Younger voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:26:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Younger voters?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Are Millenials/Gen-Zers more liberal because of their age, or is it a generational change?
Age-based

Generation-based

A combination

Neither (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Younger voters?  (Read 3094 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2021, 05:29:57 PM »

I think the swings toward Trump in non-white areas should serve as a warning sign to Democrats hopes that Millenials and Gen Z will remain loyal to the party. I think the GOP has tapped into a nerve among many younger people of color who feel abandoned by the Democratic Party and cultural liberalism, "wokeness," and "feminism." I personally disagree with these views, but many of my teenage students in these communities really seem bothered by "woke" culture, even when I try to break it down for them. It's obviously very complex, but I think many youth feel left out of the elitism of the cultural liberalism that predominates social media from the Democratic Party.

I can anecdotally confirm this sense of alienation from contemporary cultural liberalism espoused by the Democratic party among some nonwhite Millennials and older iGens I know. That being said, the individuals I have in mind are probably quite different demographically from your high school students- they're almost all Asian and have all attended college at some point- and their overall skepticism of/ambivalence toward woke culture (which I can relate to despite holding "woke" views on many issues) doesn't necessarily indicate support for the GOP.

Meanwhile, real issues like lockdowns, evictions, high costs of college, high cost of living, and poverty loom. I think the pandemic is going to create a sharp class cleavage with Democrats being remembered for trying to keep working class people from earning money, while "work-from-home elites" were able to thrive.

I think education will become a sharper cleavage. I observe a lot of students who struggle to read getting lost in Snapchat and Instagram misinformation about the virus, social issues, and more, while the students who seem more set to go to college and thrive are able to navigate these complexities. I wish I knew how to teach critical thinking of information - but it's hard in the age of constant information!

As long as the Democrats continue to ignore real change in their economic platform, elections will be decided on cultural and social issues - which has the potential to realign many Millenials and Gen Zers to the GOP.

Judging from 2020 exit poll age crosstabs, it looks like a lot of older Millennials voted for 45. I was surprised to see how much more R the 25-29 group was than the 18-24 group in the Edison exit polls (which probably was not the most accurate, but still).

Is it really bad for Democrats to be the party of the eeucated?
That means we could use the lack of education against the GOP base and spread disinformation/suppress their voters.

It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it isn't really a good thing either. An education based realignment could reinforce existing racial/ethnic biases across and within different nonwhite groups, especially if partisanship remains as strong as it is today. Think "fancy asians vs jungle asians", "model minority" vs "the Other", etc. but mapped onto a reverse Dem vs GOP divide. More broadly, I worry that Dems becoming the party of the educated would subvert their nominal goal of being a left-of-center party that stands up for the less privileged and less well-off.

If you subscribe to the coming of age theory, there's a small cohort born between about 1992 and 1997 that would have been too young to be swept up in the "hope and change", but already have been politically aware before Trump.  You can also see it in a somewhat decreased level of activism on college campuses between 2011 and the spring of 2016.  I'll also note that, in 2016, the 18-24 vs. 25-29 polarization was not so apparent.  There was also a Washington Post article claiming that Mitt Romney outright won 18-20 year old voters in 2012, but that's probably impossible to truly know.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2021, 05:34:52 PM »

If you subscribe to the coming of age theory, there's a small cohort born between about 1992 and 1997 that would have been too young to be swept up in the "hope and change", but already have been politically aware before Trump.  You can also see it in a somewhat decreased level of activism on college campuses between 2011 and the spring of 2016.  I'll also note that, in 2016, the 18-24 vs. 25-29 polarization was not so apparent.  There was also a Washington Post article claiming that Mitt Romney outright won 18-20 year old voters in 2012, but that's probably impossible to truly know.

I don't believe this at all. Also, speaking as someone who was in this age cohort in 2012 (and in college during the 2011-2016 period you're referring to) there was still very much a pro-Obama sentiment on campuses as well as left-wing activism which you could maybe refer to as the start of a certain type of woke culture.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2021, 05:43:40 PM »

I don't believe this at all. Also, speaking as someone who was in this age cohort in 2012 (and in college during the 2011-2016 period you're referring to) there was still very much a pro-Obama sentiment on campuses as well as left-wing activism which you could maybe refer to as the start of a certain type of woke culture.

I was in college from 2014 to 2018, and I'll tell you that the political climate was vastly different between my freshman and sophomore years compared to my junior and senior years.  For instance, when I got there, the College Republicans had more than twice the membership of the College Democrats.  When I graduated, those numbers had flipped.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 06:03:13 PM »

I think the swings toward Trump in non-white areas should serve as a warning sign to Democrats hopes that Millenials and Gen Z will remain loyal to the party. I think the GOP has tapped into a nerve among many younger people of color who feel abandoned by the Democratic Party and cultural liberalism, "wokeness," and "feminism." I personally disagree with these views, but many of my teenage students in these communities really seem bothered by "woke" culture, even when I try to break it down for them. It's obviously very complex, but I think many youth feel left out of the elitism of the cultural liberalism that predominates social media from the Democratic Party.

I can anecdotally confirm this sense of alienation from contemporary cultural liberalism espoused by the Democratic party among some nonwhite Millennials and older iGens I know. That being said, the individuals I have in mind are probably quite different demographically from your high school students- they're almost all Asian and have all attended college at some point- and their overall skepticism of/ambivalence toward woke culture (which I can relate to despite holding "woke" views on many issues) doesn't necessarily indicate support for the GOP.

Meanwhile, real issues like lockdowns, evictions, high costs of college, high cost of living, and poverty loom. I think the pandemic is going to create a sharp class cleavage with Democrats being remembered for trying to keep working class people from earning money, while "work-from-home elites" were able to thrive.

I think education will become a sharper cleavage. I observe a lot of students who struggle to read getting lost in Snapchat and Instagram misinformation about the virus, social issues, and more, while the students who seem more set to go to college and thrive are able to navigate these complexities. I wish I knew how to teach critical thinking of information - but it's hard in the age of constant information!

As long as the Democrats continue to ignore real change in their economic platform, elections will be decided on cultural and social issues - which has the potential to realign many Millenials and Gen Zers to the GOP.

Judging from 2020 exit poll age crosstabs, it looks like a lot of older Millennials voted for 45. I was surprised to see how much more R the 25-29 group was than the 18-24 group in the Edison exit polls (which probably was not the most accurate, but still).

Is it really bad for Democrats to be the party of the eeucated?
That means we could use the lack of education against the GOP base and spread disinformation/suppress their voters.

It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it isn't really a good thing either. An education based realignment could reinforce existing racial/ethnic biases across and within different nonwhite groups, especially if partisanship remains as strong as it is today. Think "fancy asians vs jungle asians", "model minority" vs "the Other", etc. but mapped onto a reverse Dem vs GOP divide. More broadly, I worry that Dems becoming the party of the educated would subvert their nominal goal of being a left-of-center party that stands up for the less privileged and less well-off.

I’m in the 25-29 group and I saw the culture change a lot in my senior year when Trump was a candidate in the primary. I also saw it more socially acceptable for people I know to come out as transgender or non-binary and feel happier as a result.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2021, 06:54:30 PM »

I am a member of the 1992-1997 birth cohort, was a college student during the 2016 presidential primaries, and didn't feel like there was a significant increase in college campus activism around then. I did get the sense that the overall campus social/political atmosphere had changed around when preferred pronouns became a thing, although part of it might've been from interacting with more white female liberal arts majors.

I wasn't surprised to see polarization between the 18-24 and 25-29 age cohorts in the Edison exit poll- I feel like iGens are noticeably more culturally liberal than my age cohort. I didn't expect Trump to get 43% of 25-29 year olds though. Even 40% Trump among 25-29 year olds would've surprised me considering the breakdowns for 30-39, 30-44, and 40-49.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2021, 04:52:56 PM »

I am a member of the 1992-1997 birth cohort, was a college student during the 2016 presidential primaries, and didn't feel like there was a significant increase in college campus activism around then. I did get the sense that the overall campus social/political atmosphere had changed around when preferred pronouns became a thing, although part of it might've been from interacting with more white female liberal arts majors.

I wasn't surprised to see polarization between the 18-24 and 25-29 age cohorts in the Edison exit poll- I feel like iGens are noticeably more culturally liberal than my age cohort. I didn't expect Trump to get 43% of 25-29 year olds though. Even 40% Trump among 25-29 year olds would've surprised me considering the breakdowns for 30-39, 30-44, and 40-49.

Trump only got 36% of 18-29 according to Fox News exit poll which seems more accurate than AP one.  In fact Biden won white 18-29 51-45%.  Only reason Trump did as well as guessing big gender gap as I think Trump struggles a lot more with younger females than younger males.  A lot the types you see at MAGA rallies are 18-29 white males.  Also big educational and marriage divide.  A rural white millennial who is married with children at 25 is probably voting Trump while one who lives in a metro area rents rather than owns and is living with boyfriend/girlfriend but not children or living alone probably far more likely to go Democrat.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies