MO-GOV 2020 megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:18:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO-GOV 2020 megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MO-GOV 2020 megathread  (Read 4888 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« on: March 04, 2019, 02:33:44 AM »
« edited: March 04, 2019, 02:47:37 AM by Jimmie »

Nicole Galloway is probably the smartest option

But Dems would lose her state auditor seat and I think MO is just too Republican and polarized to elect a statewide Democrat, Claire McCaskill who has been in Missouri politics forever, was ousted by someone who spent less than 2 years in their job and drew concerns that he did not campaign well and was sleepwalking.

Galloway would appoint the vacancy in the auditors office to fill the remainder of her term. However, Galloway is highly unlikely to run for governor. We have that office solely because Tom Schweich died by suicide and the Republicans nominated the worst possible opponent imaginable again Galloway in 2018.

Saundra McDowell has been sued 7 times, did not meet the residency requirement, called Galloway a DOG in their debate, and is having her wages garnished.. yet she still got 44% of the statewide vote!

I am still 50/50 if Galloway's win was impressive or not. One one hand her opponent was an interesting character.  But on the other hand the auditors contest was way over shadowed by the US Senate and it was widely assumed whoever won the Senate contest would also win the Auditors contest.

It seems like the MO GOP is settled on white bread and steady Gov. Mike Parson for reelection.

However, former Gov. Eric Greitens may challenge Parson to get his job back after resigning due to scandal.

For the Democrats, I think Russ or Robin Carnahan would be good choices to take back the State House, since Claire McCaskill looks like her political career is over as she is a pundit now.

No Robin and Russ Carnahan are NOT going back into politics lmao.. and Greitens is not going anywhere near a gop primary.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 01:35:03 AM »

Yeah Stenger is about to go to jail lol. Scott Sifton was looking to run a few months ago, but maybe he wised up and realized he’d get flattened. He’s much better off going for MO-02.

Missouri Dems won’t win a gubernatorial race again until the state’s gone full RWNJ-Kansas. And that won’t happen under Parson. If someone like Ashcroft becomes Governor in 2024 though that would be when it would start. That’s probably what it would require to get enough suburban voters and the mid-sized cities to revolt.

I actually have MO-02 as Safe R for 2020. While I was proven right on my thoughts last cycle.... my thoughts have changed for the next cycle.

Considering that Koster and Kander lost races many thought Democrats were favored in and that McCaskill lost by 6 points and Galloway barely garnered 50% of the vote against a fraud will make Democrats hesitant to contest anything in Missouri.

Though I would agree with you Scott Sifton should run for MO-02. If he does I will revisit my currently rating which is based on lack of resources. Sifton may only be a one term congressman but at least it could raise his profile for a future statewide run.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 04:19:40 AM »

I think Democrats should compete in MO.

Steve Stenger or Stephen Webber would be good, especially if the Carnahans are finished with politics.

are you drunk?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 04:53:57 AM »

I think Democrats should compete in MO.

Steve Stenger or Stephen Webber would be good, especially if the Carnahans are finished with politics.

are you drunk?

Suggesting Steve Stenger as a statewide candidate is suggestive.

unsure what bronz will suggest next.

But... taking a guess that within 4 months he will suggest Maria Chappelle-Nadal as the person to defeat Parson.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 12:07:08 AM »

Does bronz still think Steve Stenger is a great statewide candidate?

https://fox2now.com/2019/04/29/sam-page-sworn-in-as-new-st-louis-county-executive/

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 03:23:41 PM »

I agree that Galloway is moving towards a run, and would likely win the primary if she did so. Missouri is often surprising to outsiders down ballot, and honestly, abortion is not typically the dividing line here in statewide campaigns. Parson will be a hard nut to crack, especially with Trump on the ballot, but Missouri Democrats have a lot of experience running campaigns against more establishment Republican candidates than they do against an unknown flush with outside money like Greitens. Also, Galloway doesn't have to win to make a big impact: if it is close, she will likely be up in MO-02 by quite a bit and could possibly knock off Wagner, which would make every Missouri Democrat cheer.

McCaskill won MO 2nd, still dems didn’t defeat Wagner

I mean.. Wagner's opponent was a literal "some dude".

Democrats should start rebuilding the bench in the Midwest by targeting MO-02 and IN-05 as rentals and credible campaigns would help with winning some down ballot legislative or local offices as well.

Before anyone gets excited about Galloway we have to remember who her opponent was. Even if it is cancelled out by the fact we had a counter wave, Galloway was appointed in a somewhat controversial matter, and the Auditors race was way overshadowed by the Senate Race.

But her victory last year proved my point. Missouri Democrats could win statewide by efficiently campaigning in the metro areas and reducing GOP margins in some areas north of the Missouri River.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies