TX Governor's Mansion 2022: Abbott 3rd term (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:40:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX Governor's Mansion 2022: Abbott 3rd term (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TX Governor's Mansion 2022: Abbott 3rd term  (Read 2068 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: March 02, 2019, 03:31:28 PM »

This probably isn't a good idea.

Not in terms of my personal preferences, since I never voted for him to begin with.

But one of the contributing factors to how wacky and clown car-ish the 2014 GOP primaries in Texas were was the fact that Rick Perry stayed in office too long and created a pileup of lower officeholders who were fed up with waiting to move up to new positions.

If Abbott is going to stay, that leaves nowhere for Dan Patrick to go, and that could be problematic.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »

This probably isn't a good idea.

Not in terms of my personal preferences, since I never voted for him to begin with.

But one of the contributing factors to how wacky and clown car-ish the 2014 GOP primaries in Texas were was the fact that Rick Perry stayed in office too long and created a pileup of lower officeholders who were fed up with waiting to move up to new positions.

If Abbott is going to stay, that leaves nowhere for Dan Patrick to go, and that could be problematic.

Out of interest, what are the problems caused by boxing Patrick into the Liuetenant Governor's office? Is it that it prevents other officials (George P. Bush etc) from moving up the totem pole?

Moving up the totem pole to what?

I think after the 2018 elections, the TX GOP is in this weird state where it's dominant enough to generally expect to win a given statewide office election, but not dominant enough that regularly contested primaries can become a thing the way they were for Texas Democrats prior to the 1960s.

Dan Patrick being boxed in to the lieutenant governorship is a problem because, for starters, he's terrible at the job. And I don't mean that from an ideological perspective. He's needlessly pissed off senators from his own party and started off the legislative session by picking a fight with the most senior Republican in the chamber. If the Republicans' majority in the state senate narrows after 2020, it leaves less room for his bull-in-a-china-shop approach to the job.

If Abbott doesn't retire, nobody can "move up" without primarying someone else.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 02:02:12 AM »

If Abbott was not disabled he would be a 2024 or 2028 contender; I see him as a future Republican AG.

We had a president who was in a wheelchair once, and he was elected president four times. If he hadn't died, he probably could have won a fifth. There was so much winning, they had to adopt a constitutional amendment to put a limit on the winning.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies