Why AR, WV, TN, etc. swung Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:54:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why AR, WV, TN, etc. swung Republican
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why AR, WV, TN, etc. swung Republican  (Read 19844 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »

I see WV, TN, AR swinging back to the Democrats down the road.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 04:25:42 PM »

I imagine McCain was more appealing than Bush to the Scotch-Irish populist vote.

Then why were so many of these Scotch-Irish populists still willing to vote for John Forbes Kerry in 04, but not willing to vote for Obama even while the rest of the country moved several points Democratic?

purple hearts > blue blood.

If you recall from the 04 campaign, many conservative voters--even registered Democrats--considered Forbes a rich playboy and doubted his claims of military heroism.

How does Obama come across as a "blue blood"? Huh I understand the "eastern liberal elite" argument, but that was every bit as applicable (and applied by Republicans) to Kerry.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »

Because Obama is black.

/thread.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 05:58:51 PM »

Culture too.

If he had a more "American" sounding name, I'm sure that's worth more votes.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 06:08:08 PM »

West Virginia remains mostly Democratic, except of presidential elections. Perhaps a Democratic candidate with some appeal to Appalachia would carry it easily.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 06:21:11 PM »

West Virginia remains mostly Democratic, except of presidential elections. Perhaps a Democratic candidate with some appeal to Appalachia would carry it easily.

Well the ultimate test would be an election featuring Harold Ford.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »

I imagine McCain was more appealing than Bush to the Scotch-Irish populist vote.

Then why were so many of these Scotch-Irish populists still willing to vote for John Forbes Kerry in 04, but not willing to vote for Obama even while the rest of the country moved several points Democratic?

purple hearts > blue blood.

If you recall from the 04 campaign, many conservative voters--even registered Democrats--considered Forbes a rich playboy and doubted his claims of military heroism.

How does Obama come across as a "blue blood"? Huh I understand the "eastern liberal elite" argument, but that was every bit as applicable (and applied by Republicans) to Kerry.

'blue blood' was really meant for Bush. there was a cultural distaste for Kerry's 'eastern liberal elite' too but it was in part mitigated by his military service for many traditionally Democrat voters. really though I'm making more of a distinction between McCain and Bush for people who had been voting Democratic for a long time but admired McCain's military service and saw his style as Jacksonian / conservative Democrat.  I don't know that it was a huge factor, but I think there's something to it.
It's interesting to note that on a statewide level, of those states with a Republican swing, only AR had a larger swing in 2008 then in 2004.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »

If Harold Ford does any more carpetbagging a certain rug shop I know won't be forced to go out of business every two months.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 03:02:41 PM »

The ultimate test would be an election featuring a man with a strange muslim-sounding name and tmth's face.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 02:50:03 PM »

Six years later and it's brought up from the dead? Surprise

But seriously after the results from 2012 and 2016 it does seem that AR and TN were really just waiting on a long term R trend. I mean both states have sizable Black populations, but there looks like a lot of poor White Democrats became increasingly dissatisfied and it prevented a swing towards Obama that could've happened in 2008 or 2012 (to a much lesser extent however) and it accelerated in 2016.

West Virginia is the most clear.

Ironically, even Arkansas swung against Hillary. Tongue
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 03:47:12 PM »

But seriously after the results from 2012 and 2016 it does seem that AR and TN were really just waiting on a long term R trend. I mean both states have sizable Black populations, but there looks like a lot of poor White Democrats became increasingly dissatisfied and it prevented a swing towards Obama that could've happened in 2008 or 2012 (to a much lesser extent however) and it accelerated in 2016.

The current political system will climax when AR, TN, KY, WV, etc. have a similar percentage of Whites voting GOP as MS, AL, LA, etc.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »

The current political system will climax when AR, TN, KY, WV, etc. have a similar percentage of Whites voting GOP as MS, AL, LA, etc.

#analysis
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »

Eight years ago, I would have said, it was because of Obama being black.
Now I know it was because of Obama being from Chicago.
I guess Clinton was still perceived back then as a Southerner from a rural state; that's why she was liked in Appalachia or at least considered the lesser evil.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »

If that happened it would be back to the Solid South (80–90% for Republicans) just flipped this time.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 04:20:15 AM »

Very good question, and your necro-post actually sheds light and , while also exposing the extremely weak posts on Atlas, as well as the Main Stream medias interpretations of both the '08 Dem Primary, as well as the '08 GE.

Reality is that this is a part of the country where the tradition of Military Service runs deep in the family blood...

As others have noted, it's also a place where Whites vote much more Democratic than in the rest of the former states of the White Supremacist South.

Considering how the older racist folks that grew up in an era where Jim Crow was the law of the land are now dropping off like flies.... I'm still not convinced that the whole argument about "Racist White voters that so many on Atlas were flogging back at the time of the OP makes any sense...

My thought is rather that Obama running as an "Anti War" Democratic didn't play well in these States, considering that they had been shifting heavily Republican since '00, and especially after 9-11.

After all Tennessee almost elected their first Black Senator since Reconstruction not that many years ago, WV obviously still has a Democratic Senator, and after all split from the State of Virginia because of the whole slavery/succession gig during the Civil War....

What do all of these States have in common?

A significant population of aging military vets/families, that have been gradually been shifting "Right" on Social Policy, at the same time that the Democrats have been shifting "Right" on Economic Policy....

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2021, 02:06:21 AM »

This comment certainly has aged poorly, though no one could have foreseen Trump's candidacies at the time it was made.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2021, 10:50:59 PM »

Partly because of racism, Partly because of trends.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2021, 09:08:20 AM »

In AR and TN it was inevitable that they would turn blue, though KY, and especially WV were salvagable if the Democrats ran under the right platform (i.e. socially moderate, if not conservative, fiscally left, pro-union and pro-coal).
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2021, 07:16:29 PM »

In AR and TN it was inevitable that they would turn blue, though KY, and especially WV were salvagable if the Democrats ran under the right platform (i.e. socially moderate, if not conservative, fiscally left, pro-union and pro-coal).

Coal is a dying industry. Solar power will generate more power than coal ever did in these states from here on. These states are poor in formal education, which serves demagogues of any kind. As Democrats become more conservative on legal precedent, diplomatic protocol, due process, and even law and order they spiral away from these states.

Obama seems to be the wave of the future in style and substance for Democrats, and that bodes badly for Democrats in the Mountain and Deep South.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2021, 10:11:55 PM »

This comment certainly has aged poorly, though no one could have foreseen Trump's candidacies at the time it was made.
I agree, though it is possible that some of the more suburban and highly educated counties in West Virginia, Arkansas, and Tennessee may trend Democratic to a point in the later 2020s assuming that Donald Trump doesn’t get back into power and turn the US into a true fascist country.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies