Survivor megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:00:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Survivor megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Survivor megathread  (Read 15733 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: February 19, 2019, 08:53:15 PM »

Actually, 'Survivor' is a guilty pleasure of mine still. I'm looking forward to the new season but I don't really understand this season's gimmick. Honestly, a lot of their gimmicks, especially the ones where they arbitrarily classify people, seem to be falling short of engrossing me lately.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 07:53:55 PM »

I finally saw the premiere, and while I'm still not sure about the gimmick this season (mostly because they seem to be building up suspense for it), this cast looks interesting, even beyond the returning players. When the cast looks fun to watch or have interesting or unique personalities with 'Survivor' I can typically look past any other flaws with a season or its setup. We'll see where it goes from here, but I am more intrigued by this premiere episode more than any other in recent years.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »

Given that they are filming in Fiji and having to make new twists (since they can't differentiate seasons on location anymore), do y'all think a Republicans vs. Democrats season could work?

That sounds like a really bad idea in our current political environment.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 07:45:31 PM »

VERY late to the party, but I'm a major Survivor fan. I even have 36 buffs. This season sucks, though.

I don't mind it so far but I will say that I am not digging the edge of extinction gimmick. It's basically just redemption island 2.0. I mean, is this season not going to feature anyone leaving unless it's voluntary? How is that going to work?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 06:59:37 PM »

Awful and horrible season, we all know why. Let's all pretend it never happened and move on to season 40.

On the contrary, I think it was an extremely entertaining season even in spite of its gimmick not really amounting to much, but the elephant in the room that you are referring does indeed ruin it quite a bit.

Next season looks promising though. I usually dislike when they rely on previous players to sell a season, but for the show's 40th season consisting entirely of previous winners, it makes sense here. I'm looking forward to it.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 07:08:53 PM »

Several factors making recent seasons worse:
  • The firemaking at final 4 challenge is awful. It makes Survivor a totally different game at the very end. It single-handedly ruined H/H/H since they didn't even tell the contestants about it until right beforehand. I would been fine with Ben getting himself into the final 3 and then winning, but firemaking surprise makes him the second worst winner of alltime IMO. Even in the later seasons where the contestants knew ahead of time, it's silly -- does anyone actually like it?
  • Chris getting voted off on day 8, coming back into the game on day 36 and then winning on day 39 was also a joke. And he did play well in his 3 days back in the game, but it probably didn't mean much - he spent weeks hanging out with the jury on the Edge of Extinction, so of course they were inclined to vote for him. I can't believe they're actually bringing this back for Winners at War.
  • Honestly I wouldn't mind this if it were pre-merge only. The Outcasts twist in Pearl Islands was great. Had Lil won season 7, or Rick Devens won in season 38, I would have been fine with it since they was only out for a few days. But no one should be able to step back in at the very end at be able to win. Season 23 would probably be the worst of all-time had Ozzy not gotten upset in the final immunity challenge and therefore won after getting voted out twice. (Thank God they didn't have the firemaking f4 back then or he probably would've anyway!)
  • Way, way too many immunity idols these days. I didn't mind having one hidden at Exile Island, and I have thought the ones hidden at challenges to be kinda clever, but it just gets kinda ridiculous when they rehide a new one every time one is played. It's way too luck-based to just happen to find one. Russell finding 2 without any clues back in season 19 should have clued in the producers to this, but I think they learned the opposite lesson.
  • And idols should be the extent of it. No more "steal a vote," "block an idol," "extra votes," etc. If you don't want to get voted off, convince people not to vote you off. I don't like all these lucky random elements getting thrown into it.

I agree with all of that, especially the fire-making part. I remember when that was introduced, it seemed like a way to give Ben a lifeline in that season and help him win, because he was going to be voted out otherwise. It really upended the game in a big way that didn't seem fair as a surprise.

I also wish they would just go back to having a final two, they still do that sometimes, but the third person in the finale so rarely ever even gets votes, that I don't see the purpose of keeping it most of the time.

That also goes for a lot of the arbitrary classifications of the contestants as we've seen in some recent seasons. They just get tribe-swapped after nine or so days anyway, so what's the point? To make some sort of statement as to what kind of demographic is superior?

I would love to see a season that gets rid of all the gimmicks and returns to its basic roots. Hell that could even be the gimmick: 'Survivor: Back to Basics!' No hidden immunity idols!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 07:10:49 PM »

This is the most excited I have been for a 'Survivor' premiere in quite some time.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 07:34:48 PM »

This is the most excited I have been for a 'Survivor' premiere in quite some time.

Same, I hope this season is good

I have to admit I haven't watch survivor since Game Changers 3 years ago. I need to catch up on the seasons since 2014. I didn't like San Juan Del Sur, Cambodia, Kaoh Rong, Millenials vs Gen X, HHH, Ghost Island, and David vs Goliath. Not interested in watching EOE and Island of the Idols especially because of the Dan Incident. 

Island of the Idols could have been a great season if it wasn't for the Dan controversy absolutely ruining it.

The other seasons you mentioned I haven't disliked, but they never really stuck with me like some earlier seasons did. I can barely even remember most of the winners. I can't blame you for disliking them or not wanting to watch them.

I agree though, hopefully this season will live up to the hype!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 07:42:14 PM »

Same, I hope this season is good

I have to admit I haven't watch survivor since Game Changers 3 years ago. I need to catch up on the seasons since 2014. I didn't like San Juan Del Sur, Cambodia, Kaoh Rong, Millenials vs Gen X, HHH, Ghost Island, and David vs Goliath. Not interested in watching EOE and Island of the Idols especially because of the Dan Incident. 

Island of the Idols could have been a great season if it wasn't for the Dan controversy absolutely ruining it.

The other seasons you mentioned I haven't disliked, but they never really stuck with me like some earlier seasons did. I can barely even remember most of the winners. I can't blame you for disliking them or not wanting to watch them.

I agree though, hopefully this season will live up to the hype!

haha, I meant to put watch instead of like for the seasons I need to catch up on. oops

Hehe oh! Well either way, you're still not wrong.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »

Hoo boy! Rob is going to be on a warpath after Amber got voted out! Their marriage was always going to be one of the most interesting aspects of this cast all interacting, but it's already paying off!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 05:24:01 PM »

It looks like someone's coming for the Queen's Title!

If it makes Sandra feel better though she probably had the most insane boot yet. I don't know if it will be topped.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 05:57:20 PM »

Those songs that have playing during the episodes lately are really weirding me out. They're probably the worst thing about this season so far.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 06:14:39 PM »

Let me just say that my fantasy team is dominating my friends' teams right now since Tyson came back from the Edge.  I went from tied for first before the merge to 9 points up now!

Fantasy Survivor? Now I've seen everything!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 06:07:23 PM »

Adam was playing way too aggressive again and he paid the price for it. He should of kept his mouth shut...  Lmao thinking the Fleur-de-lis attached to Jeff’s podium was a HII.

I think that we may very well see hidden immunity idols/other advantages at Tribal Councils in future seasons now though.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 05:40:07 PM »

Last night was the Tony show, but I agree with MasterJedi - I could easily see everyone else teaming up next week and taking him out (though they'll have to be careful since he has an idol).

Right now it is a game of duos:
Ben and Sarah (yuck)
Kim and Denise (my two favorites left)
Nick and Tony (morons)
Jeremy and Michelle (I like them, but don't think either have played a great game)

Hopefully they take out Tony next vote, then Kim and Denise team back up with Jeremy and Michelle to knock out Nick, Tony, Ben and Sarah. Still have the EoE wildcard to consider as well.

Parvati said at the beginning of the season that "we'd like who is in the finale." Maybe she was just throwing a curveball, but I can't imagine a scenario where Sarah or Nick make it as both are pretty universally unpopular. Arguably the same with Ben, though he has some fans.

I actually see Michelle as a dark horse for being among the final three, if not the winner.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »

Kim dropping out of the challenge may just go down as the biggest mistake made by a contestant this season.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 06:58:34 PM »

Why in the world did Nick/Jeremy/Michele not get rid of Tony when they had a chance? They're all thinking about who can they beat in the final 3, but why doesn't occur to them that Tony is going to be really hard to beat at the end?

Also, I'll change my prediction to Natalie getting back in next week, but if she actually wins a jury vote, that would probably go down as The Day Survivor Died.

Final thought: If Nick doesn't spend all of his fire tokens, he may still be in the game, since Ben was close to winning immunity, and Michele is presumably the target instead.

I would love a Michelle, Natalie, Tony final three just because they're all from New Jersey.

I think Natalie may come back as well and I wouldn't necessarily mind if she won, she has affected the game from Edge of Extinction after all. But really I'll be happy if anyone aside from Ben and Sarah win. They have been thoroughly unlikable this season. Tony is definitely the front-runner though, and everyone was stupid for letting him have so much power. Don't forget that he still has an immuntiy idol too. Meanwhile Michelle would be the most satisfying person to win. I barely remembered her from her own season, but this time I have been actively rooting for her and always been under the impression that she would make it far.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 06:22:23 PM »

I'm very pleased that I got my all New Jersey final three! I was also correct with predicting that Michelle would make it to the final three. I was very satisfied with this final three and would have been happy if any of them won.

And in defense of Natalie, I think she had much more of a claim to be the winner than Chris did from two seasons back. She actually contributed to the game fairly significantly and played her ass off when she got back in, absolutely throwing the Tony-Sarah-Denise-Ben alliance for a loop. I think Michelle also had a case for winning in managing to survive as a constant underdog and exceed expectations. The problem for both of them was that they were up against Tony. This game was always Tony's to lose if he made it to the final three, and low and behold, he did. He certainly deserved it the most in playing a near-perfect game and is truly the show's king. Sandra still gets to be "The Queen" though, so she's probably happy about that. She hasn't been completely usurped even as Tony is probably the truer paragon of how to play the best.

I do think that either Michelle or Natalie could have beaten Sarah...I mean, Lacina, though if she made it to the final three. No matter how many emotional speeches or helping to fulfill Ben's wish of being voted out (my mind is still boggled by that) she still probably would have been perceived mainly as being Tony's puppet and can't even take credit for the many blindsides he pulled off since she wasn't always on-board with them. Though this finale did make me soften my opinions of Ben and Lacina, who prior to it kind of irritated me in how they played and behaved.

Though I also must say that I still wish the whole final three would be nixed in favor of returning to a final two. Like clockwork, there is always a third player who doesn't get any votes, and it just feels pointless. I also am in favor of Edge of Extinction going extinct too. I didn't mind it this season since it allowed us to keep seeing some of our favorite contestants, but it really is kind of an unfair concept. That also goes with the fire-making challenge. I never liked it, ever since it originated in Ben's season. Fire tokens added an interesting new dynamic though, I'm curious how they could factor in a future season without Extinction Island.

Overall though, this was the best season in awhile, but I don't think it was the best ever as it sought to be. That title still goes to Heroes vs. Villains to me. Maybe it's because a lot of the players we know and love the best all got voted out early in season 40 and left us with somewhat less interesting, albeit fresher, faces.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 04:49:45 PM »

Chris
  • Survived two tribal councils before being sent to the Edge, voting for the eliminated contestant both times
  • Returned to the game at final 6
  • Survived the F6 council without winning immunity or playing an idol, because he convinced Lauren to play an idol for him. Voted for the eliminated contestant (Victoria).
  • Survived the F5 council by playing his idol. Voted for the eliminated contestant (Lauren).
  • Won the F4 immunity and gave it up to make fire against the obvious winner in any F3 matchup
  • Made good relationships with the jury throughout his time on the Edge

Natalie
  • Survived 0 tribal councils before being voted off first
  • Returned to the game at final 6
  • Had to use her own idol to survive F6, but her plan to vote out Ben failed
  • Only survived at F5 because she happened to luckily find another immunity idol. This time she did vote for the eliminated contestant (Ben), although she really had nothing to do with Sarah's decision.
  • Apparently did not make many good relationships with the jury throughout her time on the Edge
  • Won the F4 immunity, but choosing Tony vs. Sarah was a terrible decision. She could have faced Tony herself and if she'd won, she would have gotten something on her resume. Or, even better, matchup Tony and Michelle, and if Tony wins, Sarah might siphon some votes from Tony, and Michelle may vote for her, at least a lot more likely to vote for her than Sarah was.
  • Sent Tony's two closest allies to the jury where they'd be sure to vote for him without them being mad at Tony

So while there's no doubt that Chris is the worst winner of all time by default, he at least has some impressive big moves on his resume. Natalie's game is nowhere close to that, and her winning would have been a franchise-killing disgrace.

Fair points, I guess I was just more endeared towards Natalie as opposed to Chris due to the editing. She had a very compelling story-line that was presented to us and she seemed to be more relevant throughout the game than Chris was, the edit couldn't even make Chris seem like a winner. I think considering the edit is important when discussing a reality television show. It's how I got the inkling that Michelle would make it far.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2020, 06:49:41 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2020, 08:15:11 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Compiled list of guesses based mostly from Twitter. Pretty close to your list, Harry!

I didn't think it was possible to make Michele more attractive.

Also Nick being a public defender makes me think that he might not be as right wing as we think just because he's from Kentucky. I can't say for sure though, I'm just speculating as you are with some of these contestants.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 06:22:04 PM »

Nick is a Trump supporter. He has admitted so on twitter. Also he was in the RHAP patreon facebook group before he was on Survivor where he was known for posting MRA content. That's why that chart said 'LOL do you need to ask', all of the hardcore Survivor fans know that he's a Republican.

Tony is a registered Democrat and has made anti-Trump comments on twitter in the past, so I think we can safely say he is not conservative.

The rest of the chart is mostly accurate, although more of them are registered independents than you'd think. From when I last checked, these are each of their party registrations:

Republicans: Nick, Danni, Sarah
Independent: Rob, Amber, Kim, Michele, Natalie
Democrat: Adam, Denise, Ethan, Jeremy, Sandra, Sophie, Tony, Wendell, Yul
Not registered/I couldn't find them: Tyson, Ben, Parvati

Okay then. I don't really keep up with the contestants' Twitter accounts. And even as some of them may be registered Independents, they may still have left or right sympathies which I think tmthforu's chart still reflects pretty accurately.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 06:20:15 PM »

Thinking about who was left out of season 40 and why is pretty intriguing. Though overall I wasn't too surprised by who they ended up picking. I think only Aras, JT, and Tina were the biggest winners to not be included, for whatever reason, since they have played before and might linger better in the memories of the show's fans; as well as Cochran who is a fairly notable recent winner. Everyone else I can understand being left out either due to not being popular enough like Natalie White, too controversial like Richard Hatch (let's also not forget that he was arrested for tax evasion awhile back too. Also I never heard about Biran killing a puppy before, that's f***ed up!), or too old like Bob or Tom.

The cast we ended up with was pretty satisfactory to me, though perhaps Danni could have swapped out for someone else. Of everyone who played this season, she seemed to add the least to the game. Hell, I actually forgot who she was; she was the only former winner I had to look up after watching the premiere episode.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 06:34:51 PM »

Here would be my casting for some often-discussed themes for future returnee seasons, keeping in mind that production would favor some more recent people for some of these (don't personally agree with every characterization)

Winners vs. Final 3 losers

Winners not on WAW
  • Vecepia, Todd, Natalie W., Mike, Chris U., Tommy

People they beat
  • Neleh, Amanda, Russell, Carolyn, Gavin, Noura

WAW Contestants who also won another game or lost in the F3
  • Tony, Michelle, Sandra, Parvati

People they beat
  • Woo, Aubry, Jonny Fairplay, Cirie

This is similar to a "legends"-type cast, and you have extra layers, since in addition to all of the pairs, Tony also beat Michelle, Sandra also beat Parvati and Russell, and Parvati also beat Amanda.

Possible alternates could include Tina/Colby and Aras/Terry.

That's not a bad idea, but even a season that just consists of runners-up probably could be entertaining too. We won't be seeing Russell Hantz among those contestants though. To my knowledge that bridge was burned since his psycho nephew made his appearances on the show.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »

That's not a bad idea, but even a season that just consists of runners-up probably could be entertaining too. We won't be seeing Russell Hantz among those contestants though. To my knowledge that bridge was burned since his psycho nephew made his appearances on the show.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd love to see him play one more time. I think he's an obvious early boot though.

Another idea would be a combo of Fans vs. Favorites and Blood vs. Water
  • The Culpeppers
  • Laura & Ciera (though she better not vote off her mom this time)
  • Russell & Brandon (if allowed back)
  • Any of the Survivor couples, such as Sebastian & Jenna from Ghost Island, or Jon & Jaclyn, or Alex (S6) and Kim (S3), etc.
  • 4-5 pairs of new contestants

I wouldn't mind seeing Rusell come back, but Brandon is up there with Colton and the Dan/Rodney/Will alliance as among the least likable contestants ever.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 06:27:58 PM »

Here would be my casting for some often-discussed themes for future returnee seasons, keeping in mind that production would favor some more recent people for some of these (don't personally agree with every characterization)

Winners vs. Final 3 losers

Winners not on WAW
  • Vecepia, Todd, Natalie W., Mike, Chris U., Tommy

People they beat
  • Neleh, Amanda, Russell, Carolyn, Gavin, Noura

WAW Contestants who also won another game or lost in the F3
  • Tony, Michelle, Sandra, Parvati

People they beat
  • Woo, Aubry, Jonny Fairplay, Cirie

This is similar to a "legends"-type cast, and you have extra layers, since in addition to all of the pairs, Tony also beat Michelle, Sandra also beat Parvati and Russell, and Parvati also beat Amanda.

Possible alternates could include Tina/Colby and Aras/Terry.

What's really funny to me is that if you watch South Pacific and Samoa only (Brandon and Russesll's first seasons) Brandon actually seems like a much better person than Russell in almost every way, but when you look at videos of them in real life on youtube and such, it's like totally the opposite. Russell's actually a really nice guy believe it or not, albeit bitter about his losses more than ten years on, while Brandon doesn't seem bitter, but is almost totally out there

I never really got that impression. I found him very off-putting when he sought to vote out Mikaela due to feeling "tempted" or whatever in the face of his newfound Born-Again Christian faith. And whatever creepiness and instability I got a hint of from that season came out in full-force in his next season, so much so that his own tribe voted him out at the show's only impromptu tribal council.

I always liked Russell better, even when he was at his most cutthroat.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies