What happend to Jerry Kilgore?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:25:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What happend to Jerry Kilgore?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What happend to Jerry Kilgore?  (Read 4219 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2005, 10:03:59 AM »

Once again, you should learn to read carefully.

Kaine both supports using taxpayer money to support illegal immigration and is opposed to state law enforcement taking action in coordination with the feds to expell illegal immigrants.

RJ
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2005, 12:37:31 AM »

However, I do state that the liberal media deliberately chose to stop carrying information about illegal aliens in Virgina during the last few weeks of the campaign because they were well aware that it was an explosive issue which would harm Kaine's chances.

I have serious doubts as to the validity of this claim. First question I would have is what Kilgore's position on this issue would be. I would also have to point out the fact that there is internal dissent among the Republican party as to illegal immigration.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2005, 10:59:38 AM »

However, I do state that the liberal media deliberately chose to stop carrying information about illegal aliens in Virgina during the last few weeks of the campaign because they were well aware that it was an explosive issue which would harm Kaine's chances.

I have serious doubts as to the validity of this claim. First question I would have is what Kilgore's position on this issue would be. I would also have to point out the fact that there is internal dissent among the Republican party as to illegal immigration.

Well, lets break that down into its component parts.

First, I have posted several articles about criminal activity by illegal immigrants in Virginia.  Interestingly, reporting of such crimes or even the existence of illegal aliens by the press in Virginia-DC stopped several weeks before the election.  Why? 

Second, Kilgore was very clear on his position on illegal immigration.  He favored having state law enforcement cooperate with the feds in enforcing immigration laws.

Third, yes there is considerable disagreement about illegal immigration among Republicans (from what I can see).  It seems to me that the overwhelming rank and file Republicans (as is the case with most Americans) favors stopping illegal immigration.  Wealthy Republicans such as McCain and Bush simply favor legalizing illegal immigrants, and oppose enforcing existing laws on immigration.
RJ
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2005, 11:51:08 PM »

I would have to see the frequency of not only these stories by the media, but the frequency of the crimes in question before, during, and after the campaign. I'd also like to investigate if there is a similar issue the media chose to "supress" which could have been helpful to Kaine. This is just a starting point; there are several points which I'd have to touch on before I bought into the media being biased in this or any other situation. I'm just not sold on this consperiacy theory. I've seen several media outlets bash the Democratic party as well as the Republicans.

This does bring up a point, however. Perhaps this could have something to do with why Kilgore didn't have Bush campaign on his behalf until after it was too late. Perhaps their differences on this issue had something to do with that rather than Bush's low approval ratings?
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2005, 04:32:30 PM »

Ive been searching around the blogs today and theres no clear explanation why/how Kilgore lost.

Here is an excerpt from one conservative blogger in VA:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is basically correct.

Kilgore actively insulted two major groups of his base while Kaine courted one of them.  Kilgore refused to take the Taxpayer protection pledge.  I guess he thought they had nowhere to go.  The taxpayer's view of the election is summed up in this NTU blog post

Then Kilgore called VCDL not credible on 2nd amendment issues while Kaine tried to make up for his past by url=http://www.vcdl.org/surveys/SurveyResults_2005_Statewide.html]answering their questions[/url].  This was the final blow to Kilgore.  With two most active parts of his base in open revolt, he didn't have a chance.  His poll numbers quickly sank after that.

There is no other way to explain how Bolling and McDonnell did so much better in their races than Kilgore.  Yes Bolling was running against someone who makes Hillary look conservative, but McDonnell wasn't.  In fact Creigh Deeds is probably slightly to the right of McDonnell, but
this didn't matter as McDonnell campaigned as a hard-core conservative.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies