Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:07:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 65
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 117405 times)
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: May 18, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1151 on: May 18, 2019, 09:50:37 AM »

This is the midset that has to be defeated in order for anyone else to beat Biden.

The argument isn't that beating Trump isn't a priority, it's that we need a more detailed vision for the future than simply Trump not being president.

I, and many others, understand your position.
Don't get me wrong, there are some progressive (very liberal) positions and ideas that I support. But, this time around (2020) we (our entire nation) have a massive problem that is a priority .... defeating trump.
Think about it like this .... trump is cancer and is killing us. We need to act now to remove that cancer (we can not wait until 2024). All indications point to Biden as the best surgeon to restore our health, SO WE CAN ALL LIVE.

PS: Probably any other Rep president would not "be cancer," but just (at most be) a cold or a strong flu. What we have right now, is serious and deadly.

The bolded part is what I have to question. What evidence, exactly? Early polls? We can’t put too much stock in them. Other than polls, the only “evidence” I’ve seen is basically gut feelings or some conventional wisdom about more moderate and experienced candidates being more electable. Recent elections really don’t back that up, and I would argue that any Democratic candidate will hurt their electoral chances if they don’t run on a positive vision for the future, and simply run an anti-Trump campaign.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #1152 on: May 18, 2019, 12:18:23 PM »

This is the midset that has to be defeated in order for anyone else to beat Biden.

Kinda hard to do that when the only thing liberals want is for The Bad Man to go away so they can have the Good Man again, and then everyone in America will be happy forever.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #1153 on: May 18, 2019, 12:28:14 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1154 on: May 18, 2019, 12:30:19 PM »

This so great. Go Uncle Joe!!
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1155 on: May 18, 2019, 12:31:54 PM »

The argument isn't that beating Trump isn't a priority, it's that we need a more detailed vision for the future than simply Trump not being president.

Don't get me wrong, there are some progressive (very liberal) positions and ideas that I support. But, this time around (2020) we (our entire nation) have a massive problem that is a priority .... defeating trump.
Think about it like this .... trump is cancer and is killing us. We need to act now to remove that cancer (we can not wait until 2024). All indications point to Biden as the best surgeon to restore our health, SO WE CAN ALL LIVE.

PS: Probably any other Rep president would not "be cancer," but just (at most be) a cold or a strong flu. What we have right now, is serious and deadly.

The bolded part is what I have to question. What evidence, exactly? Early polls? We can’t put too much stock in them. Other than polls, the only “evidence” I’ve seen is basically gut feelings or some conventional wisdom about more moderate and experienced candidates being more electable. Recent elections really don’t back that up, and I would argue that any Democratic candidate will hurt their electoral chances if they don’t run on a positive vision for the future, and simply run an anti-Trump campaign.
Two points-- first of all, I think we can put a lot more stock in the Biden-Trump polling matchups than you would think, simply because they both have universal name recognition. Secondly, I think democrats think Dems need to do everything perfect in terms of campaign message and such in order to beat him, when that simply is not the case. Running an anti Trump campaign could work, as could an issues-based campaign. I think all we really need is a decently favorable person Dems can get behind, and for better or for worse, that is Biden.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1156 on: May 18, 2019, 12:35:37 PM »

He’s the “best surgeon” because he’s old, white, has a penis, and placates treasonous Republicans. None of which do any good for the marginalized communities that overwhelmingly back Democrats.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1157 on: May 18, 2019, 12:36:03 PM »

Thus far this has been the most low energy event (rally) I have ever attended. Hopefully Joe brings the energy because you can tell these people aren't enthused by him quite the way Hillary and Obama brought out Superfans the energy is definitely not being driven by the crowds' anticipation.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #1158 on: May 18, 2019, 12:42:09 PM »

@JoeBiden rally playing Born In The USA by Bruce - Recall that Springsteen asked The Reagan ‘84 Campaign to stop using it.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1159 on: May 18, 2019, 01:05:31 PM »

And as expected, Joe is delivering all the zingers needed to bring out some energy thankfully. Goes to show all the Internet losers who called him low energy for the last 2 years.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #1160 on: May 18, 2019, 01:17:47 PM »

Joe's speech is pretty impressive IMO
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1161 on: May 18, 2019, 01:19:38 PM »

Firstly, any other Republican would be one of those black moles that kills people in two weeks that no one notices because it isn't immediately painful and there's a competence to it. At least Trump is the type of cancer that so obviously hurts and can be fought.

Secondly, Biden is more like some guy with salt water [cloves if we're generous] when the real trouble is severe gingivitis and toothache that requires of a lot of dental extraction.

Liberals and people whining about "buh I like my plan" when balking at the cost of M4A or whatever in turn are those people that b*(ch about doing the flossing to keep teeth in tact just because there might be some momentary blood and pain.

Joe's speech is pretty impressive IMO

Ah, the salt water begins to momentarily ease the abcess.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1162 on: May 18, 2019, 01:20:44 PM »

This is the mindset that has to be defeated in order for anyone else to beat Biden.

I 100% agree with you, I just don't know if the vast majority of the Democratic Primary electorate does.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1163 on: May 18, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »

Overheard upon leaving: "It was nice but there was nobody there. The Parkway was filled for Kerry and Obama."

I did not attend those rallies, and I would imagine it is possible that they are comparing to GE crowds, but there was an enormous amount of space to walk around.very limited group in the standing room area.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1164 on: May 18, 2019, 01:39:52 PM »

Two points-- first of all, I think we can put a lot more stock in the Biden-Trump polling matchups than you would think, simply because they both have universal name recognition. Secondly, I think democrats think Dems need to do everything perfect in terms of campaign message and such in order to beat him, when that simply is not the case. Running an anti Trump campaign could work, as could an issues-based campaign. I think all we really need is a decently favorable person Dems can get behind, and for better or for worse, that is Biden.

The Biden-Trump polls might tell us what would happen if the election were held today. There are many ways in which that could change pretty drastically. Why is Biden the decently favorable person? Why do no other Democrats fit that description? And who's to say some Democrats wouldn't be better than that? I'm not sure I understand your point. It seems like you're saying Democrats have several different ways to win, but then you're saying Biden is our one chance.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1165 on: May 18, 2019, 02:02:42 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2019, 02:06:28 PM by KYWildman »

The last thing I’ve heard from Bernie is details. “Free healthcare for all.” OK, how? “Free college for all.” OK, how? “Stop climate change.” OK, how? And the answer is always “It’s the millionaires and billionaires stopping us” or some related non sequitur that does nothing to explain how you’re going to enact all these lofty goals, let alone get them past a Republican Senate in a nation so right-wing it just elected Donald Trump. Hell, Bernie can’t even work with his own party that he refuses to properly join. Why am I supposed to believe he would be remotely effective at pushing through any legislation?

So yeah, the big priority — the ONLY priority — right now IS to stop Trump, because NOTHING else can even BEGIN to be done otherwise. Even if you had details for all these lofty goals (and, unlike Bernie, Warren admittedly does for many of them), if you can’t even get in office yourself and you can’t be a strong leader for your party, it is all meaningless. You might as well just rant about all your ideas online (on a board like this) for all they will be worth.

The point of the cartoon is not that Joe has no ideas beyond beating Trump, but that he is laser-focused on and ideally suited to beating Trump, unlike the lefties who are putting the cart before the horse and frankly seem crazy to a whole bunch of swing voters in this country who think Joe is sensible.

I mean really, would you start making a detailed vision for the future of a house that is on fire? Or would you grab a hose and frantically try to save it from burning to the ground? Biden is the firefighter, Bernie is the guy talking about all the grand plans he has to renovate the house as it burns.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1166 on: May 18, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »

This is the mindset that has to be defeated in order for anyone else to beat Biden.

I 100% agree with you, I just don't know if the vast majority of the Democratic Primary electorate does.

They don't.

Some on the left are not listening to the electorate. They aren't really interested in some big detail vision of the future right now. They just want DT gone and a chance of a return to normalcy. Since all of us on here deeply follow politics, I think some of us forget just how chaotic and bonkers the Trump presidency has been.

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1167 on: May 18, 2019, 02:59:46 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2019, 03:06:57 PM by The Unbearable Inevitability of Nevada going Democratic »

The last thing I’ve heard from Bernie is details. “Free healthcare for all.” OK, how? “Free college for all.” OK, how? “Stop climate change.” OK, how? And the answer is always “It’s the millionaires and billionaires stopping us” or some related non sequitur that does nothing to explain how you’re going to enact all these lofty goals, let alone get them past a Republican Senate in a nation so right-wing it just elected Donald Trump. Hell, Bernie can’t even work with his own party that he refuses to properly join. Why am I supposed to believe he would be remotely effective at pushing through any legislation?

So yeah, the big priority — the ONLY priority — right now IS to stop Trump, because NOTHING else can even BEGIN to be done otherwise. Even if you had details for all these lofty goals (and, unlike Bernie, Warren admittedly does for many of them), if you can’t even get in office yourself and you can’t be a strong leader for your party, it is all meaningless. You might as well just rant about all your ideas online (on a board like this) for all they will be worth.

The point of the cartoon is not that Joe has no ideas beyond beating Trump, but that he is laser-focused on and ideally suited to beating Trump, unlike the lefties who are putting the cart before the horse and frankly seem crazy to a whole bunch of swing voters in this country who think Joe is sensible.

I mean really, would you start making a detailed vision for the future of a house that is on fire? Or would you grab a hose and frantically try to save it from burning to the ground? Biden is the firefighter, Bernie is the guy talking about all the grand plans he has to renovate the house as it burns.

Again, my point is not that we shouldn't be focused on beating Trump. My point is that talking about our vision for the future and giving people a positive message to get behind is how we beat Trump. Describing how Trump is uniquely unqualified sounds convincing to us Democrats, but we already believe that about him. It's not going to sway people who are not already committed to vote against him. Bernie may not talk about details during his campaign speeches, but he has gone into more details on other occasions, especially in some of his books. Warren has been the most policy-oriented on the campaign trail, I'll give you that, and she's pretty much right there with Bernie as one of my top choices. I think that Bernie is better at selling his ideas than Warren, which is why I think he might be a stronger candidate than her.

It's true that Bernie wouldn't get a lot done with a Republican Senate, but NO Democrat would. Republicans are not going to work with Biden just because he expresses a stronger desire to work with them. Obama regularly tried to reach his hand across the aisle, and all that he got was his hand bitten off as a result. If Biden thinks he's going to get anything done with the help of Republicans, he's the naive one, not Bernie.

And to use your analogy, if my house were on fire, yes I would focus on putting it out, but I would be thinking about what to do after the fire is gone and how to avoid another house fire. I also wouldn't try to work or reason with the arsonists who lit my house on fire in the first place.

And yes, I know a lot of Democrats singularly care about beating Trump. That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to think that way.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1168 on: May 18, 2019, 03:22:11 PM »

Bill Clinton admitted that the 1994 crime bill he signed led to mass incarceration. Bernie Sanders admitted that the 1994 crime bill he voted for led to mass incarceration. Joe Biden denies it.

The campaign of Liz
just have to cease
So Bernie can gain
and progressives prevail
 Pacman

>Dems' *perception* a mod/mainstream nominee = best bet vs. Trump

To quote the cuckgressives: this attitude is how Trump wins.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1169 on: May 18, 2019, 04:15:42 PM »

I am going to break from the conventional wisdom here and say that electability is not the main reason that Biden is doing so well.

Rather, it's the nostalgia for Obama.

Since Obama obviously cannot run again, Biden is the next best thing.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1170 on: May 18, 2019, 04:56:35 PM »

I broadly agree, and I will vote for Biden over Trump with very little hesitation. (The bar for "better than Trump" is very, very low.)

But Trump is not cancer. Trump is a tumor that is killing us right now. He needs to go as soon as possible, with the least damage possible caused by his removal.

The modern "Republican" Party is the cancer. And, Trump or not, it will kill us unless we reject it. And right now Biden sounds like a guy saying, "once the major symptom is gone, we don't have to worry about the disease anymore!"  And that is close to the worst possible post-Trump approach. 

Hopefully he is not sincere, and the "we can work with Republicans"  rhetoric is pure political calculation from an old hand.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1171 on: May 18, 2019, 05:08:12 PM »

The partisan Democrats reacting so critically to Biden's unity routine don't seem to realize that a candidate can support progressive policies like Medicare expansion or a $15 minimum wage while taking a less antagonistic tack toward the partisan outgroup.

Not everyone knows that they are on your side. You're not going to win them over with a candidate whose speeches make on-the-fence voters wonder whether they're being excoriated for their sins.
.....Meanwhile Trump sits in the White House.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1172 on: May 18, 2019, 05:14:13 PM »

He’s the “best surgeon” because he’s old, white, has a penis, and placates treasonous Republicans. None of which do any good for the marginalized communities that overwhelmingly back Democrats.

I think Biden has the theoretical largest possible turnout of likely Democratic candidates, presuming he both gets votes from the semi-fictional "moderates in the middle" and also mobilizes the left to vote for him instead of opting out or voting 3rd party. (Anecdotally, I've had conversations in passing with older family members and co-workers that indicate there are people who give the convincing impression that  they would happily vote for Biden, but would never vote for Beto.) Whether those "moderates" are actually willing to do something other than vote for the deranged bigoted crook the GOP will likely be running is up in the air, as is how many votes from the left Biden will lose for various reasons. The worst case for Biden is probably at least as bad as for anyone else current in the top half of the field.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1173 on: May 18, 2019, 05:46:44 PM »

The partisan Democrats reacting so critically to Biden's unity routine don't seem to realize that a candidate can support progressive policies like Medicare expansion or a $15 minimum wage while taking a less antagonistic tack toward the partisan outgroup.

Not everyone knows that they are on your side. You're not going to win them over with a candidate whose speeches make on-the-fence voters wonder whether they're being excoriated for their sins.

What does this post mean?

It doesn't matter how much we rend our garments or curse our countrymen. Trump will continue sitting in the White House, like patience on a monument.
Trump is divisive and won. Stop droning on about unity. Half of the country will hate Joe Biden no matter how much he panders to them at the expense of issues Democrats care about. Stop worrying about people who wouldn’t spit on you if you were on fire.
Higgins
« Reply #1174 on: May 18, 2019, 05:53:20 PM »

What does this post mean?

It doesn't matter how much we rend our garments or curse our countrymen. Trump will continue sitting in the White House, like patience on a monument.
Trump is divisive and won. Stop droning on about unity. Half of the country will hate Joe Biden no matter how much he panders to them at the expense of issues Democrats care about. Stop worrying about people who wouldn’t spit on you if you were on fire.

Thank God you're not running for President. The idea is one is to be President of ALL the people. Otherwise there is no point in a United States, much less a presidency.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 65  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies