Since joining this forum have you moved leftward or rightward? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:33:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Since joining this forum have you moved leftward or rightward? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
Leftward

Rightward

Neither/No Change

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 176

Author Topic: Since joining this forum have you moved leftward or rightward?  (Read 11226 times)
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« on: April 27, 2021, 08:06:31 AM »

"Pissed at everyone" isn't an option here, but I've moved significantly leftward on economics since 2011.  Social views haven't changed much.

Still this.

Socially, I'm still your average 2000's liberal. I've taken more conservative attitudes on these issues because I (for obvious reasons) reject the wholesale replacement of organized religion (and, if we're being honest, civic engagement in general) with online echo chambers. I find the modern popular discourse boring. I think that the "silence (or disagreement with me) is violence" mantra to be totally out of step with liberal ideals. On balance, I would prefer a more conservative society borne out of those ideals and not government-coerced, but that is mostly a cultural criticism than a political one.

Economically, I am a great deal more interventionist, having experienced poverty myself and the way that the destitute are viewed as burdens to society. I no longer have the interest to bother engaging with materialists who still operate on 1980's "greed is good" philosophy or a childlike entitlement complex. I view the extreme economic inequality we are seeing today as a huge problem, but I also don't believe that Marx's unending class warfare is sustainable for the long-term.

And that is where my Catholicism-based Distributism comes into play. Although I disagree with the Christian democratic vision on the government dictating private matters (including marriage, abortion, usage of soft drugs, etc.), I do believe that present economic circumstances, and especially the materialism of the rich and today's temporarily embarrassed millionaires, warrant a religious or spiritual revival so that are all served by serving one another as neighbors, preferably in small non-competing groups of people with similar values, beliefs, and interests.

I also feel like my opinion on these matters carry slightly more weight than a good chunk of the forum here, because the fact of the matter is that most people do not understand what poverty is like because they never experienced it themselves, or ever had to sacrifice their comfortable lifestyles either out of choice or obligation. I won't name names here, but if you feel at all personally attacked or defensive reading this paragraph, you are one of those people this part of my post is referring to.
I get what you're saying, but the point of Marx's class war is for the working-class to eventually win.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies