Spanish elections and politics II: Catalan elections on February 14, 2021 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:14:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Spanish elections and politics II: Catalan elections on February 14, 2021 (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Spanish elections and politics II: Catalan elections on February 14, 2021  (Read 195226 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2020, 05:28:28 PM »

I mean Bank tax and high earner's tax hike.  Last time high earners got hit some football players complained so would it impact 2020 salaries or only 2021?  Mind you even with hike top rates I believe will still be below France and Portugal while higher than Italy, Germany, and England and around the same as Netherlands.

The government just submitted the draft in Congress to implement the so-called 'Tobin Tax', which will take effect three months after its release in the Official Journal (later in this year). Apparently the tax to financial transactions will be set at 0.2% (France would be at 0.3%). Finance minister expects to raise about 850 EUR millions, a drop in the ocean.

Regarding the big fortunes, enhancing tax revenue implies the reform of corporate and income taxes. I get from the news that the government is developing measures to tax SICAVs* , but I can't tell much more at this moment.

*SICAV: A SICAV is an open-ended collective investment scheme common in Western Europe, especially Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Malta, France and Czech Republic.

I thought corporate tax rate would be 3% higher for banks than other corporations?  As for income taxes, isn't the plan a 2% hike on those making over 130,000 Euros and 4% on those making over 300,000 Euros and I know in past football players tend to complain every time top rates go up.  Depending on autonomous community, I believe football players would be taxed at 47.5% to 52% so not highest in Europe but as mentioned higher than Italy, Germany, and England while similar to Netherlands and slightly below Portugal and France.  So I was thinking more that.  I know in English speaking world, pushing top rates over 50% has often been criticized and I believe Sanchez's hike would put marginal rates over 300,000 Euros over 50% in majority of autonomous communities and over 50% on as little as 130,000 Euros in some, so I was wondering how likely this tax hike will be and if so, does it apply to 2020 year or only to 2021 year?  If to 2021 year, I would imagine some football players will want trades to lower taxed countries.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »

How likely is it that the budget will pass?  And if it fails will there be another election which could be dangerous if there is a second wave or do they just rollover the budget again from previous years which could problematic?  I think though after a vaccine is developed could be an election although doesn't look like either side would win a majority but things could change.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2020, 11:43:33 PM »

Galician premier Alberto Núñez Feijóo has finally called the new date for the next Galician regional election, for the 12th of July.

It is extremely likely that Basque premier Íñigo Urkullu will follow suit and call the election for the same date.

Edit: Yup, Basque election confirmed for the same day

With Spain still having over 1,000 new cases a day (they did fall below that today for one day), wouldn't it be better to wait until number of new cases close to zero?  Or at least ensure they have a mail in ballot option for those who don't want to risk going out, especially elderly and immune compromised.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2020, 12:30:25 PM »

Any chance that the budget fails and another election gets triggered (not that it would solve anything though)?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2020, 03:44:57 PM »

Why do they post stuff that comes across like it was made by edgy 15 year-olds.
Well they need to appeal to the younger demographic somehow.

Something that goes rather underrated is that Vox is actually quite weak among old people. They seem to peak among the 30-44 demographic.

However Vox also has an extremely strong vote among young men; and in fact Vox won a narrow plurality among said demographic.

I never know how accurate this is and I tend to post it more often than I should tbh, but here is the graph of vote split by age and gender:

Of course, with Vox the big story is actually the huge gender split and not the age split, but a significant age split still exists.

Am I missing something here? All of the parties except the PSOE have a lower % of the vote than what they obtained.

Not really surprise.  I've found elsewhere, right wing populists tend to do well amongst young males but struggle with young females.  Many young males are angry at poor prospects and right has tapped into this well.  Females tend to express frustration different way.  Also many under 30 are unmarried and if unmarried larger gender gap then when married as influenced by spouse.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2020, 08:37:23 PM »

What are odds budget fails.  I believe sticking points are rent as Podemos want immediate action on that as well as smaller regionalist party but PSOE reluctant.  On tax hikes on high incomes, my understanding is both parties favour it but debate over timing.  PSOE wants to wait until economy recovers and this year limit it to only those over 300,000 Euros (which is largely symbolic as I believe something like 0.1% of Spaniards make over that so not a lot of revenue) while Podemos initially wanted it on every one over 130,000 Euros, but now willing to settle at 200,000 Euros.  Also haven't said if hike will by the full 4 points as promised or a smaller amount.  C's I believe okay with supporting budget but are opposed to tax hikes, but would reluctantly accept on high incomes if cut for middle class.  So what are thoughts on this.  I doubt it triggers an election, but could be delayed I suppose.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2020, 03:44:25 PM »

I believe rent and raise in taxes on high incomes is the dispute.  PSOE favours both but believes now is not time and wants to postpone while Podemos wants them now.  I believe on high incomes, PSOE is open to raising them, but only on those over 300,000 Euros, not 130,000 as originally planned or 200,000 Euros as Podemos wants.  That being said so few make over 300,000 Euros largely symbolic so basically a few to symbolically give Podemos their desire to tax rich more but also ensure it has limited impact. 

Also most in high incomes usually speak a foreign language and due to free mobility in EU can just easily re-locate.  Although in Madrid where the financial sector is, their top rates are quite low compared to most of Western Europe and even after hike will only be in line with Germany, still below neighbouring Portugal and France.  Some autonomous states like Catalonia a bit higher, but my understanding is even after hikes, all will still be below both Portugal and France, but some of the higher ones well above Italy and Germany. 

For rents not an expert on that, but I thought real estate in Spain was quite cheap, at least compared to elsewhere in Europe.  A big reason many British retirees buy property there.  Still this seems an issue in a lot of large cities, especially for millennials.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2020, 11:16:16 AM »

Looks like on tax hike, smaller than initial plan, but my understanding is PSOE wants to postpone tax hikes until economy recovers so if I am not mistaken isn't tax hike on high earners supposed to be larger once economy recovers and this was more just symbolic to get Podemos on side?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies