Wisconsin GOP Snowflakes Remove Kapernick from BHM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:12:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wisconsin GOP Snowflakes Remove Kapernick from BHM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Wisconsin GOP Snowflakes Remove Kapernick from BHM  (Read 1428 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2019, 11:06:02 PM »

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2019/02/12/gop-lawmakers-oppose-black-history-month-resolution-naming-kaepernick/2848626002/

Totally not surprised, they would love if they could stop the whole month. I remember them getting fiesta about racist statues and not “removing history”.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:08:11 PM »

Who on earth trusts a God damned thing Wisconsin does at this point?  They allowed their state to get to a place like this.... they deserve everything they get.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:15:28 PM »

He is a disgrace to the country and not a victim.  The real outrage is that they would try to include him in the first place when there are so many more deserving people out there.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:26:51 PM »

He is a disgrace to the country and not a victim. The real outrage is that they would try to include him in the first place when there are so many more deserving people out there.

Pielover
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:32:48 PM »

The racism JUMPED out
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 07:06:19 AM »

Kapernick's movement isn't "Black History"; it's American Current Events.  It raises many legitimate issues that need to be discussed, but the "kneeling" is a slap at our Armed Forces and Veterans.  It's taking frustrations over criminal justice issues out on the wrong group of folks.  And it's an issue where there are two sides to at least some of the issues Kapernick is raising; it's not the one-sided matter that Slavery and Jim Crow Segregation are.

That being said, it's a controversy that the GOP could have simply ignored, in the name of fostering Good Will.  The issues raised by Kapernick have merit and ought to be discussed by serious people dedicated to a solution (as opposed to the unserious demogoguery surrounding these issues we've been treated to by both sides up until now).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 07:53:46 AM »

Kapernick's movement isn't "Black History"; it's American Current Events.  It raises many legitimate issues that need to be discussed, but the "kneeling" is a slap at our Armed Forces and Veterans. 

How? If the GOP really cared about honouring veterans they'd order the immediate arrest and life imprisonment of Donald Rumsfeld and Tommy Franks.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 08:11:06 AM »

Kapernick's movement isn't "Black History"; it's American Current Events.  It raises many legitimate issues that need to be discussed, but the "kneeling" is a slap at our Armed Forces and Veterans. 

How? If the GOP really cared about honouring veterans they'd order the immediate arrest and life imprisonment of Donald Rumsfeld and Tommy Franks.
or do something to actually help vets like fixing the VA, but we (our entire nation, not just political parties) don't like people in the military as much as we claim to.  Sure, we talk a good game, we wear our lapel pins, throw magnetic yellow ribbons on our SUVs, needlessly thank Active Duty at the air port, but our lack of action on stuff that actually matters to our vets shows we don't really give a sh**t.

(I'm biased here)

oh and screw Kapernick and the WI GOP.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 09:09:30 AM »

Kaepernick kneeling has nothing to do with veterans or the armed forces. That was one of the dumbest misdirections that the right invented, all so they could talk about everything and anything except police brutality.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 09:17:11 PM »

Kaepernick kneeling has nothing to do with veterans or the armed forces. That was one of the dumbest misdirections that the right invented, all so they could talk about everything and anything except police brutality.

Misdirection is the bread and butter of GOP rhetoric. They're like the world's most counter-productive magicians.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:44:44 PM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 12:37:26 AM »

Military families have decided that it, indeed, does.  You people here, who have probably never stood a post or heard a shot in anger, aren't going to be the ones deciding this.

I am not a veteran, but my younger adult son is, having served a tour of duty in Afghanistan.  I can assure you that he, and many military families, view Kapernick as disrespecting them.  That's more his issue than mine, but I don't see his viewpoint as wrong.  And for you to say, "That has nothing to do with veterans . . ." is to dismiss THEIR viewpoints totally.

Kapernick's kneeling hardened the hearts of many people who may well have come to agree with him on the social issues he cares about.  I agree that Kapernick's issues have merit.  I don't agree that Kapernick is some kind of patriot; his motivation is more identity politics than real justice.  I do care very much about criminal justice reform, but I would prefer to discuss the issue with serious people who might be able to make a coherent argument and not people who have struck me as flat-out unpatriotic and anti-American.  I can agree with a decent amount of the issues Kapernick raises, but I'm not going to celebrate his mindset, and that comes with his presentation.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 01:15:33 AM »

Military families have decided that it, indeed, does.  You people here, who have probably never stood a post or heard a shot in anger, aren't going to be the ones deciding this.

I am not a veteran, but my younger adult son is, having served a tour of duty in Afghanistan.  I can assure you that he, and many military families, view Kapernick as disrespecting them.  That's more his issue than mine, but I don't see his viewpoint as wrong.  And for you to say, "That has nothing to do with veterans . . ." is to dismiss THEIR viewpoints totally.

Kapernick's kneeling hardened the hearts of many people who may well have come to agree with him on the social issues he cares about.  I agree that Kapernick's issues have merit.  I don't agree that Kapernick is some kind of patriot; his motivation is more identity politics than real justice.  I do care very much about criminal justice reform, but I would prefer to discuss the issue with serious people who might be able to make a coherent argument and not people who have struck me as flat-out unpatriotic and anti-American.  I can agree with a decent amount of the issues Kapernick raises, but I'm not going to celebrate his mindset, and that comes with his presentation.
It doesn't really matter if military families "decide" that it has to do with them or not. It either is or isn't to do with them, based on the facts and logic. It's about police brutality and equal treatment, and a member of the military had been consulted on how to be as respectful as possible.

(SOME) military members or families FEEL like they should have a monopoly on patriotism, but they fail to grasp what American values actually are now and have been historically. I'm talking about life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, justice, freedom from persecution, and most importantly the First Amendment. FEELING that they should have a monopoly on patriotism doesn't make it a reality. Likewise, white trumpanzees FEELING like they should have a monopoly on America doesn't make it a reality.

Reality doesn't care about your feelings, unless those feelings are based in reality... logic, reason, evidence, facts, et cetera.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 02:05:51 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2019, 02:17:52 AM by GP270watch »

Kaepernick had plenty of support from some veterans. The media just gave a bigger platform to those who were offended and blowhards like Trump who turned it into a literal political football.

The man wanted to discuss police brutality and why in year 2016 it was something Black people still needlessly suffer. Every stupid excuse under the sun was trotted out to talk about everything except that.

I don't know if Kaepernick is a patriot. But I do know that symbols like flags, anthems, and sports means nothing if the values of equality, rights, and freedom that they're supposed to represent are not extended to everyone.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 02:42:56 AM »

Then it's really narcissistic of them to believe that the national anthem is for them, as opposed to for the country as a whole.

The idea that kneeling during the national anthem is an affront to the armed forces specifically suggests that we are just a 21st century Prussia - a military that just happens to have a country it's allegiant to in its spare time.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 07:02:54 AM »

Then it's really narcissistic of them to believe that the national anthem is for them, as opposed to for the country as a whole.

The idea that kneeling during the national anthem is an affront to the armed forces specifically suggests that we are just a 21st century Prussia - a military that just happens to have a country it's allegiant to in its spare time.

The context of standing for the National Anthem during NFL games is a context of honoring America and of honoring those who fought to defend it.  Kapernick and his kneelers are, indeed, making more than one statement by their kneeling.  You'll forgive the fact that my son, who has put himself in harms way on behalf of America (whatever one may think of our Afghanistan policy) takes this personally.  Kapernick doesn't have the right to my son's understanding (or mine, for that matter).
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »

The context of standing for the National Anthem during NFL games is a context of honoring America and of honoring those who fought to defend it.  Kapernick and his kneelers are, indeed, making more than one statement by their kneeling.  You'll forgive the fact that my son, who has put himself in harms way on behalf of America (whatever one may think of our Afghanistan policy) takes this personally.  Kapernick doesn't have the right to my son's understanding (or mine, for that matter).

For decades the players stayed in the locker room for the anthem, but then the military had to pay the NFL for displays of patriotism to have them on the field. Anyone in the military who is then offended by this should resign, because they're clearly not fighting for what they signed up to do.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »

I'm a veteran and I am not the least bit offended by kneeling football players. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 01:23:02 PM »

And you have the right to define Kaepernick's message for him because...?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 06:28:42 PM »

We don't pass laws ordering the arrest & imprisonment of particular people here (thank you 1776!)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »

I'm a veteran and I am not the least bit offended by kneeling football players. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's funny, but most of the people that are pissed off on your unwanted behalf probably aren't veterans, or even know a veteran.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 11:02:51 PM »

It's funny, but most of the people that are pissed off on your unwanted behalf probably aren't veterans, or even know a veteran.

You have no clue if you believe that.

Assert what you just asserted at your local VFW or American Legion and see the response.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 08:30:37 AM »

I'll see your anecdotal evidence and counter with my own that many military personnel and cops support Kaepernick's expression of First Amendment rights.

And WTF is " identity politics" versus " real Justice"?!? Or is that just another way for you to stay perennially triggered by the left in order for you to justify your even tepid support for Trump?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »

You have no clue if you believe that.

Assert what you just asserted at your local VFW or American Legion and see the response.

Frankly put, go to your local VFW or American Legion outside of a black or Latino neighborhood and ask what they think about the police shootings of blacks, and you're going to get some..."interesting" opinions like you would find it any bar full of middle-aged to elderly white guys. Hard pass.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 08:54:36 AM »

This is obviously equally anecdotal, but the two veterans I know both support players’ right to kneel during the national anthem.  Granted, one of them thinks the NFL should also be free to retaliate, but both said they find the idea of players being prohibited from engaging in what is essentially an act of civil disobedience more offensive than anything Kapernick did.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies