of everyone everywhere will always merge with us as well as my own mentality which is statehood is unnecessary.

So referendums may call for statehood or they may not; they may or may not be uniform answers. I honestly cant project at this point without research. But I do intend to divorce my political views from whatever outcome results if I am asked to simulate elections. Part of the fun of being GM is getting into the headspace of the NPCs and predicting what they'd want.

That is the best approach a GM can take really.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »

So are we amending the underlying text?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies