Spanish elections and politics II: Catalan elections on February 14, 2021 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:35:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Spanish elections and politics II: Catalan elections on February 14, 2021 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spanish elections and politics II: Catalan elections on February 14, 2021  (Read 195096 times)
Rethliopuks
United Kingdom

« on: April 16, 2019, 07:11:41 AM »

Catalan crisis: PP, Cs and Vox promise to apply Article 155 and introduce direct rule, regardless the dubious constitutionality of such measure. PP is promising to intervene on subjects ranging from education to media outlets; Cs would ask the Catalan premier to comply with the Constitution and intervene in case of negative answer; Vox would rather suppress regional autonomy.

The PSOE is trying to overlook the Catalan conundrum during the campaign. Its proposal is strengthening self-government and opposing both direct rule and independence referendum.

Podemos supports a negotiated referendum in which they'll support that Catalonia remains with an improved self-rule.

Gender issues: Vox advocates the repeal of the legislation against gender based violence. but PP and Cs defend it and want to address issues like the salary gap. PSOE and Podemos seek to strengthen LGTBI rights. The purple party wants to achieve gender parity in institutions like the Cabinet (I thought that was achieved already) or the Supreme Court within a 4 year period. as well as reform criminal legislation to protect victims of sexual assault (the case known as La Manada raised a lot of indignation).

Taxes: Leftist parties want that highest earners, big comapnies and banks pay more taxes. The PSOE announced new taxes on financial transactions and digital services, as well as a higher income tax rate for the wealthy.

The PP promises to cut the highest tax rate from 45% to 40%, bringing corporate tax below 20%, eliminating inheritance tax, estate tax, etcetera. Cs would reduce highest tax rate to 44%, act against corporate tax deductions and eliminate inheritance tax. Vox advocates massive tax reductions.

Even though Cs has vowed not to form a coalition with PSOE, their stances on Catalonia and gender issues are surprisingly compatible.
Rethliopuks
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 10:44:44 AM »

Do you really think so? PSOE supports more self-government for Catalonia and dialogue with separatists, while Cs spokepersons say they have nothing to talk with them. In what regards gender issues, Cs supports surrogacy and the legalization of prostitution. PSOE opposes firmly to surrogacy and its stance on prostitution leans to abolition.

Fair. I was trying to keep my hope high for a PSOE-based coalition I guess 😶
Rethliopuks
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 06:41:52 PM »

Is Electomania seriously getting around the polling ban by pretending to be talking about emojis?
Rethliopuks
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 08:30:43 AM »

A huge proportion of people aren't decided. I'm worried if more of them are right wing voters than left wing ones...especially because it makes sense given how unstablised the right wing is I guess?
Rethliopuks
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 08:20:38 PM »

last demoscopia / okdiario (04/26)

Is Okdiario breaching the polling ban?

Dk, does hairdressing preference reporting count?

okdiario.com/espana/cortes-pelo-raya-derecha-centro-o-barba-hipster-logran-ya-mas-votos-que-izquierdas-4035605
Rethliopuks
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 07:41:34 AM »

This is meaningless observation anyway but the turnout is 1/8 higher than 2016 across Spain, and 1/3 higher in Catalonia. Quite impressive...
Rethliopuks
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 01:20:04 PM »

How long till the results start to come through? I'm not sure if I can bear another late night watching early hope turn into crushing despair... Smiley

In the next minutes, i think results will start coming in. By 22:00h, the overall image will be clear.

Isn't it that you won't get anything until Canary Islands close at 21.00, even though votes would start to be counted?
Rethliopuks
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 05:18:11 PM »

If there’s one thing even I as a relative novice to Spanish politics can be confident of it’s that this election will not hinge on the idiosyncrasies of the vote in Ceuta and Melilla...

If CpM had won that seat, Sanchez wouldn't need to deal with ERC, JxC or Bildu.

Just to make sure I'm not missing anything -- PSOE + UP + PNV + Compromís + PRC = 173, so one seat wouldn't matter, right?

resultados.eleccionesgenerales19.es/Congreso/Total-nacional/0/es
Rethliopuks
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 05:30:28 PM »

If there’s one thing even I as a relative novice to Spanish politics can be confident of it’s that this election will not hinge on the idiosyncrasies of the vote in Ceuta and Melilla...

Just to make sure I'm not missing anything -- PSOE + UP + PNV + Compromís + PRC = 173, so one seat wouldn't matter, right?

PSOE + UP + PNV + Compromís + PRC + CC = 175 only one to magical number...

Thanks -- so it's fine that CCa is conservative then?
Rethliopuks
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 05:35:14 PM »

PSOE + UP + PNV + Compromís + PRC + CC = 175 only one to magical number...

Thanks -- so it's fine that CCa is conservative then?

Yeah, CCa is conservative. They can support PSOE under some limited circumstances, but they are not their preferred coalition party by any means.

Though CC is also, as I like to say, a Marxist party in the Groucho sense. They will change their principles if you bribe them invest more money in the Canaries enough

lol. It's a shame then. If CpM had entered a coalition with either UP or PSOE then the left would have won the seat, per resultados.elpais.com/elecciones/2019/generales/congreso/19/ . I wonder if there was a reason why they did not, though?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies