Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:19:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 65
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 117980 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: May 08, 2019, 07:33:10 PM »

Though young liberal activists have gained influence, and visibility on social media, most Democratic voters are over 45 and more moderate. Biden holds a strong initial advantage among them, especially African-Americans, after his eight-year partnership with President Barack Obama.

His advantage is so strong, and the sprawling field so splintered, that Democratic delegate selection rules could give him an additional boost. Candidates must win 15% of the vote to claim delegates from a primary or caucus, which in some cases could shut competitors out.

It's the general election, Wasserman maintains, that presents more daunting problems. There, the Trump campaign's aggressive social media operation could use Biden's past to depress enthusiasm among key constituencies – as Trump and Russian intelligence agents did against Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Six in 10 Americans tell NBC News/Wall Street Journal pollsters they feel uneasy about a candidate of 75. That complicates Biden's ability to arouse intense support from young and nonwhite voters, which has become essential to Democratic mobilization.

"Are young, casual Democratic voters going to bring three friends to the polls to vote for Joe Biden as they did for Barack Obama? The answer is probably not," Wasserman reasons, "In reality, I don't think he's one of the more electable Democrats in the race."

Who is? Ideally, Wasserman reasons, a young mainstream liberal from outside Washington who doesn't bear the taint of coastal elitism. Even better, someone whose election would shatter a barrier the way Obama's did.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/07/how-joe-biden-could-win-the-battle-but-lose-the-war-to-trump-in-2020.html

Haven't we learned that Dave Wasserman and Cook Political Report does not know how to analyze politics until April of Election Year
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #976 on: May 08, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »

Though young liberal activists have gained influence, and visibility on social media, most Democratic voters are over 45 and more moderate. Biden holds a strong initial advantage among them, especially African-Americans, after his eight-year partnership with President Barack Obama.

His advantage is so strong, and the sprawling field so splintered, that Democratic delegate selection rules could give him an additional boost. Candidates must win 15% of the vote to claim delegates from a primary or caucus, which in some cases could shut competitors out.

It's the general election, Wasserman maintains, that presents more daunting problems. There, the Trump campaign's aggressive social media operation could use Biden's past to depress enthusiasm among key constituencies – as Trump and Russian intelligence agents did against Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Six in 10 Americans tell NBC News/Wall Street Journal pollsters they feel uneasy about a candidate of 75. That complicates Biden's ability to arouse intense support from young and nonwhite voters, which has become essential to Democratic mobilization.

"Are young, casual Democratic voters going to bring three friends to the polls to vote for Joe Biden as they did for Barack Obama? The answer is probably not," Wasserman reasons, "In reality, I don't think he's one of the more electable Democrats in the race."

Who is? Ideally, Wasserman reasons, a young mainstream liberal from outside Washington who doesn't bear the taint of coastal elitism. Even better, someone whose election would shatter a barrier the way Obama's did.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/07/how-joe-biden-could-win-the-battle-but-lose-the-war-to-trump-in-2020.html

Haven't we learned that Dave Wasserman and Cook Political Report does not know how to analyze politics until April of Election Year
I'm sorry I don't believe in this theory that all Democrats electoral problem will be solved by nominating the first (fill in the blank).
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #977 on: May 08, 2019, 08:30:06 PM »

I'm sorry I don't believe in this theory that all Democrats electoral problem will be solved by nominating the first (fill in the blank).
Obviously not but it is not far fetched to theorize we need a candidate that can draw out casual Democrats and lots of first time voters. Joe Biden isn't going to do that. His election is not the slam dunk so many people are convinced it is.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #978 on: May 08, 2019, 11:48:33 PM »

Has anyone actually seen vids of him on the trail? It's a mess. I just don't see him making it through the grind of the campaign.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #979 on: May 09, 2019, 12:09:43 AM »

"Union man" Joe Biden crossed a picket line for a fundraiser with wealthy donors.

He also had a fundraiser with Republicans on Tuesday:

Like it's so obvious he is full of crap and GOP people want him because he will do little to no damage to their agenda while they regroup for 2024 which will probably be an open election.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #980 on: May 09, 2019, 12:12:06 AM »

"Union man" Joe Biden crossed a picket line for a fundraiser with wealthy donors.

Like it's so obvious he is full of crap and GOP people want him because he will do little to no damage to their agenda while they regroup for 2024 which will probably be an open election.

Been said that. It's why I'm voting for Trump just to make sure he loses.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #981 on: May 09, 2019, 01:09:53 AM »

Hunter Biden is helping China send its minority Uyghurs to internment camps.

https://theintercept.com/2019/05/03/biden-son-china-business/
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #982 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:33 AM »

Wasn't Clinton's largest donor the manager of a China-affiliated LLC?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Sussman
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #983 on: May 09, 2019, 01:42:20 AM »

People really need to get that voting for Biden is basically voting for a one termer and someone who will handicap the party in the future. If it's up in the air whether they'd even survive a second term then I'd say they weren't electable.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #984 on: May 09, 2019, 01:46:19 AM »

Joe Biden just said that China is not an economic threat. I think it's clear who China will be backing.  Chinese interference is OK but we must yell about Russia because reasons.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/442351-analyst-biden-china-comments-inexplicable-absolutely-incorrect
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #985 on: May 09, 2019, 01:52:53 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2019, 02:20:33 AM by Sir Mohamed »

Joe Biden just said that China is not an economic threat. I think it's clear who China will be backing.  Chinese interference is OK but we must yell about Russia because reasons.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/442351-analyst-biden-china-comments-inexplicable-absolutely-incorrect

He hasn't called on then to get Trump's taxes yet... but yup, that's what I've been worried from the beginning on. Biden is a fine dude, but 2020 is not his time to be prez. Regardless, I will gladly support him as the nominee.
JG

« Reply #986 on: May 09, 2019, 07:37:05 AM »

Has anyone actually seen vids of him on the trail? It's a mess. I just don't see him making it through the grind of the campaign.

I haven't seen any. Not surprised to hear that though. How was he?
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #987 on: May 09, 2019, 07:51:47 AM »

I posted something about this earlier. Some on the left care more about having an ideological fight than actually beating Trump. The Sanders supporters are never going to win a primary no matter how many times the establishment lose if their main message is vote for our candidate or we will sabotage you in the general elections.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #988 on: May 09, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »

Joe Biden just said that China is not an economic threat. I think it's clear who China will be backing.  Chinese interference is OK but we must yell about Russia because reasons.

Every establishment Democrat is going to be say that for exactly the reason you gave. The Democrats are the pro-China party and the Republicans are the pro-Russia party. Bernie and Tulsi are exceptions.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #989 on: May 09, 2019, 10:15:01 AM »

I posted something about this earlier. Some on the left care more about having an ideological fight than actually beating Trump. The Sanders supporters are never going to win a primary no matter how many times the establishment lose if their main message is vote for our candidate or we will sabotage you in the general elections.

And some in The Establishment only care about Trump at the cost of everything else, including 2022. No sense of a bigger picture.

Also, I'm literally game for anyone but Biden, and Sanders is NOT my first choice.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #990 on: May 09, 2019, 11:27:24 AM »

If you are on the left and you vote for Trump over Biden then you aren't a serious person.

Honestly, this kind of thinking really pisses me off. There is a decent chance that there will be two more supreme court openings within the next four years and you really going to potentially throw that away because you don't like Biden?

GTFO with that purity crap.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #991 on: May 09, 2019, 11:37:12 AM »

This has always been the best reason for skepticism about Biden. Both he and Bernie are highly unlikely to make it through this campaign without doing things that remind voters of their age.

People have good reason to be frightened about this. Those of us who are watching the race closely can recognize how both men are obviously less sharp in unrehearsed settings than they were four years ago.
Is there a particular video that highlight that? I have seen a couple (really short) with each of them and didn't notice anything special. But Trump probably started calling Joe Sleepy for a reason?
I think we're likely to leave this primary campaign with a new appreciation for the risks posed by age.  Maybe it's Trump's mutant energy that has us fooled. There's something unnatural going on there. Even Liz Warren, a candidate who in contrast shows no signs of age-related decline, is nearly as old as Bob Dole was during his campaign!

Off topic, but I just googled how old Warren is... Just WOW, I thought that she was like at least 10 years younger than Hillary. She just looks great and has a lot of energy (though she's done because of her handling of, as your favourite President says, Pocahontas thing). Why the hell didn't she run in 2016? I thought she was too young for America public...
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #992 on: May 09, 2019, 11:55:10 AM »

This literally isn’t about Bernie. I have seen people say they will vote for Kamala, Beto, Buttigieg, etc. but y’all want people to vote for Joe Biden, the man who just had a fundraiser with GOP operatives, and last year with the House Majority on the line he campaigned for a Republican who tried to gut his “best friend” Barack Obama’s signature law. Biden has been obscenely naive about the complicity of Republicans during this era but we should hand him the keys? K. There is no compelling case to support his candidacy. Claiming he will beat Trump when there is no empirical evidence that a three time loser can do so is not going to change anybody’s mind.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #993 on: May 09, 2019, 12:08:05 PM »

Agreed. As I've said for a while, the far-left's biggest "enemy" has always been the moderate left, not the conservatives.

Side note: Why does this thread always get unpinned?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #994 on: May 09, 2019, 12:14:58 PM »

As I've said before, I would gladly vote for Officer Kamala over Trump if the alternative were picking between Trump and Biden.  Biden's only credential right now is that he's the "next-in-line" candidate, and he's demonstrated that by vetting potential veep candidates months before he even announced his candidacy.  He simply feels entitled to the nomination and the presidency, and he's clearly less interested in actually earning votes than he is in a coronation.

His voting record is subpar.  He voted for domestic spying and unnecessary war.  He voted to end bankruptcy protections.  He gave a big f#ck-you to Millennials.  Anyone else with a record like that would not stand a chance in a Democratic primary today.  The only reason he's polling as high as he is is because of the "Obama's BFF" meme.

There is over a score of candidates running in the primary now who don't have problematic records.  Why Biden?  Why not anybody else?  The only answer I get to that question is "orange man bad."

Which is why I will not vote for Biden in the primary or in the general.  I voted for the turd sandwich over the giant douche in 2016.  This time I'm voting my conscience.

(And if the Greens nominate Jill f#cking Stein again, I'll just write Elizabeth Warren in.  The rest of my ballot will be straight D.)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #995 on: May 09, 2019, 12:22:19 PM »

There is no compelling case to support his candidacy.

Yeah, there is. It is called the Supreme Court.

There is a very good chance neither Ginsburg and Breyer make it through the next four years.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #996 on: May 09, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »

There is a very good chance neither Ginsburg and Breyer make it through the next four years.

Yeah, if Trump gets in another term, you'll have a 7-2 conservative/right-wing court. Four more years of Trump also means four more years of corruption, incomptence, infighting, name-calling and the race to the bottom. It means four more years of losing international partners and four more years lost in the combat against climate change. He must be defeated under any circumstances.

I'm not a fan of Bernie's candidacy, but if he is the nominee, I would be absolutely rooting for him to win.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #997 on: May 09, 2019, 12:28:00 PM »

I don't endorse the idea of sitting out the election or voting for Trump in the case of Biden winning the nomination. Trump winning again would be a catastrophe no matter how you cut it. However, Biden needs to give people a better reason to vote for him than not being Trump, or a superficial argument about "experience" and "electability." I don't doubt that Biden would be a far better president than Trump, but that's an extremely low bar, and I don't think his experience shows him to be superior to any of the other Democratic candidates. Not to mention my experience has taught me to be cautious about assumptions of "electability."
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #998 on: May 09, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »

Biden hasn’t won the nomination. Half of y’all are mad we won’t coalesce around him and anoint him as the nominee. I will criticize him all I want until he (possibly) wins the nomination. I’m tired of legitimate critiques of his character or political acumen being written off as far left attacks. He CAMPAIGNS for Republicans and y’all won’t even acknowledge that that is at the very least problematic. There is no working with Republicans. I don’t care what low info voters said in a poll. The people on this forum should know better than that.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #999 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:29 PM »

Biden hasn’t won the nomination. Half of y’all are mad we won’t coalesce around him and anoint him as the nominee. I will criticize him all I want until he (possibly) wins the nomination. I’m tired of legitimate critiques of his character or political acumen being written off as far left attacks. He CAMPAIGNS for Republicans and y’all won’t even acknowledge that that is at the very least problematic. There is no working with Republicans. I don’t care what low info voters said in a poll. The people on this forum should know better than that.

The point, I guess, is more about not supporting him if he becomes the nominee. It's legitimate to criticize him for his stances and his record if factually correct or a point of view. But it's laughable to dennounce Uncle Joe has a right-winger or even segregationst as some others have done.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 65  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies