Freedom in the World: 2019 Report
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:46:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Freedom in the World: 2019 Report
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Freedom in the World: 2019 Report  (Read 1756 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Trump's administration should essentially be viewed as a 'stress test' on our democracy.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »

I wonder why Macedonia is rated as just "party free". It's the only non-green country I've ever been to other than Turkey (but that was in 2002).

Lots of intimidation of the media by the parties, mass corruption, and illegal surveillance by the government. Plus institutionalized discrimination against Albanians.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 02:27:08 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2019, 02:46:57 AM by AndyHogan14 »

Interesting that I have been almost exclusively to "green" countries, but I have still visited each category. The exceptions are Mexico, Morocco, and the West Bank. Hungary is on the list of places to go next, so we'll see if it is still "yellow" by the time I finally make it there.

It's hard to believe that Mexico is "partly free" from my own personal experience in the country. I cross the border into Tijuana with some regularity (although not in a while thanks to the current president's shenanigans at the border) and have never encountered anything close to what is described in news reports...I suppose I should stay away from the states of Sinaloa and Chihuahua, eh? As far as the West Bank is concerned, I never ventured into territory controlled by the PA in any way, so I'm not sure if it truly counts as visiting a "not free" area.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies