Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:48:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 69973 times)
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: February 06, 2019, 04:30:39 PM »

Committing actual election fraud to steal a state legislative chamber is far worse than anything Northam/FairFax/Herring did/are being accused of, no questions asked. We should not let someone guilty of such election fraud become Governor in any circumstance.

FairFax is innocent; the allegations against him are false.
Herring only made a minor bad joke when he was 19 years old that he has sincerely apologized for, and clearly shows that this does not resemble his current behavior.
Northam is the only of the 3 who actually needs to go.

#KavanaughForPrison

Okay then.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #876 on: February 06, 2019, 04:37:22 PM »

She says she won't press charges and isn't doing interviews... So I see now reason why Fairfax has to go.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #877 on: February 06, 2019, 04:40:33 PM »

She says she won't press charges and isn't doing interviews... So I see now reason why Fairfax has to go.

But I thought her story was "likely accurate."

Northam needs to go asap, but it's getting clearer and clearer that Fairfax terrifies both the right and the Dem establishment.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #878 on: February 06, 2019, 04:40:40 PM »

If she did an interview, people would realize that she was lying.
So this makes sense that she is trying to avoid attention.

Fairfax can stay.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #879 on: February 06, 2019, 04:45:47 PM »

#believewomen. Especially emmitt till's accuser.

You’re comparing Dr. Vanessa Tyson, an African American liberal woman with a released press statement, to the racist white accuser that got Emmitt Till lynched and brutally murdered?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #880 on: February 06, 2019, 04:47:26 PM »

You’re comparing Dr. Vanessa Tyson, an African American liberal woman with a released press statement, to the racist white accuser that got Emmitt Till lynched and brutally murdered?

Both people lied to destroy black men.

And lol at "released press statement" meaning something deep to you.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #881 on: February 06, 2019, 04:47:38 PM »

If the allegations against Fairfax prove to be true he can go. But clear and proven racism is far and away worse than allegations of a possibility that something MIGHT have happened.

That “something” was rape.

good luck proving it happened. Like I said, proven racism is worse than unproven rape.

Tbf you do seem like the type of person who would find black face hilarious

Are you talking about yourself? LOL
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #882 on: February 06, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »

Not doing interviews to avoid death threats for horrible human beings like Horus, henster and the ever-amoral and severely challenged solid98723 is probably her best choice. She spent money on a legal team to let the public know a man is a public danger, and she can wipe her hands of it as she pleases. She did her part.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #883 on: February 06, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »

So you're saying it's about black-on-black crime?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #884 on: February 06, 2019, 04:50:25 PM »

Why are you immediately jumping to the conclusion that she’s a liar?

Have you always been this cruel to survivors of sexual assault?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #885 on: February 06, 2019, 04:50:44 PM »

There IS a huge difference though. "Mental puberty" ends LONG after physical puberty. The brain's development continues well into the 20s and doesn't complete until around 25.

A 19-year old is still a teenager and mentally hardly any different from teenagers who are still minors. A 25-year old is mentally a fully developed adult.
"mental puberty" isn't a thing.  If it is, it's something that occurs your entire life.

You're talking about brain development.  And you're assuming the photo was taken when Northam was 25.  Could it not have been taken when he was 22 or 23?  This was, after all, his senior yearbook, no?  With your logic, he still wouldn't be a fully developed adult when the photo was taken!

And that begs the question:  Where is the line?  What year between 19 and 25 does it become unforgivable to wear blackface?  Is it 21?  22?  24?  Does it depend on the person?  Where the person grew up?  The cultural norms he grew up in?

Where is the line?  We know these things are on a continuum but the law requires a line.  Where is it?

Frankly I don't think dressing in blackface at 19 or 25 warrants a resignation 30 years later or anything beyond an apology. But a 19-25 year old or hell even a 15-year old should be able to see the problem with dressing as a KKK member.
Well, I can't disagree with that as someone from relatively white Minnesota.  But I recognize the south is different... but I am not really familiar with these different mindsets... especially in a 30 years ago context.

I am wary to demand political blood for even pretty big mistakes like this in a politician's past using the morals and expectations of the present.  This cuts both ways... in a much more severe case, a society that becomes authoritarian and fascist rounding up gay people who once lived freely and out of hte closet... based on past behavior.

I would most like to see them taking responsibility for their actions (which Herring only did once it became clear it could be a liability) and people forgiving them and instead trying to learn from the moment to help reduce racism.

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #886 on: February 06, 2019, 04:51:16 PM »

Why are you immediately jumping to the conclusion that she’s a liar?

Have you always been this cruel to survivors of sexual assault?

Are you always this quick to presume guilt over innocence?
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #887 on: February 06, 2019, 04:53:04 PM »

Please tell me why a liberal college professor with a secure job at a well-funded institution would thrust herself into public with false rape allegations to ruin the career of the Democratic Lt. Gov of a state 2,000 miles away.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #888 on: February 06, 2019, 04:54:59 PM »

Please tell me why a liberal college professor with a secure job at a well-funded institution would thrust herself into public with false rape allegations to ruin the career of the Democratic Lt. Gov of a state 2,000 miles away.

Bit strange that she waited until Northam was in hot water to start talking. I do wonder who paid her.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #889 on: February 06, 2019, 04:55:11 PM »

Unless one of the two sides presents some kind of evidence I don't see how anyone can claim to know what the truth is.
A testimony = evidence. Get with the program.
You know how dangerous an idea that is right?
Which is why I'm not serious. But Democrats were when Kavanaugh was accused, so they need to use the same standard for Fairfax.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #890 on: February 06, 2019, 04:55:52 PM »

We are not going to hand the Governorship off to someone who is only in the line of succession in the 1st place due to them having committed actual election fraud to get themselves there.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #891 on: February 06, 2019, 04:56:12 PM »

Lol, looks like I was right about everyone having skeletons in their closet. Now this is obviously different from the two blackface incidents, but still my point stands. Also just because a story can't be corroborated doesn't mean that it's not true. Most sexual assaults are one on one situations without an audience.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #892 on: February 06, 2019, 04:56:45 PM »

Bit strange that she waited until Northam was in hot water to start talking. I do wonder who paid her.

So you will completely deny that she spoke to Washington Post and friends over a year before Northam was in hot water in spite of WaPo's confirmation?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #893 on: February 06, 2019, 04:57:00 PM »

The more and more you post, the more and more we get to see who you truly are.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #894 on: February 06, 2019, 04:58:44 PM »

Surely cuz she be trippin'. Fairfax probably uses another word in place of the pronoun though.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #895 on: February 06, 2019, 05:00:05 PM »

Surely cuz she be trippin'. Fairfax probably uses another word in place of the pronoun though.

So subtle.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #896 on: February 06, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »

Obviously what Herring did is wrong and blackface is certainly wrong.

But he's apologized without a story haven been run, and seems committed to reconciliation. Three resignations doesn't help anyone, I see no reason why Herring should or would resign.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #897 on: February 06, 2019, 05:04:54 PM »

Force Dems to changs EC strategy and force Harris to pick Sherrod Brown as a Veep candidate instead of someone from another state.

It will be Kamala-Brown v Trump-Pence
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #898 on: February 06, 2019, 05:05:52 PM »

So subtle.

You've covered your ears and screamed while people posted every fact in the case. What other explanation do you have for the facts?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #899 on: February 06, 2019, 05:06:29 PM »

Northam is a grade A moron and a (former?) racist.

Fairfax, if true, is a monster.

No comparison.

The "if true" caveat only applies to Fairfax, but due to his skin color the #metoo neolibs have already convicted him.

You don't have to have positive feelings about #MeToo to understand how serious and likely accurate this story is given the motivations of the involved parties, the timeline, the amount of graphic detail and especially every single aspect of the Fairfax response. He's done everything short of saying "I raped her."

I'm not sure his response shows that.  One day he's been put forward as the great hope for Virginia's immediate future by the entire national Democratic Party, the next he's probably lost his chance of ever furthering his political ambitions. Any narcissist might react this way even if they weren't guilty.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies