Who else thinks Gary Peters is vulnerable in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 08:18:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who else thinks Gary Peters is vulnerable in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who else thinks Gary Peters is vulnerable in 2020?  (Read 1014 times)
Hatchet
Luthera
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2019, 11:42:07 PM »

With the decline in ticket-splitting, I very much doubt Gary Peters will get reelected if Trump carries the state, especially if John James runs again. Michigan is turning red thanks to the declining Detroit metropolitan area and the overall slow growth of the state. When will Democrats realize that the Midwest is increasingly becoming less competitive?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 11:53:18 PM »

If Trump only carries it narrowly, as he did in 2016, then Peters could hold on. Also keep in mind that African American turnout was pretty significantly depressed in 2016. If it gets reasonably better, MI would be the first Trump state to flip back to the Dems.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 01:02:10 AM »

Peters is only "vulnerable" in the sense that literally all the other Democrats (with the obvious except of Jones) are safe.

There's also a 99% chance that Peters would actually campaign, unlike Stabenow who sleepwalked to reelection.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 01:18:56 AM »

He (and Shaheen) are more vulnerable than any 2020 Democratic Senator not named Doug Jones, but that's not saying much.

Here's something to consider: In the past decade, the only Democratic Senators who lost reelection and weren't from deep red states are Feingold, Udall, Hagan and Nelson. The first three were up in Republican wave years, and Bill Nelson got lazy and faced just about the most formidable opponent that any Senator possibly could - a popular two-term incumbent governor with a massive fortune to burn.

2020 is not likely to be a Republican wave year like 2010 or 2014, and there is nobody in Michigan who is nearly as strong a challenger as Rick Scott.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 07:42:42 AM »

He's only vulnerable if he sleeps through his campaign and Trump carries the state by 4+ points.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 09:10:19 AM »

Trump lost MI, when Gretchen Whittmer was elected Gov
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »

If John James is the nominee (which I think he will be), Peters will be in serious trouble. This guy comes out of nowhere and comes within 6.5% of beating an entrenched incumbent, I shudder to think of how he could do against a first-termer.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 09:26:50 AM »

Peters is a strong candidate and Whitmer and the Democratic nominee and all Dem congressmen will help MI be a blue state again
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »

This idea that Peters is safe is of course ridiculous, but I’m also not entirely convinced that he’s a weaker candidate than Debbie "Levin" Stabenow. While he’s overrated by Democrats, Republicans are going to need a favorable environment to take him down. It could certainly happen if Trump wins MI again (which he almost certainly will if he wins reelection), and he’s clearly the most vulnerable Democrat after Jones (not saying much, though).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 09:51:28 AM »

2020 can be a blue wave again, and we can see a 300 vote landslide against a Wallstreet Banker, that we saw in 2012, against Romney. Caution to GOP
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 11:43:28 AM »

Depends on how well Trump does in the state and the quality of the candidate the GOP nominates.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 12:31:07 PM »

I feel pretty confident that, as a non-controversial incumbent, he's not going to run behind the Democratic presidential candidate.

But at the same time, I don't see any reason why it should be assumed that Peters would run more than a couple points ahead of the national ticket.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »

Peters while dull and uncontroversial is relatively unknown by MI voters for an incumbent. I read a poll somewhere recently (can't remember) that stated something like 35% of Michigan voters did not know who he was.

Likewise, his winning margin was only significant in 2014 because he faced a terrible opponent.

That said the GOP tends to have bad luck with Michigan Senate races and the state is somewhat elastic imo. So even if Trump wins Michigan again he could pull through.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2019, 03:48:16 PM by peenie_weenie »

With the decline in ticket-splitting, I very much doubt Gary Peters will get reelected if Trump carries the state,
This starting premise is flawed. Whitmer won MI by nine points and Stabenow won by six. Tony Evers won by one point while Tammy Baldwin won by 11. Amy Klobuchar won by 24 points while Tim Walz and Tina Smith won by 10/11. Sherrod Brown won OH and Richard Cordray lost it. Ticket splitting still happens all the time; not in the same numbers as they did in the 1970s, meaning usually not enough to affect margins in noncompetitive races but it absolutely could provide a different result in a competitive races.

Michigan is turning red thanks to the declining Detroit metropolitan area and the overall slow growth of the state.
It isn't turning red, it's turning purple. The decline in metro Detroit is being partially offset by growth of other smaller metro areas like Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor which are becoming bluer each year. Michigan flipped in 2016 (and 2010) because voters in metro Detroit stayed home/switched sides, not because they moved out of state.

When will Democrats realize that the Midwest is increasingly becoming less competitive?
lmao this reads like a troll post. It's becoming MORE competitive, not less. And that's even after considering that Democrats annihilated in this region in 2018.

Anyways this will be one of the more competitive incumbent-D races but Peters still has a >90% chance of winning.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 03:40:36 PM »

Yes. He's got the upper hand but definitely not unbeatable in a Trump victory comparable to Obama's victory in 2012.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 03:49:14 PM »

I think it is a Tossup that comes down to national environment. The result will be within a point of the presidential race, the Midwest is quickly becoming polarized (with the exception of Gov races, which are not polarized)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 05:42:29 PM »

I feel pretty confident that, as a non-controversial incumbent, he's not going to run behind the Democratic presidential candidate.

But at the same time, I don't see any reason why it should be assumed that Peters would run more than a couple points ahead of the national ticket.

This, pretty much. It's hard to see any D nominee/John James voters. But I don't see there being many Trump/Peters voters either. I think he could survive a razor thin Trump win, but probably not much more than that.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 06:11:22 PM »

Even if Hillary was Prez, Shaheen, Warner and Peters werent losing
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »

He's definitely vulnerable, but it's fair to say that he's favored. I think he'd survive if Trump won Michigan by 2% or less (and of course, he'll survive if Trump loses Michigan.)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »

As long as Peters takes the race seriously at the most minimum possible level, he should be fine.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 10:13:43 PM »

LOL he is not vulnerable. Jones will be the only Democratic senator to lose reelection in 2020.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 10:18:51 PM »

LOL he is not vulnerable. Jones will be the only Democratic senator to lose reelection in 2020.

Yeah, he’s running for reelection in an Obama +9 state and won his last race in a landslide (Sens. Ayotte and Nelson can attest to the importance of that). He won’t even be remotely vulnerable if Trump wins reelection or anything.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »

Only loses if Trump carries Michigan by more than 2.

But Trump won't carry Michigan.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 07:26:29 AM »

He's absolutely vulnerable but I don't see him losing, as I don't think Trump carries Michigan in 2020. Peters will likely only lose if Trump wins the state.
nealkp1212
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2019, 09:37:22 PM »

Gary Peters is vulnerable if Justin Amash is the Republican nominee.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies