Survivor megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:42:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Survivor megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Author Topic: Survivor megathread  (Read 15784 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2020, 07:20:43 PM »

I agree and love the first season. I believe Greg has said that he was always going to vote for Richard and just did the "pick a number" thing a joke to mock the whole thing.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2020, 01:12:17 AM »

The current plan is to begin filming in early 2021.  If Fiji is not yet possible, they will film in the Dominican Republic, which is already open to Americans.  There has been some talk of filming three seasons this spring/summer so that they can air the first of those three in the late spring/summer and not mess up the schedule for the 2021-22 TV season.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2020, 02:02:37 PM »

The current plan is to begin filming in early 2021.  If Fiji is not yet possible, they will film in the Dominican Republic, which is already open to Americans.  There has been some talk of filming three seasons this spring/summer so that they can air the first of those three in the late spring/summer and not mess up the schedule for the 2021-22 TV season.

Would be nice to see them outside of Fiji again for a change.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2020, 08:05:16 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2020, 07:49:17 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

After watching the original season I was put in a real 'Survivor' mood, especially with the absence of a new season this fall. So that led to me wanting to re-watch some older seasons that are also on Amazon Prime. I just finished watching 'Micronesia: Fans vs. Favorites,' which is often considered one of the show's best seasons, and I always personally thought so too. But it was even more entertaining than I remember from all those years ago. The elimination of Erik is obviously the highlight and still might remain the dumbest move in the history of the show, but I forgot how much it overshadowed the women's alliance's other manipulations of Jason and Ozzy, the fake idol, Amanda and Ami showering topless, the multiple medical evacuations, the number of blindsides throughout the season, Amanda and Ozzy's showmance, and even Chet and Joel's "I don't care" exchange. It had such a great cast too overall, with nearly everybody being memorable, I don't know how I was able to forget the likes of some of them from back when it originally aired. I also enjoyed how it used to be when there would only be one hidden immunity idol at a time, and one that required actual work to find in an isolated location. That's how I wish it remained.

The only real downside of the season was the presence of the "rites of passage" in the finale. That's one thing nixed from the old days that I am fine with in later seasons. I get why it's there but it takes up so much time and feels so phony. The reunion is always enough to me, and this was also back when Jeff (who has astoundingly barely aged from season one to this season to now-I envy him!) would go out of his way to give everybody a moment there.

So yeah, it stands the test of time as a top three season of the show. Next up I will probably watch 'Heroes vs. Villains' again for the hell of it, which I always held as the absolute best season, even featuring four players from 'Micronesia.' Amanda, Cirie, James, and Parvati always seem to be present for some of the best seasons.

Also of note, apparently Eliza "Queen of the Eye-roll," "it's a f***ing stick" Orlins intends on running for Manhattan DA next year. I found that to be an intriguingly timed bit of news and extra relevant to this website.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2020, 01:16:09 AM »

I kind of got disillusioned from Survivor after Season 39 so I don't watch anymore, but I have been making fake Survivor seasons in spreadsheets to get my fix if y'all'd be interested in seeing them.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2021, 11:35:45 AM »

RIP Angie from Palau (season 10)

https://www.gardenofmemoriesmetairie.com/tributes/Cassandra-Jakusz
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2021, 11:57:07 AM »

Jonathan Penner's wife also passed away this week after her battle with ALS that was publicized last season.

In less sad news, Inside Survivor is reporting that production has reached a deal with the Fijian government to begin filming in April.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2021, 06:50:28 PM »

Jonathan Penner's wife also passed away this week after her battle with ALS that was publicized last season.

In less sad news, Inside Survivor is reporting that production has reached a deal with the Fijian government to begin filming in April.

Not the director of 'The Bye Bye Man' (which Penner also wrote)! No seriously, as bad as that movie is (in an endearing way), I felt terrible when I heard she had ALS and I feel terrible for  Penner and his family after their loss. I always liked Jonathan Penner and his Alan Alda voice, even in Cook Islands (another season I have been re-watching) when he got a lot of s***.

Anyway, it's good that we'll finally get a new season. If it hasn't already been clear, I've really been missing the show after a year without a new season.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2021, 08:53:24 PM »

#russellshouldhavewonsamoa
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2021, 09:56:11 PM »

lol
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2021, 10:35:13 PM »

In interest of not drive-by posting---why? He completely alienated the Galu (and Jaison to boot). You can't win if you don't have a strong social game (or if your social game is outshone by other players, as Aubry sadly learned).
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2021, 02:29:41 PM »

Survivor Season 41 looks like it will actually happen! They will start filming soon.  Sunglasses

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-season-41-start-filming-fiji/
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2021, 08:08:37 PM »

I actually agree and either he or Parvati should have won 'Heroes vs. Villains.' I did end up re-watching that season a month or two ago, and it really is in the top three seasons almost entirely because of Russell. Though I do think he got way too paranoid and sloppy with his gameplay towards the end of the season after starting off making some real impressive chess moves. It really did feel like he had a little crush on Parvati (even though he's married)...not like I could blame him. And for that reason I would have been fine if Parvati won instead in turn.

After that season I've continued watching some old season on Amazon, I finished 'Cook Islands' a few weeks ago and am currently now watching 'Survivor: Panama' again.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2021, 11:21:56 PM »

I actually agree and either he or Parvati should have won 'Heroes vs. Villains.' I did end up re-watching that season a month or two ago, and it really is in the top three seasons almost entirely because of Russell. Though I do think he got way too paranoid and sloppy with his gameplay towards the end of the season after starting off making some real impressive chess moves. It really did feel like he had a little crush on Parvati (even though he's married)...not like I could blame him. And for that reason I would have been fine if Parvati won instead in turn.

After that season I've continued watching some old season on Amazon, I finished 'Cook Islands' a few weeks ago and am currently now watching 'Survivor: Panama' again.

Yeah, watching it live when I was 14, I thought Russell should have won HvV.  Looking back on it now as an adult (having rewatched it last year), Parvati should have won.  I still do think I would have voted for Russell in Samoa.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2021, 01:45:36 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2021, 10:40:01 PM by 7,052,770 »

Anyone else watch the most recent season of Australian Survivor, that ended this past Sunday?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2021, 08:51:21 PM »

I think whoever won “should have won”. They played the whole game and were most able to convince the jury. (Except Chris from Edge of Extinction because I don’t like that concept, period. I think it fundamentally goes against the spirit of the game.) Russell couldn’t do that. If he wanted to win he should have been better at it.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2021, 09:19:07 PM »

Just rewatched Gabon. Extremely hilarious season - but the jury is possibly the bitterest, saltiest, most petulant one ever assembled. Really annoying to watch honestly, but fun to watch for the “reality” TV aspect. Plus the groveling of the final 3 that they weren’t that bad was extremely lame. Seriously, the jury was seething with jealously that they got voted out, don’t hate the players hate the game. Overall though I did like a lot of people from this season - Crystal, Kenny, Randy, Sugar, and Susie - and I think watching the original Kota 4 alliance get voted out so brilliantly was pure bliss. It would’ve been too obvious for them to have won so it’s nice to see them get Pagong’d in a sense.

I’d like to hear other people’s thoughts.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2021, 10:46:28 PM »

I think whoever won “should have won”. They played the whole game and were most able to convince the jury. (Except Chris from Edge of Extinction because I don’t like that concept, period. I think it fundamentally goes against the spirit of the game.) Russell couldn’t do that. If he wanted to win he should have been better at it.

I generally agree with the sentiment, because I think that the point of the game is to get the jury to vote for you, not necessarily the people at home. In fact, a key part of the game is learning what the jury values and making sure they perceive you to be that (or nudging them to value your qualities instead).

All 40 winners have had some elements of luck along the way, but I think the worst winners are ones that needed an unusually lucky moment or streak to get there. For example, in season 32, Michelle most likely doesn't even make the Final 3 if Joe isn't evacuated at the final 5, something that was totally beyond her control. Also, I respect people less who only get there on a long immunity or idol run like Mike (30) or Ben (35).
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2021, 05:10:11 AM »

Anyone else watch the most recent season of Australian Survivor, that ended this past Sunday?

Those last few episodes just go to show why the new fire-making challenge actually ends up making things a lot less exciting than it used to be. Way less strategy and more plain luck. The winner was fantastic as well, I was fully rooting for them at the beginning of the episode.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2021, 07:30:32 AM »

I love Gabon purely because it was one of the only seasons I watched live (China through maybe Kaoh Rong) where my favorite (aka the nerd) won.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2021, 08:25:02 AM »

Also IMO the seasons after Philippines or Cagayan or something are just totally unwatchable. No unique intro song? Plus is it just me or are the competitors getting edited into being more and more boring and unlikeable?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2021, 12:59:48 PM »

Also IMO the seasons after Philippines or Cagayan or something are just totally unwatchable. No unique intro song? Plus is it just me or are the competitors getting edited into being more and more boring and unlikeable?

It's shadowing how America is becoming lol
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2021, 06:07:13 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2021, 06:24:47 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

I love Gabon purely because it was one of the only seasons I watched live (China through maybe Kaoh Rong) where my favorite (aka the nerd) won.

Gabon is very underrated to me.

Actually speaking of which, and with this thread becoming relevant again with season 41 finally premiering next week, I am pretty close to finishing my revisit of the 'Survivor' seasons available on Amazon. I just have a few episodes of 'Cagyan' left that I'm rewatching. I didn't get to all of them, but definitely did watch all of the seasons that I have nostalgia for. And this led me to want to create a seasons ranking in tier list form like Harry did a few pages back. Tell me what you think...if you care:

Top Tier-Borneo, Micronesia, Heroes Vs. Villains.

High Tier-Pearl Islands, All-Stars, Palau, Panama, China, Philippines, Caramoan, Blood Vs. Water, Cagayan.

Upper Mid Tier-Africa, Amazon, Cook Islands, Gabon, Samoa, San Juan Del Sur, Cambodia, Millennials Vs. Gen X, Game Changers, Ghost Island, David Vs. Goliath, Winners At War.

Lower Mid Tier-Marquesas, Guatemala, Fiji, Tocantins, Kaoh Rong, Heroes Vs. Healers Vs. Hustlers, Edge of Extinction.

Low Tier-Vanuatu, Redemption Island, South Pacific.

Bottom Tier-Thailand, Nicaragua, One World, Worlds Apart, Island of the Idols.

*I still haven't seen Australia*

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2021, 08:41:43 PM »

Gabon is very underrated to me.

Actually speaking of which, and with this thread becoming relevant again with season 41 finally premiering next week, I am pretty close to finishing my revisit of the 'Survivor' seasons available on Amazon. I just have a few episodes of 'Cagyan' left that I'm rewatching. I didn't get to all of them, but definitely did watch all of the seasons that I have nostalgia for. And this led me to want to create a seasons ranking in tier list form like Harry did a few pages back. Tell me what you think...if you care:

Top Tier-Borneo, Micronesia, Heroes Vs. Villains.

High Tier-Pearl Islands, All-Stars, Palau, Panama, China, Philippines, Caramoan, Blood Vs. Water, Cagayan.

Upper Mid Tier-Africa, Amazon, Cook Islands, Gabon, Samoa, San Juan Del Sur, Cambodia, Millennials Vs. Gen X, Game Changers, Ghost Island, David Vs. Goliath, Winners At War.

Lower Mid Tier-Marquesas, Guatemala, Fiji, Tocantins, Kaoh Rong, Heroes Vs. Healers Vs. Hustlers, Edge of Extinction.

Low Tier-Vanuatu, Redemption Island, South Pacific.

Bottom Tier-Thailand, Nicaragua, One World, Worlds Apart, Island of the Idols.

*I still haven't seen Australia*

I like your list generally. One thing that I apparently stand alone in is that I kinda like Worlds Apart. I think most people on Reddit hate it too, but I just didn't hate the cast as much as a lot of people did.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2021, 09:33:30 PM »

Those last few episodes just go to show why the new fire-making challenge actually ends up making things a lot less exciting than it used to be. Way less strategy and more plain luck. The winner was fantastic as well, I was fully rooting for them at the beginning of the episode.

So here's my review of Australian Survivor season 6 (or 8 if you go by Wikipedia numbering):

I like the way it's presented. The visuals, the music, etc., make it so much more epic than an American season. And with 24 episodes (most of which are longer than an American episode), there's plenty of time to tell the stories.

But the editing continues to be trash. Two contestants get 158 and 126 confessionals, while three different people who made the merge get <10. They've got to even that out more. That wasn't a problem so much in the earlier seasons. And apparently despite all the time they had to show the full game, [[]] who made the merge and barely got any content was trying to play the game and scheming some (though not as much as 158 and 126) and they just didn't show it.

And they've got to do something about the non-elimination episodes. I realize that the network demands 24 episodes and there's nothing they can do to change that, but either cast 2 more people (if you have a cast of 24, why not 26?) or just have the episodes end without a vote-out. Find an exciting cliffhanger at a challenge or something to end an episode maybe?

The rest I'll put in spoiler tags.
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

About the twists and advantages.
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Still an enjoyable season, and even they get the "regular vote at final 4, not automatic fire" thing right. Australian Survivor has the tools to be a far better show than American Survivor, if they'd just get out of their own way.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies