Who's going to qualify for the Democratic debates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:57:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Who's going to qualify for the Democratic debates?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 52
Poll
Question: How many?
20+

10 or fewer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 160

Author Topic: Who's going to qualify for the Democratic debates?  (Read 77382 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2019, 11:15:01 AM »

This has prompted me to send a small donation her way.  While she's not my preferred candidate, I like Gillibrand and I definitely think she deserves a broader platform than joke candidates like Gabbard and Yang.

In what way is Yang a joke candidate?
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »

Hey; I did my part.
scooby
Rookie
United States

« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »

I don’t really even understand why she hasn’t gotten more attention. She’s plenty progressive (even despite her record as a representative) but I just haven’t seen her talked about. Surely she’s more dynamic and interesting than Amy Klobuchar or the like. Maybe her lane was just already full.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2019, 11:46:19 AM »

Gillibrand is probably one of the stronger GE candidates for the Democrats, but they don't seem to recognize this yet.

How
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2019, 11:48:15 AM »

Fail Kirsten Fail!

Gillibrand is probably one of the stronger GE candidates for the Democrats, but they don't seem to recognize this yet.

How
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2019, 11:50:42 AM »

I think she's doing so poorly simply because she's a white blonde female from NY and that (even minus the NY/Senator stuff) inherently reminds people of Hillary. To a lesser degree, it's probably also why Warren is under-performing. People are subconsciously afraid this cycle that female = loser.

On a not-so-related note, I actually think there may be a similar issue playing out with regard to candidates of color (obviously this isn't directly related to Clinton); it's quite out of step with the prevailing sentiment that white dudes are sucking up like 80% of the oxygen in the primary. I'm not sure what else would explain that dynamic other than "let's run a candidate that's most likely to win because 'Trump'".
NCJeff
Rookie

« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2019, 12:20:13 PM »

How

She's from upstate New York, which is culturally similar to the "Rust Belt" (she has at least as much of a calling card there as Biden or Klobuchar).  She is a working mother.  She's relatively young for a presidential candidate.  These are meaningful advantages.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2019, 12:28:08 PM »

I think she's doing so poorly simply because she's a white blonde female from NY and that (even minus the NY/Senator stuff) inherently reminds people of Hillary. To a lesser degree, it's probably also why Warren is under-performing. People are subconsciously afraid this cycle that female = loser.

On a not-so-related note, I actually think there may be a similar issue playing out with regard to candidates of color (obviously this isn't directly related to Clinton); it's quite out of step with the prevailing sentiment that white dudes are sucking up like 80% of the oxygen in the primary. I'm not sure what else would explain that dynamic other than "let's run a candidate that's most likely to win because 'Trump'".

This echoes a lot of what I've been thinking as well. In the limited political discussions I've had this year, one that stuck out to me was when my bud's parents from Virginia Beach spoke glowingly of Joe Biden and questioned Kamala Harris' chances in the general election. I'm pretty sure they know very little of Harris' record as San Francisco's DA, California's AG, or as a US Senator. But they've already made the judgement that they "just don't think she can win". They happen to be black.

Democratic primary voters are more pragmatic (in intentions) than given credit for, which is why you're seeing electability weighing much more than any other factor in polls so far. And with Biden's entrance into the race, the time in which the primary could've been an ideological free-for-all is beginning to come to an end. In a way this isn't really a surprise when you consider the incumbent president of the opposite party is massively unpopular, and with Kerry's primary landslide in 2004 and Romney's relative dominance of the clown car in 2012 combined with Bernie's demographic advantages fading (polls of NH and WI demonstrate this), it wouldn't even be particularly shocking if Biden steamrolled his way to a 40-state victory this time around.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »

Low poll numbers aside, there are problem lots of people who are fine with Gillibrand but just very few who are excited about her. She has a high floor but a low ceiling, maybe the lowest.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2019, 01:11:52 PM »

0-1%. Very high floor folks.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2019, 01:16:28 PM »

She's a Senator from a very large state who got big landslide wins, so she should be doing better than she is (even accounting for the Franken thing). She is mainly based around identity politics, however her natural base of white women is the least groupish demographic in America. Minorities and white men will usually rally around their own overall. White women will tend to support other groups.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2019, 01:20:25 PM »

Donating just to get her on the stage. She's a lot better than half of the candidates.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2019, 05:37:55 PM »

How

She's an attractive candidate, personally, doesn't make horrid gaffes, has a reasonably solid record, and generally presents as sensible.  She doesn't have anything that I'd really call a "YUK!!!" factor.  She's not grating on people like Warren, and she isn't someone like Harris, who wouldn't get a second look if she weren't black and female in this identity politics age.  (Gary Peters should get more love for President than Harris, but no one sees this, either.) 

I understand that she's few people's first choice, but she ought to be a backup plan for a lot of folks, because the Democrats have a lot of folks that are too old, too annoying, or too nuts.  Folks that won't play well in the GE.  While I consider Klobuchar a better pick than Gillibrand, it's quite likely that Gillibrand may prove me wrong.  (Indeed, a national ticket of Gillibrand and Klobuchar has the potential of driving the Gender Gap through the roof, and to the Democrats' advantage.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2019, 07:18:29 PM »

How

She's an attractive candidate, personally, doesn't make horrid gaffes, has a reasonably solid record, and generally presents as sensible.  She doesn't have anything that I'd really call a "YUK!!!" factor.  She's not grating on people like Warren, and she isn't someone like Harris, who wouldn't get a second look if she weren't black and female in this identity politics age.  (Gary Peters should get more love for President than Harris, but no one sees this, either.) 

I understand that she's few people's first choice, but she ought to be a backup plan for a lot of folks, because the Democrats have a lot of folks that are too old, too annoying, or too nuts.  Folks that won't play well in the GE.  While I consider Klobuchar a better pick than Gillibrand, it's quite likely that Gillibrand may prove me wrong.  (Indeed, a national ticket of Gillibrand and Klobuchar has the potential of driving the Gender Gap through the roof, and to the Democrats' advantage.

A very interesting perspective, I must say.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2019, 11:13:30 PM »

https://thefederalist.com/2019/04/25/no-one-likes-you-kirsten-gillibrand/ Wow this is harsh.  I would prefer her to a lot of others in the field. Her big problem is she is missing that X factor.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2019, 11:27:27 PM »

I'm gonna say this- whoever is turned down by the Franken thing is a horrible person. If that's what sank her, seems like many Democrats are assholes. But I don't believe it was- her campaign just didn't find its niche and didn't rise up.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2019, 12:14:43 AM »

Again, not sure if the "open response" type polls count, but with ABC/WaPo releasing another one of those, the candidates who didn't get 1% in the last one but did this time (Booker, Buttigieg, and Klobuchar) all move up by one poll:

Biden 9
Booker 9
Buttigieg 9
Harris 9
Klobuchar 9
O’Rourke 9
Sanders 9
Warren 9
Castro 7
Gillibrand 6
Yang 5
Hickenlooper 4
Delaney 3
Inslee 3
Ryan 3
———qualification line———
Bullock 2
de Blasio 2
Gabbard 2
Swalwell 2
Bennet 1
Kerry 1
Messam 1
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2019, 12:22:30 AM »

I'm gonna say this- whoever is turned down by the Franken thing is a horrible person. If that's what sank her, seems like many Democrats are assholes. But I don't believe it was- her campaign just didn't find its niche and didn't rise up.

Gillibrand deserves to be, and will be, humiliated for what she did during that controversy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2019, 12:39:42 AM »

Gillibrand deserves to be, and will be, humiliated for what she did during that controversy.

Brave wins.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2019, 01:01:28 AM »

I'm not even sure she was the mastermind behind Franken being pushed out. I think the caucus made a decision that day they were done with him and she was just the unlucky first one to tweet it out. It's crazy nobody mentions Harris & Warren both called on him to resign along with Booker they just did it a few mins later.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2019, 02:24:22 AM »

The end result was that Democrats ended up getting a much better Senator, to every Republican's and Libertarian's worst fear. As a result McConnell is so angry that he's fuming.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2019, 03:29:35 AM »

Imagine wanting someone humiliated for standing up against sexual assault. No excuse for a decent human being to do that.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2019, 03:51:45 AM »

Imagine wanting someone humiliated for standing up against sexual assault. No excuse for a decent human being to do that.

I eagerly await any and all evidence that Al Franken committed sexual assault.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2019, 03:55:04 AM »

He literally admitted that he committed sexual harrassment by resigning lol. Plus there are some uh... Pretty obvious pictures
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2019, 04:02:59 AM »

He literally admitted that he committed sexual harrassment by resigning lol. Plus there are some uh... Pretty obvious pictures
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 52  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies