Since joining this forum have you moved leftward or rightward?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:36:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Since joining this forum have you moved leftward or rightward?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: skip
Leftward

Rightward

Neither/No Change

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 176

Author Topic: Since joining this forum have you moved leftward or rightward?  (Read 10840 times)
Yellowhammer
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2019, 08:39:04 PM »

I’ve stated more or less the same.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2019, 12:57:32 AM »

Really?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2019, 03:54:42 AM »

I definitely feel more left now than when I first joined but I Think it's more about salience of issues, realignment of politics (like the rise of the alt-right) and generally growing up to be a bit more mature and nuanced, versus actually changing much on policy.

I have vaguely drifted a bit closer to the centre on economic issues but my general philosophy remains the same.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2019, 04:23:45 AM »

Both
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2019, 08:25:33 AM »

I’d say the same. Any visible change is just me being more confrontational and open about my beliefs in my time posting on this forum.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2019, 10:33:03 AM »

Leftward since 2011.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2019, 12:10:51 PM »

Been here since 2003.

I drifted rightward until about 2011 then slowly leftward then extremely leftward and anti-capitalist over the last year. The centre-rights coddling of reactionism and the failure of the political centre completely by trying to find a 'both sides' argument when dealing with proto-fascism has swung me harder left than I thought I would be at 34.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2019, 09:18:27 PM »

Steady for my first several years here, but leftward since the rise of Trump.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2019, 10:31:38 PM »

Very much leftward, and much more anti-establishment.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2019, 11:24:55 PM »

I've had a shift on drug policy that would probably be considered a "leftward" move, but I consider it a move towards more constitutionalist consistency. I used to be a massive drug warrior and supported large-scale federal involvement in drug policy. I now realize that the entire Federal war on drugs is predicated on a ridiculously loose interpretation of the Commerce Clause in the Constitution. States are supposed to be tasked with police powers "to establish and enforce laws protecting the welfare, safety, and health of the public.", and that is where drug policy should be left.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/police_powers
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2019, 11:44:00 PM »

Rightward
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2019, 11:28:28 AM »

I've had a shift on drug policy that would probably be considered a "leftward" move, but I consider it a move towards more constitutionalist consistency. I used to be a massive drug warrior and supported large-scale federal involvement in drug policy. I now realize that the entire Federal war on drugs is predicated on a ridiculously loose interpretation of the Commerce Clause in the Constitution. States are supposed to be tasked with police powers "to establish and enforce laws protecting the welfare, safety, and health of the public.", and that is where drug policy should be left.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/police_powers
you've always had a libertarian streak
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2019, 09:12:40 PM »

Oddly enough, I would say rightward. But that's been true in real life also, mostly since the 2016 primaries.

back in high school I used to be made fun of for being invested in politics, specifically for being so left with my politics. Then when the 2016 election came around, which was post-college for me and most of the people I talk to, suddenly I was being called an "establishment centrist" and whatnot for not being gung-ho about Bernie Sanders.

It's common for people to become more liberal when pursuing higher education so I guess it's not so much that I have moved further to the center or right, but perhaps becoming more pragmatic as my peers have become more idealistic, even though I am probably still the same degree of left wing as I was in high school and college.

As such, when I joined this forum last year, that has remained the case as I am surprised to find myself disagreeing with maroon avatars almost as often as I squabble with blue avatars.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2019, 06:05:04 AM »

Since first joining under original username way back in the day?  Way to the left.  WAAAAAY.  I used to be very libertarian.  As I've gotten older I've come more to the realization not that government is great or that big government is an ideal but that big corporations and other private organizations that yield a lot of power are just as much of a threat to a free and just society.  And said organizations infect both parties like a cancerous tumor.  In this country money talks, bullsh*t walks.  The only way to stop these parasites and guarantee a healthy democratic society for all is to keep them on notice and make them work for us.  Not the other way around.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2019, 02:44:43 PM »

i don't really think in terms of left and right. but i'm sure most people would perceive me as having become more right-wing so i went with that
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2019, 07:29:18 AM »

No major change in policy. The big change for me was in tactics and what approach I think socons should take to politics.

Would be curious if you could elaborate on this.
^^^

Sure. To start, I was a fairly standard religious right tactician. I.e. Use the power of the religious and non-SJW nones disgusted at liberal overreach to achieve legislative victory. That seems way too optimistic in hindsight. Tongue

If we compare the culture war to a real war, the religious right in the 1980's and 90's was like an overmatched country whose generals were able win some unexpected victories. In response, the leadership thought they were going to take the enemy's capital, and completely ignored our inferior numbers and logistics.

The older generation of religious right leaders has spent a lot of time and money electing Republican politicians and has achieved some surprising legislative victories, but they've confused this for cultural power. Consequently you get leaders acting as if victory is just over the next hill while our youth retention rate declines and institutions stagnate. In short, we have spent too much election orthodox Christian pols and not enough discipling new orthodox Christians.

Think of all the money that has been spent on socially conservative think tanks, election campaigns, legislative efforts etc. I posit that the religious right, especially the Evangelical part of it, would be in far better shape today if those funds had been spent on Christian schools, hospitals, evangelism and outreach.

Now, this doesn't mean I embrace the political quietism that many millennial socons talk up. That is a foolish overreaction to the excesses of the past. It's not like we're going to be actively peresecuted, but orthodox Christianity is experiencing a backlash and it is getting harder to be a Christian in certain cases. Acting as if that won't be a problem if we're winsome and abstain from divisive politics strikes me as naive.

In short, the old religious right was broad in scope, national in character, and attacking by nature, based on the false assumption that it had cultural hegemony. I think we need to get focused, local and defending. What does that mean in practical terms? Political engagement should mostly be limited to:
1) Defending the right to fully practice our faith against narrow secular definitions of freedom of religion
2) Shoring up our cultural institutions
3) Issues of fundamental justice where we have some hope of making a difference.

I'm deliberately being a bit vague here. It might be school vouchers in one state, letting a mosque get built in another etc. Practice will vary from place to place. Mainly I am trying to get away from the annoying trend of our leaders either shoehorning the Bible into a partisan position or relitigating issues that we've clearly lost. There has been some change in attitude as a newer generation of leaders takes over, but its not happening fast enough and that worries me.

Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2019, 10:21:08 PM »

Economically more leftwards, but it’s truly a mix. I’m somewhat of a Chestertonian distributist on economics. I’ve moved to the right socially because of my disgust of libertarianism.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2021, 11:58:20 AM »

Started as a Christian Right conservative. Began drifting further rightward, but then drifted gradually leftward on social issues. After the virus happened, though, I took a hard left turn and  moved to the Center. Then I discovered I’m LGBTQ+ and moved even more left socially.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2021, 12:04:19 PM »

Neither, just more tactically aggressive.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2021, 12:26:28 PM »

My actual stances on a yes or no questionnaire probably haven't changed too much since 2015 (apart from a couple issues like immigration), but my disposition towards them and how I look at politics has changed a lot.  You grow up a lot between being a 18 year old college freshman and a 25 year old in the real world.  Plus, I've had a significant religious conversion in that period as well that has certainly impacted how I see the world.  I would also say that is responsible both for my change of heart on certain issues and for my current heavy focus on religious issues and social conservatism.

Then, it probably depends on the environment I am in and what issues are currently salient as to how I come across.  It's different being a conservative at Vanderbilt versus in an ultra-conservative evangelical bubble like I am now; for example, friends from my young adults ministry were playing this game where people had to say if they like a person/place/thing or not.  When Joe Biden came up, a grand total of zero people said they liked him...and all of the guessers correctly predicted that absolutely nobody would like Biden.  I actually get in more disagreements from the "left" in real life than I do from the "right", apart from when talking with people from previous stages of my life.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2021, 12:26:52 PM »

Leftward economically, rightward socially through 2018. A little leftward on both fronts since then but not much.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2021, 01:11:50 PM »

Joined in 16. Moved leftward during the Trump years and am now moving rightward again. So I guess no change. Whoever is in power is the biggest threat.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2021, 01:21:31 PM »

I haven't changed much, though I'm not sure whether I've actually moved left on immigration, or it just seems that way since the country as a whole has charged to the right.

Upon further reflection, I've definitely shifted somewhat leftward on economics, maybe very slightly to the right on social issues apart from immigration. I'm also now positive that I haven't shifted on immigration, but my views which probably wouldn't have been controversial at all during the Obama years are probably considered left-wing extremism, since "moderate" on immigration seems to have gone from "we need to reduce illegal immigration but treat those who haven't committed violent crimes like human beings" to "let's restrict legal immigration more but not be too cruel about it."
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2021, 01:23:27 PM »

Slightly left, but I've been more stable in my views than most other posters.  I didn't post here until I was 25; this forum is obvious proof that adolescents, even the few who pay attention to politics, can be rather unstable in their opinions.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2021, 01:34:52 PM »

As certain views have evolved and developed I generally seem to end up in the same place relatively speaking.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies