Survivor megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:23:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Survivor megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Author Topic: Survivor megathread  (Read 15090 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2021, 06:50:32 AM »

God quit it with the stupid complicated advantages.

I feel like the fanbase is almost unanimous on this, and almost every contestant on the EW interviews said the same thing.

Idols are fine, but stupid phrases and "haha you lose your vote until others say the phrase too!" just muddy the game and make it come down to luck.

Also -- pretty dumb to have a shot at Xander (holder of 2 advantages) and not take it. It would have also knocked out an idol on both of the other tribes. Tiffany needed to cool down. In hindsight, it was dumb of Voce and Xander to get rid of Abraham when they saw the 3 women working together. Xander could have used his extra vote to get rid of Tiffany 4-3 last week, who knows if they're back at tribal council this week or not, but either way, all 3 of the men are still in the game in week 3.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2021, 06:52:33 PM »

God quit it with the stupid complicated advantages.

I feel like the fanbase is almost unanimous on this, and almost every contestant on the EW interviews said the same thing.

Idols are fine, but stupid phrases and "haha you lose your vote until others say the phrase too!" just muddy the game and make it come down to luck.

Also -- pretty dumb to have a shot at Xander (holder of 2 advantages) and not take it. It would have also knocked out an idol on both of the other tribes. Tiffany needed to cool down. In hindsight, it was dumb of Voce and Xander to get rid of Abraham when they saw the 3 women working together. Xander could have used his extra vote to get rid of Tiffany 4-3 last week, who knows if they're back at tribal council this week or not, but either way, all 3 of the men are still in the game in week 3.

You know my stance on the gimmicks, as I call them. But even as the whole phrase thing is stupid, I actually like this twist on the hidden immunity idol. For too long they've been too easy to find where the difficulty and risk in finding them no long matters, now it actually requires more to be able to use one.

And I was surprised that Tiffany convinced them to go after Voce instead of Xander too. For a women's alliance it doesn't seem like the other two trust Evvie all that much when she was telling them the truth about Xander's idol and the situation it could have allowed them to exploit. Maybe they're taking it for granted that someone from the other two tribes still won't find the idol and that Xander still won't have a vote going forward. But clearly Xander is playing hard; in it to win, and they ought not to forget that.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2021, 08:35:35 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2021, 03:10:01 PM by Farmlands »

It was a fun ride, but I think I'm tuning out of US Survivor for now. It's already impossible to keep track of who has which advantages now, and it's only going to get worse with twist island every week. And I don't see the producers interested in taking it in any other direction. A shame, because the cast seems really solid.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2021, 11:23:36 PM »

It was a fun ride, but I think I'm tuning out of US Survivor for a while. It's already impossible to keep track of who has which advantages now, and it's only going to get worse with twist island every week. And I don't see the producers interested in taking it in any other direction. A shame, because the cast seems really solid.

If you haven't seen it, check out the most recent season of Survivor South Africa (Immunity Island). I just finished catching up on it, and I thought it was very good. There are some advantages, but not over the top with it, and the editing and gameplay are solid.

15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2021, 12:13:20 PM »

Now that we're a few weeks in (and the political stuff has quieted down), what are everyone's thoughts on this season?  Personally, I feel much less invested in it than usual.  Most of the interesting people seem to be getting voted out early, none of these twists seem to be panning out, and lots of contestants seem woefully under-developed.  Last night's blindside should have been epic, but it just feels like something is missing.

Hopefully 42 will be better.  Prior to covid, I felt like the show was hitting its stride again (37, 38, and 40 were all really good- except for the ending to 38), but I feel like covid killed the momentum it had built.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2021, 05:45:14 PM »

Now that we're a few weeks in (and the political stuff has quieted down), what are everyone's thoughts on this season?  Personally, I feel much less invested in it than usual.  Most of the interesting people seem to be getting voted out early, none of these twists seem to be panning out, and lots of contestants seem woefully under-developed.  Last night's blindside should have been epic, but it just feels like something is missing.

Hopefully 42 will be better.  Prior to covid, I felt like the show was hitting its stride again (37, 38, and 40 were all really good- except for the ending to 38), but I feel like covid killed the momentum it had built.

It was a little tedious overall with all the advantages and how much attention was being brought to them as opposed to the castaways themselves, but this week's episode may have won me back. It had a lot going on that wasn't just about who has which advantage and how they want to use it and even gave attention to some on the blue tribe who haven't had much exposure so far. I hope this season can stay that way going forward.
Boobs
HCP

« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2021, 08:16:43 PM »

I’ve been rewatching China. Wrapped up with Panama (12) before that.

Really good seasons. If anyone has thoughts then I’d be glad to hear them.

Mine:

Panama was kind of a boring season up until the final 6 or so, when Cirie really started to make actual strategic plays. Obviously the idol mechanics weren’t really finely tuned yet which was annoying. Aras was a rather boring winner (being the golden boy, yknow) but it was pretty impressive that the overall Casaya 6 held together as long as they did considering how dysfunctional the alliance was. I think Danielle was screwed either way at the final 3, love her accent! Terry was a good player and I respect him but obviously he was lacking in the social game if he failed to really crack that miserable alliance. Cirie’s the best, really, and she just is so likable here, so I’m thankful for this season for giving us her. Shane has to be one of the worst strategic players to make it that far; just constant stream of leaking information and annoying tribemates. This isn’t the greatest season but I think it’s really solid and completes the really great 4 season run Survivor had with Vanuatu-Palau-Guatemala-Panama.

China has one of my favorite casts overall. Just really a wealth of great, likable, personable, talented players.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2021, 11:15:36 PM »

Just watched this week’s episode with some friends. Best episode of the season so far. Two challenges, seeing stuff from every tribe, and no visits to Game Theory Island.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #233 on: October 15, 2021, 06:55:50 PM »

I’ve been rewatching China. Wrapped up with Panama (12) before that.

Really good seasons. If anyone has thoughts then I’d be glad to hear them.

Mine:

Panama was kind of a boring season up until the final 6 or so, when Cirie really started to make actual strategic plays. Obviously the idol mechanics weren’t really finely tuned yet which was annoying. Aras was a rather boring winner (being the golden boy, yknow) but it was pretty impressive that the overall Casaya 6 held together as long as they did considering how dysfunctional the alliance was. I think Danielle was screwed either way at the final 3, love her accent! Terry was a good player and I respect him but obviously he was lacking in the social game if he failed to really crack that miserable alliance. Cirie’s the best, really, and she just is so likable here, so I’m thankful for this season for giving us her. Shane has to be one of the worst strategic players to make it that far; just constant stream of leaking information and annoying tribemates. This isn’t the greatest season but I think it’s really solid and completes the really great 4 season run Survivor had with Vanuatu-Palau-Guatemala-Panama.

China has one of my favorite casts overall. Just really a wealth of great, likable, personable, talented players.

I re-watched both seasons recently too.

I loved 'Panama' all the way through. It had a lot of memorable moments: Bruce and Bobby getting drunk in the outhouse, Terry's challenge domination and rivalry with Aras, one of the most dysfunctional successful alliances thanks to Courtney and especially Shane's unpredictability; and the most respectful, cooperative tribal council ever just to name a few. It's a travesty that Shane has never been brought back in any subsequent season.

My only real gripe with the season was that it was one of those that featured the hidden immunity idol that could be played after the votes were read which was always way too powerful! Just owning the idol was enough to keep the owner of it safe until the final five, they didn't even need to use it-the threat was enough and both times (well, three times if you count that type of idol being brought back for 'Cagayan') that's exactly what happened. It was a good decision for them to change how it worked.

As for 'China,' I agree with you that it's one of the best seasons with one of the best casts. Lots of memorable moments in that one too. But I also have a singular gripe: the location. The nasty muddy, rainy, and swampy geography where they filmed was probably the single worst location for a season of the show since season 3: 'Africa.' It seemed like it made the castaways lives more miserable than was necessary. And the production probably recognize that which is why every season since has typically been in a tropical locale.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #234 on: October 22, 2021, 10:43:56 AM »

Good episode, although again too much time spent on advantages and I really dislike the advantage given out this episode (too overpowered on a season like this). Great moments from Tiffany and Ricard in particular, loving Shan and Ricard’s dynamic.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #235 on: October 29, 2021, 02:17:41 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2021, 05:23:42 PM by SR JSOE ANTONIO KAST? »

God, did anyone else hate the twist they just pulled on this week’s episode? And for what? Not going to tribal council? It’s not even a good cliffhanger. Awful imo. At least the cast is fun (I really like everyone left from Ua and Yase, as well as GOAT on Astroturf Naseer).
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #236 on: November 04, 2021, 01:20:16 AM »

God, did anyone else hate the twist they just pulled on this week’s episode? And for what? Not going to tribal council? It’s not even a good cliffhanger. Awful imo. At least the cast is fun (I really like everyone left from Ua and Yase, as well as GOAT on Astroturf Naseer).

This episode almost made up for the last one. What a great move (and it saved one of my favorites!).
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2021, 08:22:24 PM »

Shan is a raging B.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2021, 11:15:08 AM »

Aaaand she’s gone, in a great move by Ricard, Deshawn and Danny, and the minority alliance. What a great episode.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2021, 02:53:53 PM »

Catching up -- is there any reason in the world Erika would not have smashed the hourglass? "You don't have immunity, but smash this hourglass and you'll get it!"

I had thought that the 6 people without immunity would be the only ones voting, in which case it might make sense to leave it unsmashed if you felt like your alliance would come out ahead on the current 6 and wouldn't on the other 6. But since all 12 voted, why would you ever not choose to swap yourself into the immunity list?

I can't imagine much of anything that's not super contrived for any player in that situation in any season of the show not smashing it, given that choice.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #240 on: December 03, 2021, 12:59:40 AM »

Aaaand she’s gone, in a great move by Ricard, Deshawn and Danny, and the minority alliance. What a great episode.

I think announcing to everyone on her way out that she'll vote for Ricard if he makes it to the end isn't doing him any favors. Liana, for example, probably thought she would get Shan's vote over Ricard and might have been willing to go to the Final 3 with him.

Similarly, she may have helped Deshawn by both lowering his threat level among the people left in the game, and implying to Evvie, Naseer, and Tiffany that Deshawn was the ringleader of the move (which they all 3 liked) and making them more likely to vote for him if he makes it to the Final Tribal Council.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #241 on: December 04, 2021, 12:16:56 PM »

Caught up now. There's a bit of an uncomfortable irony of that tribal council ending with an alliance of the 4 non-black people voting out one of an alliance of 3 black people, but that's the game.

The Monty Hall Problem was a really dumb idea. Just let the game play out. Stop drawing inspiration from the dumbest parts of Australian Survivor!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2021, 10:08:08 AM »

Caught up now. There's a bit of an uncomfortable irony of that tribal council ending with an alliance of the 4 non-black people voting out one of an alliance of 3 black people, but that's the game.

The Monty Hall Problem was a really dumb idea. Just let the game play out. Stop drawing inspiration from the dumbest parts of Australian Survivor!

Not that uncomfortable though since they had the somewhat secret black alliance going on. If they didn’t do it they would have been picked off just the same. With Shan and Liana off I have a feeling that’s going to go away as the guys are pretty likable overall.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #243 on: December 12, 2021, 02:14:36 PM »

Any winner predictions heading into finale week?

I'm going out on a limb and predicting ... Erika (!) to win. A few weeks ago, I thought it was impossible, since she hasn't, but she has been running the game starting with Shan's departure.

Also, they included her saying that fans want a woman to win for the first time since season 34, which makes me think maybe a woman wins this season (and I just can't imagine it's going to be Heather). It's no guarantee - maybe they would include it to set up for a woman winning season 42 (which has already filmed), and maybe they would just include it for misdirection even if a man wins both 41 and 42. But I'm going with Erika as my official prediction nonetheless, as I think she beats anyone with the jury other than possibly Ricard.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2021, 02:34:43 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2021, 03:37:03 AM by Jamás tuve una amistad con usted. »

And Harry does it! Congratulations Erika on becoming the first woman winner in seven seasons and tying for most jury votes ever for a woman (also seven). A practically unanimous vote given that only Danny voted for Deshawn, capping off what was in retrospect a criminally underedited game - they couldn’t have taken some random confessionals off of JD and given them to her to explain her friendship with Heather?

Anyway RIP to my king Ricard, you were too good for the other four to let you continue and you didn’t get that final advantage, but congrats to Erika for a great victory and to the whole cast for a great season.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2021, 12:45:05 PM »

Xander should have taken her to fire and knocked her out.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2021, 05:18:56 PM »

Agreed. And he shouldn’t have told the camera she was a big threat and he wanted to keep the shine off her, then told the jury he didn’t think they saw her as a threat when he did take her.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #247 on: December 17, 2021, 12:52:52 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2021, 01:17:19 AM by 7,052,770 »

I'm going to disagree 100% and take it a step further and say that the person winning immunity shouldn't even be allowed to give up immunity and make fire themselves. Why? Because a move like that shouldn't be rewarded by the jury or become an "expectation" of a winning game.

A fire-making challenge is practically a coinflip unless one person just has no idea how to do it, and a good player avoids it instead of willingly puts themselves into it. I respect Tommy's approach to weasel his way out of firemaking (also Ryan in S35) way more than I respect Chris putting himself in danger, and although Natalie winning S40 would have been a cancel-the-show level disgrace, I do respect her for not putting herself in a coinflip danger there, and even if she'd taken Tony herself and beaten him, I wouldn't respect it because, like I said, it's a glorified coinflip.

(Obviously the real answer is to abolish the F4 firemaking, but Jeff Probst has no interest in that. If you get voted off at final 4, it was your fault for not managing your threat level, nor playing your social cards right, nor winning immunity. I don't feel bad for Wentworth or David at all.)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #248 on: December 17, 2021, 12:54:11 AM »

Also, I can't imagine what the final 3 went through to think the show was done and they were going home, and all of a sudden, Jeff's like, hey I'm reading the votes right now! Boom, Erika wins! And we're going straight to a reunion show!

Why not let them have a meal, shower, and sleep after reading the votes and do the "reunion" the next morning?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #249 on: December 17, 2021, 02:13:12 AM »

I'm going to disagree 100% and take it a step further and say that the person winning immunity shouldn't even be allowed to give up immunity and make fire themselves. Why? Because a move like that shouldn't be rewarded by the jury or become an "expectation" of a winning game.

A fire-making challenge is practically a coinflip unless one person just has no idea how to do it, and a good player avoids it instead of willingly puts themselves into it. I respect Tommy's approach to weasel his way out of firemaking (also Ryan in S35) way more than I respect Chris putting himself in danger, and although Natalie winning S40 would have been a cancel-the-show level disgrace, I do respect her for not putting herself in a coinflip danger there, and even if she'd taken Tony herself and beaten him, I wouldn't respect it because, like I said, it's a glorified coinflip.

(Obviously the real answer is to abolish the F4 firemaking, but Jeff Probst has no interest in that. If you get voted off at final 4, it was your fault for not managing your threat level, nor playing your social cards right, nor winning immunity. I don't feel bad for Wentworth or David at all.)

I don’t think it’s going to be an expectation going forward. The only person who did it and the only other person who was really pressured to do it had both come back from Edge of Extinction and had a lot to prove. And even if Natalie had taken out Tony I think Sarah would have beaten her in the end.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies