Survivor megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:49:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Survivor megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Survivor megathread  (Read 15757 times)
Boobs
HCP
« on: February 19, 2019, 09:48:03 PM »

Actually, 'Survivor' is a guilty pleasure of mine still. I'm looking forward to the new season but I don't really understand this season's gimmick. Honestly, a lot of their gimmicks, especially the ones where they arbitrarily classify people, seem to be falling short of engrossing me lately.

Gimmicks are really what has made Survivor subpar. In my opinion, it's lost its charm – the survival aspect – that really defined the early seasons. My opinion has always been that there's no need for season gimmicks beyond like, men vs women or fans vs favorites, although Heroes vs Villains is great too.

I'd like to see the producers try to do a season like in the old days, less starting supplies, more difficult challenges, maybe an idol or exile island or something, really try to get that magic back. Doubt it'll happen though.

Also a personal qualm of mine is that they stopped recording a unique Ancient Voices for each season.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 09:19:07 PM »

Just rewatched Gabon. Extremely hilarious season - but the jury is possibly the bitterest, saltiest, most petulant one ever assembled. Really annoying to watch honestly, but fun to watch for the “reality” TV aspect. Plus the groveling of the final 3 that they weren’t that bad was extremely lame. Seriously, the jury was seething with jealously that they got voted out, don’t hate the players hate the game. Overall though I did like a lot of people from this season - Crystal, Kenny, Randy, Sugar, and Susie - and I think watching the original Kota 4 alliance get voted out so brilliantly was pure bliss. It would’ve been too obvious for them to have won so it’s nice to see them get Pagong’d in a sense.

I’d like to hear other people’s thoughts.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 08:25:02 AM »

Also IMO the seasons after Philippines or Cagayan or something are just totally unwatchable. No unique intro song? Plus is it just me or are the competitors getting edited into being more and more boring and unlikeable?
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 06:57:19 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2021, 07:04:01 PM by SRA. YASNA PROVOSTE »

Actually, 'Survivor' is a guilty pleasure of mine still. I'm looking forward to the new season but I don't really understand this season's gimmick. Honestly, a lot of their gimmicks, especially the ones where they arbitrarily classify people, seem to be falling short of engrossing me lately.

Gimmicks are really what has made Survivor subpar. In my opinion, it's lost its charm – the survival aspect – that really defined the early seasons. My opinion has always been that there's no need for season gimmicks beyond like, men vs women or fans vs favorites, although Heroes vs Villains is great too.

I'd like to see the producers try to do a season like in the old days, less starting supplies, more difficult challenges, maybe an idol or exile island or something, really try to get that magic back. Doubt it'll happen though.

Also a personal qualm of mine is that they stopped recording a unique Ancient Voices for each season.

I still agree with my take from two years ago.

Redemption Island (which is a terrible concept BTW) was the last season I watched live - the producers could've cut Boston Rob a check and not made the season and it would've had the same effect. I also have an extreme dislike of Russell and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I streamed the later seasons up to Game Changers a few years ago and they've had very impact on me. The series has become far too strategic and everything, all the competitors are too mean & athletic, etc... The "charm" is gone! One of the best thing about early Survivor is how campy it was.

Keeping it in Fiji is boring AF. And the gimmicks they try to use to make up for that just make it worse.

Anyway, here are my rankings of the seasons (up to HvV, because nothing after it remotely holds a candle. I'd watch Fiji or even, gasp, Thailand, over everything except like Philippines.)

Awesome: Pearl Islands, Vanuatu, Palau, FvF, HvV
Great: Africa, Amazon, Guatemala, Panama, China, Gabon
Good: Borneo, Marquesas, Cook Islands
Watchable: Australia, Tocantins
Prefer not to watch: Thailand, All Stars, Fiji, Samoa
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 08:16:43 PM »

I’ve been rewatching China. Wrapped up with Panama (12) before that.

Really good seasons. If anyone has thoughts then I’d be glad to hear them.

Mine:

Panama was kind of a boring season up until the final 6 or so, when Cirie really started to make actual strategic plays. Obviously the idol mechanics weren’t really finely tuned yet which was annoying. Aras was a rather boring winner (being the golden boy, yknow) but it was pretty impressive that the overall Casaya 6 held together as long as they did considering how dysfunctional the alliance was. I think Danielle was screwed either way at the final 3, love her accent! Terry was a good player and I respect him but obviously he was lacking in the social game if he failed to really crack that miserable alliance. Cirie’s the best, really, and she just is so likable here, so I’m thankful for this season for giving us her. Shane has to be one of the worst strategic players to make it that far; just constant stream of leaking information and annoying tribemates. This isn’t the greatest season but I think it’s really solid and completes the really great 4 season run Survivor had with Vanuatu-Palau-Guatemala-Panama.

China has one of my favorite casts overall. Just really a wealth of great, likable, personable, talented players.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 11:47:02 AM »

Blast from the past: Survivor: Palau castaway Jolanda Jones is running for the Texas State House of Representatives, and looks to be in a strong position to win the primary runoff (she got 41% in the primary, ahead of the second place finisher who got 20%) and likely win the general in this safe Democratic seat in Houston.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies