Nassau County, NY for Smash and I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:29:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nassau County, NY for Smash and I
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nassau County, NY for Smash and I  (Read 4330 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2005, 10:39:50 PM »
« edited: November 08, 2005, 10:54:41 PM by patrick1 »

Well it could be a long night for Nassau Repubs.  Suozzi will win as expected but 9 term DA Dillon could be in serious trouble and looks like Reps might lose another Legislature seat.

I'm trying to analyze where the results are coming from to see of Dillon really is toast.

edit- Dillon closing the gap.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 11:29:50 PM »

http://www.co.nassau.ny.us/boe/results.html

Dillon down 122K-117K with 950 out of 1140 precincts counted
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 11:36:23 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2005, 12:02:54 AM by patrick1 »

LI GOP continues to fall apart.  Suffolk legislature went Dem. DA Dillon in Nassau is going to lose in an upset.  It looks like Nassau GOP will remain 10-9 for the Democrats with Republicans barely holding on to one of those seats. 

May I also add that the Nassau GOP deserves every bit of this for their decades of corruption and cronyism. 

Suozzi vs. Spitzer showdown in Democratic Gubernatorial primary- interesting
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 12:08:43 AM »

Just watched Kathleen Rice's victory speech.  Dillon has been a LONG entrenched incumbent and this race suprises even me.  A bit of Suozzi coatails here most likley

Could have seen a Dem increase to 11-8 in gainging a seat, but John Ciotti was able to pull of a victory over Dem Ali Mirza (early returns showed Mirza ahead)  All incumebtns in the Nassau leg won

Other than the DA race most of the big news on Long Island came from Patrick & mine neighboring county in Suffolk.  GOP had an 11-7 majorits in the Suffolk Leg, its now 10-8 Dem, also took control in the town of Brookhaven winning the Supervisor & town board majority in HEAVILY Republican Brookhaven, the heart of Suffolk's GOP which has neem hit hard by scandlals which has earned themselves the "Crookhaven" name
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 12:17:09 AM »

Could have seen a Dem increase to 11-8 in gainging a seat, but John Ciotti was able to pull of a victory over Dem Ali Mirza (early returns showed Mirza ahead)  All incumebtns in the Nassau leg won

It was actually closer to swing back-  Meijas barely won- Guy called the race for himself at 9:01 and he won by under 400 votes.  Rather ballsy.

For D.A.- Rice ran a good campaign and had some very good commercials- she really hit a soccer mom chord with that commercial about plea bargaining DWI cases. 

Town of hempstead is the last GOP refuge.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 01:47:57 AM »

It was actually closer to swing back-  Meijas barely won- Guy called the race for himself at 9:01 and he won by under 400 votes.  Rather ballsy.

For D.A.- Rice ran a good campaign and had some very good commercials- she really hit a soccer mom chord with that commercial about plea bargaining DWI cases. 

Town of hempstead is the last GOP refuge.

Was closer to swing back.  I was just mentioning what I was thinking because Mirza held the lead in the early return (up till about 45% or so of precents).  The Mejias race was closer than I thought it was going to be & closer than it looked at first, but by the time Ciotti looked like he had it pulled out n L.D 3, Mejias seemed to have it wo so I wasn't worried about it swinging back..

The Denise Ford vs Tom Solomon race actually finished a bit closer than the Ciotti vs Mirza race.  The regsitered Dem Ford (who runs & cacuses as a Republican) held on to her seat by a margin slightly larger than Mejias held on to his seat by.  Ford wins by 3.44%, 51.72% to 48.28%, Meijas wins by 2.72%, 51.36% to 48.64%.  The other two races that were potentially vulnerable, as I mentioned above Ciotti held off Mirza & won by 5.52%, 52,76% to 47.24%, and Toback defeated Katz by a larger margin than most people though 9.2% 54.6% to 45.4%.  All other Leg districts the incumbent won by 20% + most by at least 30-35%

Suozzi won by 21.24% with a 59.11% to 37.87% with Bruno picking up 3.02%

Rice defated Dillon for DA & won by 2.7% 51.35% - 48.65%

Reps did win the County Clerk race Maureen O' Connel defeated Trish Ferrel by 5.88%  52.94%- 47.08%

County Comptroller Dem incumbent Weitzman beat Claven JR by 6.20% 53.1% to 46.9%

Ralph Suozzi a Democrat, Tom Suozzi's cousin who was running on the GCF line defeated incumbent Glen Cove Mayor by a 43.43% to 40.45% with Republican Drew Fonrose picking up only 16.12% of the vote
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 10:49:54 AM »

Just watched Kathleen Rice's victory speech.  Dillon has been a LONG entrenched incumbent and this race suprises even me.  A bit of Suozzi coatails here most likley

Other than the DA race most of the big news on Long Island came from Patrick & mine neighboring county in Suffolk.  GOP had an 11-7 majorits in the Suffolk Leg, its now 10-8 Dem, also took control in the town of Brookhaven winning the Supervisor & town board majority in HEAVILY Republican Brookhaven, the heart of Suffolk's GOP which has neem hit hard by scandlals which has earned themselves the "Crookhaven" name

Naturally this is very disappointing, but my real anger is focused at the Sheriff's race.  The challenger who is the president of the union won.  How can you let the president of the union be the person in charge of overtime and salaries?  It's a major conflict of interest.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 10:52:31 AM »

Of what union?
Police union? In that case, yeah, he should resign from his union position immediately, elseways it's as good as if there was no union.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 11:01:15 AM »

Of what union?
Police union? In that case, yeah, he should resign from his union position immediately, elseways it's as good as if there was no union.

The deputies union, as in the Sheriff deputies who are now his subordinates.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 11:14:32 AM »

Of what union?

The deputies union, as in the Sheriff deputies who are now his subordinates.
Yeah well, as I said.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 07:46:03 PM »

The GOP in the Northeast is a joke right now.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 09:04:14 PM »

And hopefully it will spread into Southeastern PA.  Ugh, we lost the Bucks DA race, but it was close. 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 10:57:38 PM »

The GOP in Suffolk is doing the exact same thing the Nassau GOP did a few years back.  Basically imploding.

The GOP still holds power in the Town of Hempstead & the Town of Oyster Bay, but at the county level they have nothing except for clerk with the entrenched Dillon getting knocked out by Rice.

In 99 the GOP lost the Nassau Leg to disastifaction with the Republican leadersip, which followed the 2001 cakewalk for Suozzi in which he was easily elected to an open seat  after Gullotata was forced out by the GOP ( Gullotta would have lost by 50 if he ran again)

Basically the only chance the GOP had to gaining power back was if the public was disastisfied with how the  Dems did.  The GOP hammered the Dems on reassement (which actually has very little to do with the taxes) & used distortions on the increases to lure votes (most of the increases came from school taxes which have gone up the last few years especially after Pataki cut aid in 03, something Suozzi has little power over, or anyone on the county level).  Tried to scare people into voting for the with the recent home invasions (though crime was down even from the 04 levels, which was the lowest the county had in 35 years & listed as the safest county in thhe IU.S by the FBI.  Basically the public called them on their bs.  It was interesting to see the GOP slam Suozzi & some legislatures (Mejias & Toback) on crime, at a time when their own DA's main platform was the historic low crime rate.  The stuff that came from Delarbbara & the PBA was over the top & basically turned off many voters (& they could be in quite a bit of trouble for breaking various campaign finance laws).  Basically in the end Nassau came down to the public turning on the GOP a few years back, giving Dems a chance & the voters liked what has been accomplished over the last few years and turned off by the hard core negitive attacks.

Suffolk was a different story.  Had an open game with term limits & higher office making way for 6 open seats, toss in a popular Dem County Exec, not so likeable GOP incumbents in some cases, tons of corruption in the Town of Brookhaven, along with party infighting in Brookhaven & Islip and you have a sharp change.  Not to mention the demographic shift of both regions, the Dem shifrt on the national level, 9/11 impact from last year being gone, Bush basically being despised here (which could have turned some people off from voting for anything with an R next to its name) it could be a long time for the GOP to get their traction going again & get their power back.  Especially if the Dems taking over in Suffolk has similar results to what happened when the Dems took over in NAssau
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 01:20:33 AM »

About time the crooks got kicked out in Suffolk county.
danwxman

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 02:03:50 AM »

And hopefully it will spread into Southeastern PA.  Ugh, we lost the Bucks DA race, but it was close. 

Bucks county worries me.

Dems did amazingly well (considering) in the Harrisburg area. Several of the suburban townships and boroughs ousted long-time Republican incumbents for Democrats. Several Harrisburg suburbs (Lower Paxton, East Pennsboro, New Cumberland) literally went from total Republican control to total Democratic control. A real shocker, considering there was really no reason for it. Also, the Republican mayor of Lancaster lost re-election to his Democratic challenger...a complete shocker as well.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 02:09:36 AM »

Bucks county worries me.

Dems did amazingly well (considering) in the Harrisburg area. Several of the suburban townships and boroughs ousted long-time Republican incumbents for Democrats. Several Harrisburg suburbs (Lower Paxton, East Pennsboro, New Cumberland) literally went from total Republican control to total Democratic control. A real shocker, considering there was really no reason for it. Also, the Republican mayor of Lancaster lost re-election to his Democratic challenger...a complete shocker as well.

Even the "T' has it's vulnerabilities.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 08:33:01 AM »

How come we're talking about frigging Pennsylvania again?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 01:54:50 PM »

How come we're talking about frigging Pennsylvania again?

Because we love to take over every friggin thread and damn proud of it!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies